Schwinn 1999 Mesa GSX Hardtail Bike

Schwinn Mesa GSX

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

EVERYTHING PRACTICALLY...OMG THIS BIKES ROCKS.

well i stripped the bottom bracket and therefore stripped the crank arms but now that they are replaced and a new lock bolt is installed its good to go!

I NEVER WOULDA FOUND A BETTER DEAL ON ANYTHING. I was riding a walmart bike and it literally fell apart when i tried urban with my friend, that was on like 2 ft drops...i recently did a 9 ft to flat huck on this bike and rode off. I am totally amazed this bike hasn't broken...i've never even dented the rims!! just have to get them trued every other month. all i've replaced is th cranks, bb, and my rear tube once. oh and new grips just put on after a year. the stock grips turn your hands black but if you really into riding get some nice fox gloves for 30 bucks. had mine for about 9 months and dont have a hole in them. this frame would give out i'm sure if you don't land right. i learned early on to rear wheel it trials style but if you want STRONG lightweight aluminum (my complete bike is 24.3 lbs) then this is a great bike...the hubs ARE AMAZING as well...get this bike ESPECIALLY if you just wanna do XC. i did some fast DH runs the other day over rocks and only problem i had was my chain kept comin off...but dh you dont really need to pedal. BUY THIS BIKE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE

Kyle Miller   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Srong frame holds up on big jumps and fairly decent parts except saddle

Saddle is a little hard but overall great bike and holds up on big jumps repeatidly

Extremely Strong frame, good brakes if tweaked right, rims bend easy I bought new with lots of spokes and turned them all tight, LOVE the rapid fire shifter, WEAK fork springs on the manitou mag fork BUY UPGRADED SPRING KIT

Similar Products Used: Mongoose downhill bikes LOT heavier and did not hold up as well
joe slonecki   Racer [Oct 04, 2001]
Strength:

Good Frame, Very comfy to ride. Stable at speeds and very agile on technical stuff. Same frame geometery as Schwinn Homegrowns. Overall a great pacage for the weekender

Not Race Ready

not a bad ride

chris   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2001]
Strength:

strong frame

to heavy

a good bike to start out w/ but you shoukd bye new part when you get the money but bye if part are on sale, i got spinergys m-1 for 350 i saved 350, the crank for 90 i saved 110, the bb for 45 i saved 15, the bar for 19 i saved 20, the stem for 15 i saved 10. all toghter i saves 505 that is a lot of money to bye more parts.

Similar Products Used: none
Rob   Racer [Dec 10, 2000]
Strength:

Good tough frame, TEKtro Brakes, Price, Fork is soft and mushy so it handles pot holes great, and It's a Schwinn.

DRIVETRAIN and Seat Hurts!

Its a great bike for the city, not a good bike if you plan to ride on rocks.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn BMX
MIke   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2000]
Strength:

Price, Frame, strength
I crashed doing 20+MPH, (hit a tree downhill) and didn't bend a thing.
Brakes are strong when tuned right.
Rapid fire shifters are responsive.

Front fork. Rock Shox Jett.
It seems a little too stiff for most trail riding.

Solid bike for the price. My buddy rides a Moab 2 and I can go anywhere and do anything he can. Climbing works great. Never had the drive train wear out (I'm trail riding 3 times a week, and city jumping 2 times)
Indestructable frame, decent front fork, but a fluid damper would be better. (manitou or judy)
I do experience some chain sux, but proper cleaning of the chain has prevented it.
I'd recomend this bike to anyone who wants a great performing hard tail and doesn't have $1000.00 to spend.

Similar Products Used: none
Jeff B   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2000]
Strength:

Tough frame, great looking bike

Drivetrain, Brakes

Bought this bike as a beginner and tore up the drive train pretty quickly, and the brakes just couldn't cut it on those Arkansas downhills. All in all I love this bike, but I sure had to do a lot of upgrades to keep it going. I don't recommend this bike to anyone with aspirations of becoming more than a weekend joy rider.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M50, GT Aggressor
Matt Huszar   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2000]
Strength:

Good frame, Breaks

Shocks

I bought this bike as a beginer. Now I can ride almost anything I can get my hands on.

Teri   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

Price, durability

Gear shifting

I started out a beginner with no experience at all on a mountain bike at age 25. I bought this bike for about $400, and got a 15 inch frame. This bike has held up well, considering all the crashes it has endured. I have not felt I needed to upgrade any of the parts because so far the bike has suited my needs.

The only problem I have really experienced is in the shifting. It shifts slowly, and therefore loses some power when you try to go uphill. I'm sure I need to get the gears/shifter looked at, maybe it's just a problem because of a crash. It also seems to miss a gear or two when shifting.

This is a great bike for a beginner, and great value for the money. I believe it is a good bike for a woman, but make sure you get the right size before you buy it. Now that I've ridden trails on it, I wish I would have gone with the 17 inch frame size. I'm 5'6", and the 15 inch frame feels too small.

Mum   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2000]
Strength:

Frame,Climb(higher gear than most)

Components,saddle,fork

It has a good frame(same as a moab). If you don't have much desire for good conponents this is a good bike for you. Spend a little more money. If you get this bike you will spend a lot on upgrades.