Santa Cruz 1999 Chameleon XT Hardtail Bike

1999 Chameleon XT

1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon XT, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

jay salaya   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

no flexing, feels very solid

heavy

I have a 99 heckler, no complaints, really, really good for all around and cross country, but when it comes to climbing and serious riding, this chameleon rules, period. Low maintenance, easier to control, except for one thing, a must for rear swing arm, a lizard skin, to protect from chain scratches and noise.

Similar Products Used: santa cruz heckler
Puppet   [Oct 18, 2001]
Strength:

everything unique about the bike: SingleSpeed, Super strong both laterally and in every other dimension possible. Geometry gives me everything I could possibly ask for and more. It makes me feel like the only limit to what I can or can't ride is my own skill level.

It makes me feel like my only limit is my own skill level.

I love my bike. No Regrets. Frame is more than worth it. the components all depend on you wheeling and dealing w/ your LBS. I ride it for everything set up as is - singlespeed. Cross Country in the Rocky Mountains and South Central Ontario, Trials and Urban Assault, Dual Slalom, and yes indeed, Downhill at Fernie when I'm feeling like a lazy s.o.b and wanna take the chairlift up.

Similar Products Used: the bike is unique.
Linda   Racer [Apr 06, 1999]
Strength:

The stiffness of this frame is amazing. This makes a pleasure out of cimbing that I think is worth the weight of the bike. I found the front wheel they spec the bike to have a little flex, but thats a simple up-grade.

This is great bike for trail riding and as a mid-level XC it also. I had almost no complants with the components Santa Cruz specs with it. No house brands =).

Chris   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2001]
Strength:

My hands would fall of before I could finish typing the list.

Hmm, hmm, well yeah...

So I'm about to leave for college and, having sold my s-works a year before, my brother say's, "i got a bike for ya". He then mails me a chamelion frame. I didn't really know much about the bike, but built it up and rode it around a bit. I have to say, this bike is above all, fun to ride. Its (how i have it built) like a great big bmx that is actually nice to ride. It does everything else well too though, I love doing downhill on it and just riding it from place to place, turns cross campus commutes into something to look forward to.

Buy this bike, that's all i can say.

Similar Products Used: Not really similar but...
Specialized S-Works M2
Ty Winty   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2001]
Strength:

Where do you start. This is the best Hardtail period. The build quality is excellent, the angles just work. I like the horizontal drop outs as for the rare occasions I have to change a rear wheel its is no trouble. The cables route well and to date I have had no challenges. Ok its not the lightest and its quality may not be as good as the high end Klein were pre Trek but this is not a weakness because once you ride this bike you will forget all that.

Decals scratch off (remind me to ask Santa Cruz for a new set). I would have liked a few more water bottle mounts. I sometimes knock my heals on the stays as they are so fat!

This bike handles like no other. I have 12 bikes, some worth 10 times as much, but this is by far my favorite to ride for all occasions. Ride it to the shop, cycle toured for two months and 3000kms towing a BOB trailer, rode the slickrock trail several times. This is the fun bike to do it all on. I will never sell or pass on this frame.

Similar Products Used: Own/ed Klein Fevor, Scott Pro Racing, Specialized FRS M4, Intense Tracer (this rocks too), Trek 8000, Trek Y-22 and tested many others... Nothing is as good for the bucks as the Chameleon and the only one I even get close to riding as much is my Intense and Serrotta road bike.
Richard   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

Single speedable, light enough, tough

no rear disk mount, horizontal dropouts make the rear wheel a bit of a pain to mount and remove

Bought the bike used and i feel like i was born with the bike attached to me. I origonally sold my car to buy it as a backup-commuter but after a week I sold my k2 4000 because i knew i would't be riding it anymore. I simply love the way this bike handles, the only problem with it is that I cannot blame the bike for my lack of skills anymore (my k2 had really funny geometry). The only person I couldn't reccomend it to would be a technophile, gram counting racer. The weight is by no means bad, but their are fancier and lighter bikes available around the same price. If you love riding, race from time to time, can only have one bike, tear up bikes fast,want a single speed, ect... then I highly reccomend this bike.