Rocky Mountain 1999 Vapor Hardtail Bike

1999 Rocky Mountain Vapor, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-5, 2.5" travel fork

James Teer   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Strong frame with decent components, Canadian made, light.

Most parts have been replaced(used for jumping,freeriding ment
for xc), Z5 had too little travel and isn't very responsive

The frame is tough! It's a xc frame that has taken alot of
bulls**t from my riding and besides the fact that some parts have been replaced with beefier ones is nothing considering I did not use this bike for its intended purpose(and the parts lasted longer than expected).

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mtn. Fusion, Trek 4500/4900, Specialzied Rockhopper
Kona Blast
Troy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2002]
Strength:

Frame Design and Geometry. Great Hand Built Fram for little money.

Tires. Cranks (upgraded to Specialized Strongarms on the shop floor and then recently upgraded to Race Face). Cheap saddle. Seals on the Z5 need to be replaced every year.

The best investment I have made thus far! This bike handles and rides awesome. The frame is why I bought it and every little upgrade has made this bike better and better. I will never buy another hardtail!!!!

Similar Products Used: Lots.....
JK   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 02, 1999]
Strength:

Frame, Responsiveness,

lame-ass shock

Well enginnered frame.Thats this bikes greatest quality. If you buy a bike because it looks cool, then avoid this bike altogether, but if you care about getting a good deal on a hand made Canadian frame then this bike is a steal. The components are a little weak, but I got mine for $650 US. The front shock is a piece of flaming poop. I will be upgrading soon. The B5 air shock tends to leak about 5 minutes into a ride. Its almost dangerous.

Duncan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2000]
Strength:

The frame is a work of art, and at the price i paid for it you simply cant get better, the parts are cheap so you can break them and replace them to your hearts/wallets content

The forks are a bit crap, and I'd change the brake levers, and the pedals (obviously)

I've taken this frame off 6 feet drops, and down the walls of quarrys and its still in one piece thats how good it is.

Similar Products Used: Lots of XC style hardtails
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2000]
Strength:

EASTON handbuilt in BC frame
Marzocchi Z5
decent components

CR18 rims
Sad michelins

A first class machine for about a grand CDN. It is the cheapest handbuilt frame in the Rocky lineup and it appears the parts is where they saved the coin. The fork is spot on and with good adjustability using the standard Schrader valves to adjust the air in each fork leg. I didn't like the riser "freeride-type" setup that came stock as I use this bike to commute and hit the trails so the XC setup suits me better. That being said the frame is light and the parts are nothing to scoff at. The XT rear der is overkill here and the money should have been better spent specing better components elswhere on the bike. The CR18 rims that came stock both had bad seams and were sent back under warranty. Waited FOREVER and so I took the wheels off my other bike and got the shop to build up a set of Rhyno Lites. I digress. I did a lot of research before I bought this bike and I just couldn't find a handbuilt Easton frame with a better parts spec for the money. Rocky should know better than to spell Vapour incorrectly but the finish is sweet and I was fortunate enough to get the blue paint with red decals instead of the silver version they had speced originally. All that is missing is a set of red RaceFace powdercoat cranks and the package will be perfect. Very happy and the bike comes highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: RM Element Race
Giant Rincon
KONA Manomano
Mike Beam   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 1999]
Strength:

Good looking, well built frame,
Marzocchi Shocks,
Something Different from everyone else,
Good starter set of components

None come to mind

Damn fine bike. The components aren't the best, but i prefer that since i have room to customize to my liking. Put Ritchey Mt. Pro clipless pedals on, and a race face crankset. Can take a beating and be fine with the good handbuilt Al frame. i also like the compliments i get for it.

Similar Products Used: Trek 850
bRETT   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 1999]
Strength:

A fantastic starter bike. Perfect for commuing during the week, but more than capable of handling anything you take it into on the weekends.hand built aluminum frame

I don't really like the aesthetic look of the bike, but I love that my biggest complaint is something so superficial. I actually get a lot of compliments about how 'nice looking' it is, so I guess I'm in the minority.The spelling of Vapour is also wrong, using the dumbed-down American spelling instead of the International and correct version. Bad form for a Canadian company.

This is the Bike that you can't beat for the price. Rocky Mountain has been very responsive in my dealings with them (except in their reluctance to use the letter U) and after about 500km on the VapoUr, both on and off road, I have yet to find ant memorable shortcomings.

Similar Products Used: similar bikes from Rocky Mountain, Kona, and GT.
Teradactyl   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 1999]
Strength:

Great frame
Good shocks
Canadian Frame/Company
Reasonable price
Rides great
Good bike to work up with upgrades to components

I can't ride it often enough.

What a great bike. It can perform well beyond my capabilities and can handle anything I've put it up to. It comes set up nicely but since you're working with a great frame, good shocks and mediocre components it leaves you a lot of room for adding fancy stuff. Plus the initial price is reasonable.
I had to go out of my way to find a dealer in Texas. It was worth it. Phat Tire in Dallas is a great shop. They'll work with you and get you set up. www.phattire.com

Similar Products Used: Trek and Specialized w/ approx. equivalent components.
Sean Peet   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2001]
Strength:

The frame - the compents - stem - handle bars - brakes

The shocks are good for begginers, but....... I upgraded to Z1s!!!!! The tires.

I use this baby in races placeing in to 3, i ride it like a RM9 and it takes it well, it never gives out on me, other that flats, This is my freeride-road-XC bike, Its great!!!1

Similar Products Used: Norcos - Rockymt spice - others.......
RockyMountainRider   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame, nice brakes, alright beginer shocks, Tires, derailers, almost everything.

stock pedals, cr18 rear rim(fine in front), shocks are for beginers

This bike is great. Its been through hard hits but other than the stock rear rim everything has held up since I bought it in '99. The Z5 Bombers gave out on me but the new shocks are the best I have ever ridden with. I've tried my friends bikes but they all force you to sit to far ahead in the saddle so I think I'll keep my bike for awhile to come. Although it was made for XC racing, the 1999 Vapor is great for people who like to freeride but don't want/0r are able to buy a full suspension. Just a word of advice if you are going to use it for any serious freeriding, get longer shocks.