Raleigh 2001 M80 Hardtail Bike

Vociferous   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2010]
Strength:

Frame gives a feeling of confidence, while still being light. Vuelta VXC rims are very tough. Suspension seatpost is light and effective. WTB Velociraptor tires are awesome in mud and loose dirt, scree. Lava Blue color is attractive.

Shifting system needs adjustment frequently. Tektro brakes need adjustment more then they should.

I saw an Eldorado Gold 16" in the shop in Oct 01', but couldn't manage the half grand at the time. Come March of 2002, they still had a Lava Lamp Blue, so I grabbed it.
The bike has been both sturdy and light for me, and even the original Joytech hubs did their job well (will be upgrading front wheel to Mavic Crossride).
I'm hoping to keep the paint (decals) looking somewhat intact.
This is a great bike as long as you are not planning on winning any races. As far as the pedals go, I had no real problem with the stock ones (I upgraded to vintage Suntour Bearpaw). Regarding the seat.., go to a Serfas RX and with the suspension seatpost, you'll never feel another bump. The Magnum shocks can take jumping off a 12" curb at high speed if I keep them cleaned and oiled, so they are fine with me until I can upgrade to the Drake.

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky Deluxe, Giant Acapulco, Bianchi Boardwalk.
Big Rob   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

light strong frame, bar ends, double wall rims, suspension seat post, disc mounts

pedals suck!!

for the price it cant be beat, I am 200 lb. the stock 120 lb. manitou spring seems to light am going to upgrade to 150lb.with the red membrane. seat sucked until I figured out how to adjust preload. this is my first suspension bike, I like it. Cant wait to hit the trails!!

Similar Products Used: looked at comparable diamond back, same comp. shocks, wheels and raleigh was cheaper with more extras
Michelle   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2002]
Strength:

Nice feel to the frame, bar ends, susp. seatpost, better components than the competition and more gears

The top of this page says the bike is Chromoly! Wrong!! 6061 oversized aluminum. AWESOME BIKE! VERY comfortable, may not be the lightest out there but she handles everything with grace, dignity and SPEED! My boyfriend who is 180lbs. actually likes the feel of this bike better than his Stumpjumper pro and GT team zaskar!! (so he tells me)

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardrock
he who is called "j"   Downhiller [Dec 14, 2003]
Strength:

Burly aluminum frame w/ smokin' geometry. It's a great compromise between a dirtjumper and an xc frame so it let's you do both very well. The welds on this puppy are sweeeet. It also came stock w/ LX parts all around. You can't beat that deal/value.

Not much that I can see, especially at the price I payed for it. I guess if I had to same something bad about it, I would have to point my finger at the low end Rock Shock Judys. It's got about 2.5' travel and it needs alot more.

No other bike has ever had me riding as much as this one does. Great on the uphills and even better on the downhill runs, jumps and even the skatepark. All the kids laugh until I pull some sick Xups and tables on their precious box jump. Eat my XC/DH dust...

Similar Products Used: Mostly BMX bikes. This is my first true MTB.
Matt Lowell   [Sep 13, 2001]
Strength:

LX Rear D, Deore Front D, Deore cranks, Bar ends, aluminum frame, Good tires, inexpensive, no bull#^&*$## name, excellent componenet group to start off with

sh%$#ty seatpost, heavy seat, sh&%$#ty brakes, sucky front shox, stem too high, sh&%$$#ty rims

this is a wonderful bike, I have been striken by upgrade fever. I love my bike and I ride it to work all the time. It is an urban warrior. Buy this bike if you want to make an investment that will last a while. I traded in my GF mamba and one very ancient raleigh 10 speed for this bike (me and my wife got matching M80's) and i figure if raleigh lasted that long, why not stay loyal.

Similar Products Used: gary fisher mamba
Ray   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

Price, Aluminum frame, Manitou Magnum shock, great looking gold paint job. Real smooth shifting and nice comfortable riding bike.

Brakes seems a bit light, but not enough to outweight its strenghts.

Was shopping for the last month or so and could not pass the deal up. After seeing the many positive reviews, it was a no brainer. Was perfect for a novice like myself, who is not looking to stay a novice long or come up with more $$$ for a new bike anytime soon.

Similar Products Used: Have a Diamondback, Sorrento. This is my first suspension bike.
John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2001]
Strength:

frame, drive-drain is by far the best in this price range

brake levers are junk, pedals are horrendous, suspension seat-post is probably history too, also not a huge fan of the Judy TT fork, it doesn't handle big hits very well in my opinion and I'm around 165 lbs. People seem to either love or hate the gold paint job. Personally, I think it's hideous so I went with the blue.

I was looking for a solid, entry-level suspension bike to tackle the trails without spending a fortune and I think I found the best option. I rode several different brands and models and for the money, the M80 had the best components in the areas that really count. This bike can be a pretty kick-ass ride with a few upgrades. If you're like me and don't want to wait around until you can scrape together 1,200 bucks for a bike, then I highly recommend the M80.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4900, Giant Rainier, Schwinn Moab,Gary Fisher
KRIS TACHNA   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

FRAME STIFFNESS JUDYTT FORK

PAINT CHIPS EASILY FACTORY M440CRANK HAS ALL STEEL CHAINRINGS

I HAVE PUT OVER 1000MILES ON THIS BIKE IHAVE REPLACED EVERY THING ON IT THE FRAME IS LIGHT AND STIFF THE FORK IS STRONG AND NEEDS NO MAINTANCE ITS FAIRLY PLUSH HOWEVER I WILL BE REPLACING THAT TO WITH A DUKE XC THIS WAS MY FIRST REAL MOUNTAINBIKE IT SERVED ITS PURPOSE I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO ANY ONE ITS CHEAPPRICE AND GOOD COMPONENTS MAKE IT FUN AND EASY TO UPGRADE

Similar Products Used: GIANT,TREK,HARO
Florin   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2001]
Strength:

Good frame, and excellent derailers.

Extremely bad pedals. Grips melted after 3 mo. Brakes are not very good. It feels somehow cheap.

I purchased this bike mainly because of the reviews on this web site. Overall the bike is OK, however after 3 mo of riding it I would probably recommend my friends to look for a different brand. This is mainly because some components feel very cheap and don't perform to the task. My pedals are dead already, the gel-grips melted, the brakes are not very good and the Manitou shocks are soft. The upgrades you need for this bike will put it in the same price range with the brand-name bikes.
I think is fair to say that with all these flaws, I still enjoy riding this bike.

Similar Products Used: Tried Trek and Schwinn before I decided to buy this one.
Chris Miller   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome Frame! Light and strong. I am 6'2 and 210 lbs and this bike takes the punishment my bigger body frame gives it.Excellent components for the money. Full Shimano drive train.Lx rear derailer with deore everything else.Rockshox Judy TT is a good fork for all around x-country riding.If anything thise bike is overbuilt for the money.This bike proves also that I am not paying for a name. I am paying for a great bike from a company who would rather not advertise and make their bikes $200 less than other companies who have to pump up their prices to pay for ad's.Buy this bike if you want to get into a good, tough bike for less moo-lah.

Factory suspension seat post. Makes alot of creeking noise and has a lot of side to side play.

If you want a "good" bike, you need to spend at least $600.If you want more bike for your money, start with Raleigh or Univega folks!!

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher that had the same exact component set up..Only it was $750.