Rocky Mountain 2000 Stratos Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy SL, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Scott Lescak   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

Incredibly tough frame, upgradability, cool paintjob

Chain stays not wide enough

This bike has taken a power of abuse, rode a year on the North Shore, a year in Scotland doing similar rides, and has done more drops than the Nortel Stock, and still keeps firing away. Switched to a stronger rim and tire after bending 2 on the shore. Been purrrfect since. Only gripe I have is that there isn't enough clearance for the oversized tire and rim, this causes the tire to rub the chainstay a bit. However as it is a xc bike, I can't complain too much. It handles speed and corners well, and climbs are no problem. The Judy SL leave something to be desired, as adjustments are minimal. However they're okay for your average xc ride. If you are looking for a rugged bike that will take hit after hit this is the bike for you. What can I say? Rocky make great bikes!!

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Ascent, Park Pre Special Comp, Rocky Mountain Spice
Chad S   Racer [Jan 01, 2001]
Strength:

Extremely upgradable, powerful climber, lots of control in the stearing, great components for the price of the bike, great front suspension, overall nice looking bike.

The rocky mountain factory components leave something to be desired, but for the price i can afford to upgrade.

Bottom line: This is a great entry level bike which is very worthy of future upgrades. I have raced with this bike, but i have also put it through hell on drops, jumps, stunts of every kind and it held up through everything, If you have some money, but don't want to spend it all on a bike, but you want something that gives you quality at an unbelievable price then take a good look at the Stratos.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX 850, Giant ATX 870, Rocky Mountain Soul, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Rocky Mountain Hammer Race, Kona Blast, Kona Explosif.
Kevin G   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2000]
Strength:

I finaly got enough money to get a worth while hardtail. I looked around for a while then found the stratos. Its perfect. Its light wieght,has both rockymountain and shimano racing components,extreme fork (Judy SL), and best of all at least a couple hundred bucks less that the equivelent of another company.

Weaknesses, let me think...........................................................NONE!

Best hardtail you can get for under 1100 bucks,killer components,If your a cross-country biker lookin for a racing level bike there's no other bike you should have

Similar Products Used: 2000 Giant Atx 870, 2000 specialized rockhopper pro, and Brodie somethin or other.
Ry   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

Good components
sweet frame
climbs great
fast, while still feeling in control
solid paint job, not flashy

LX front deraiuler
control riser handlebars

I've been out of the sport for a couple of years but I really wanted to get into it again. Needed a bike that could take a beating but also could fit into my budget. Really had a hard time choosing betweeen the Gary Fisher Paragon and the Rocky Mountain Stratos. Liked how the Paragon road, but really liked the frame of the Rocky Mountain and it's upgrade ability. Once I swaped out the control riser handler bars for some straight bars I was sold. Got a good deal ($875). I'm very happy with my choice. No regrets. All in all... Fast bike without compromising control. Climbs like a champ. The Ritchie pedals seem a bit sticky but I don't have much experience with clipless pedals yet. Don't have many miles on the bike,YET, but so far it has been a sweet ride. I'll check back after I've given the bike some beatings to let you know how it is holding up. Check it out. Then get it. For the money you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used: 99'Gary Fisher Paragon
99'Schwin Moab1
99'Specialized M2 Comp
ben kahn   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2001]
Strength:

nice factory setup for price and beginner level. responsive enough for my 220 pounds. Judy XC

disagreements with the Sun CR-18s, Deore hubs. I beat'em good.

good bike, nice price. this is my true intro to mountain biking and the Stratos has made it every bit enjoyable. the rock shox Judy XC performs. its taken my beatings and still running. wanna have fun for your money, get on a bomb proof Rocky Mountain.

Similar Products Used: giant iguana
Aaron   Racer [Jan 30, 2001]
Strength:

Price, durability, has good suspension

Stock tires not that great, shifter for front derailleur has no trim - which makes it impossible to use certain gears without the chain rubbing on the derailleur (I do have it set properly and I am not using inappropriate gears like big and big)

I went out to basically buy an inexpensive bike that would not fall apart on me.

The 2000 Statos seemed to have parts that I thought would stand up to wantever I required from it.

I have done enough trail riding and cyclocross races to realize that this bike was a good buy.

If you think you need to buy an expensive bike to race, you don't, this bike will do the job quite nicely.

Similar Products Used: GT Tequesta 90?, Rocky Mountain Statos 92?, Rocky Mountain Thin Air 94?
Mike   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2001]
Strength:

Light, stiff frame, climbs nicely.

Original components are decent for the price, but some upgrades are in order.

Bottom line is that this was the best purchase I ever made. I got it for under $1000 Canadian, taxes in, with all those upgrades. It's light, even a fatty like me can climb on it, and hopefully more soon. The clipless pedals are new for me but they work great, the frame is perfect as it feels very nice around tight corners, etc..

Overall very nice, but I'm glad I upgraded because I can't stand those stock Gripshifts in the 2001 model.

Similar Products Used: Brodie Brat, RM Soul, Norco Charger(?), Spec. Hardrock Comp (2000), stock RM Stratos
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2001]
Strength:

this is a review for the 2001 stratos: The bike is fast, responsive, and extremely fun to ride. The suspension is nice with it's air and oil open bath system. The compenents are well selected for the price range and I hate to admit it but the paint job if outstanding.

The bike is heavy, and you feel it most on the climbs. Besides that I would get new handlebars, stem and seatpost.

This bike is a great bike for the price, if you are somewhat strapped for cash get it. If cross country racing is in your plans forget it, but the point is the bike can handle a whole lot of abuse and keep on ticking. Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Lescak   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2005]
Strength:

Strong, lightweight frame

clearance for oversized tires

just an update. The bike is now 5 years old and still going strong. I had her out at Scotland's Laggan trail, and she did everything and more that bikes far more suitable were doing. She's light, springy, and responsive. With the pyslo's you get a good aggressive feel on the bike. I've finally decided to retire her though as she's served me well. I love this bike. I'm looking at turning her into a quiet, singlespeed commuter. Nothing fancy, kinda like putting her out to pasture. Cove stiffee or santa cruz chameleon around the corner I think.