Rocky Mountain 2001 Fusion Hardtail Bike

Snowbird   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Nice Ride, good beginner bike, good weight.

Low-end components don't stand up. Have replace entire drivetrain, constantly breaking spokes and retruing the wheels. Derailer acted like it was tin foil. Tires could be a bit more agressive. Seat is hard... Shocks are only ok.

Great for a beginner bike, but also check out similar Gary Fischer bikes. This is a great bike, but I question if having anything better than say a Gary Fischer Marlin in components, etc. This bike just happened to fit me at the time...and I was willing to pay the price. :)

Not great if you plan to ride multiple times a week. I have probably done over 1000 miles on this bike in the year I have had it, including 550+ this year, so it's probably held up fairly well under my 230 lb load. If you are looking to ride quite a bit, save up and get the higher end components, as they will holdup better.

I seem to endo quite a bit off this bike, but that may be just me - though it could have something to do with the particular frame telemetry... I have managed to wear out the entire drive train in less than a year of riding. Shifting has always been suspect on this bike - and still is.

The bike has crappy control if the shocks are set at anything but the stiffest setting...at which point they seem to be of little help offsetting the trail vibration from roots, rocks and holes. Once again, if you are planning to ride quite a bit of rough stuff, go up-market and get better components.
The real bottom line - this is an awesome bike for a beginner, or someone that doesn't plan to ride too much. If you ride a lot and/or do rougher trails, and/or weigh 190+, you may want something with a better drive train, shocks, and rims. Also, an upgrade in tires worked magic for my hill climbing.

Similar Products Used: Various Treks and Gary Fischer.
Jeff Brooks   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Very strong frame, this little f****r can take repeated 10 foot flat landings (pending on wheels).

The components are downright c**p however they did take alot of abuse, especially because it is an XC bike and i used it in one XC race other thatn that...freeride, dual, dirtjumping and just avout every thing other than cross country.

For how much i used this bike and the abuse i put it through and the price i paid, this bike kicks a** AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Similar Products Used: Devinci Hucker, Rocky Mtn Vapor, Trek 4500, Trek Single Track ect.
maraud   [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

Durable, well-made bike... I had problems with the rims once, brought it back to the shop, they fixed the rims, then rode hard... weird, because now I'm riding harder and the rims put up with it... hmmm. Great bike, my first real MB, just got into it earlier this year, and I can't seem to stop... the tires are great in muddy situations. Although the components are lower end, I haven't had any problems with them. I bring the bike in for regular tune-ups...

- seat's hard as hell, pushed my tail-bone in;
- can't really comment on the forks, haven't tried anything else, sure I get mad bounce on a rocky down-hill;
- the cages on the pedals... not that bad, kept them on for the longest time before I got clipless;
- shifters seem a little hokey, I saw the same ones on bikes at Costco... oh, well;
- the seat, oh yeah, I said that already, but my ass really did hurt from riding on it;

Sweet, sweet bike. Couldn't have asked for a better bike in that price-range. I just started riding this year and it seemed like the perfect bike... it has put with a lot of riding and I haven't had any problems. Would highly recommend it to anyone getting into MBing. I'm eyeing the Oxygen Race for my next purchase, but right now I'll just upgrade a few parts.

If you're starting out, get this bike. I've briefly tried Trek and Specialized, but that was around a parking lot and you can't judge anything on that.

Mike Metelnick   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2001]
Strength:

Very light, Frame feels great.

Very Weak Rims. Shocks are probably not to good for real mountain riding, but fine for casual use.

Buy this bike. Feels great, very light and fast, good for road riding. All I ride are streets, but I don't like road bikes, so this was perfect. Good price. Yeah.

Similar Products Used: brodie alpha, kona blast.
Bryan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2001]
Strength:

The bike is light and agile. It also has good balance when ridden.

The seat bites! I don't think they could have found anything harder if they tried.

In this price range I also looked at the Gary Fisher "Tassajara". I test rode both bikes. The Rocky Mountain was by far the better bike. The Fusion just had a better feel to it. The Tassajara felt a little akward. I don't think you can beat the Fusion for the price.

Luke   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2001]
Strength:

It is a really good and lightweight XC bike. I bought it with the rockshox but they sucked so i but a 2000 bomber Z3 M80 fork on it.

Thoses crappy rims. I spanked them beyond repair so i got some Rhyno lites and Kenda Kinetics tires.

This is a sweet bike for XC and Urban Assault. If you get one, get some different and better rims than those mavic pieces of crap.