Raleigh 1999 M600 Hardtail Bike

Raleigh 1999 M600 Hardtail Bike

1999 Raleigh M600, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore LX/XT components, Answer Manitou Spyder R, 3.1" travel fork

[Jul 15, 1999]
Ed

Strength:

Component package, precise shifting, lightweight aluminum frame, warranty, GREAT looks, price, made in USA!

None, other than they are disappearing fast in lieu of yet-to-be-seen 2000-year models. Also, I hear its quite a hot number with bike thieves!

Snap one up if you can still find one in the stores. No idea what the 2000-model replacement will be like, but this is a hard act to beat when you look at the quality of components you get for the price. Best bike I've ever owned.

Schwinn Moab
Specialized Rock Hopper
Marin Rocky Ridge
Diamondback(s)
Cannondale(s)

[May 29, 2001]
Mel

Strength:

tough and rugged..takes a nice beating. Climbs well.

I weigh 150 and its little heavy but not incredibly whale-ish. Seat is very hard and narrow... (seat not recommended for men or big butts). (p.s. Stupid decals)

Great bike - A lot of fun! Nine thumbs up..good price for new riders and value for bike.

[Dec 03, 2000]
Austin
Downhiller

Strength:

Frame is Strong
great price

Manitou fork
Shimano Xt rear deraller
LX Shifters

This is a great bike for the price When i first got it i didnt really do a whole lot of hard stuff so stock components were fine. but i later upgraded to better forks and components. THe frame is really strong Ive done 5 foot drops with numerous times without it breaking. The geomerty is good doesn't twitch at high speeds Everything has held up great! 5 flaming treks

1997 RAliegh M80

[Oct 09, 2000]
Jeff

Strength:

Great value for the money. Blew away the big boys (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale Etc.)on what you get for your clams. Nice strong frame with solid components,

Indy shock was heavy and not very responsive on the bigger hits. Recently upgraded to a Manitou Mars C which cut off over a pound and better balanced the bike overall.

I was ready to spend more dough on other bikes, but so was impressed with the overall feel and value of the M600 that I decided it would be alot more fun buying the bike and adding a few little goodies. Shaving some weight off with the new front suspension has made this already solid bike even better. My bike now weights in at 25lbs. Not too bad for a mid level machine. Raleigh hit a home run with this one! Enjoy!

Trek 7000, Specialized A1,

[Sep 29, 2000]
John Gray

Strength:

Great Spec. Well built frame with an aggressive geometry.

Wellgo pedals are a bit weak. Would have preferred Ritchey Logic. Rims are OK, but could be better.

Great bike value. This is my first serious MTB - I reccoment Raleigh to anyone just getting into the sport. You can spend alot more for the same bike...with a different name! If you are a serious rider, I would upgrade to the M800 or another bike. the shocks and rims on this bike are not up to "expert" level riding. I ride 3-4 times a week on moderate to difficult terrain without any problems!!

LOVE IT!

Schwinn Moab 1; Trek 7000; GT Avalanche

[May 02, 2000]
Todd

Strength:

Sturdy Frame w/ Lifetime Warrenty
Replaceable rear derailleur hanger.
Good stock LX/XT groupo.

Frame is a touch heavy.

I actually bought a stock M600 in 1998 and proceeded to upgrade it over two Southeastern cross country seasons. Here's why I still have it:

It's the only frame that did not stray to the new "Genesis" geometry started by Gary Fisher. With a steeper headtube angle I can out corner anyone on it.

It's strong. I broke two lightweight Giant XTC SE1 frames during the same two years I raced the Raleigh. It's also the same frame Raleigh markets as the M-800 with a different groupo.

It climbs like a billy goat on crack. This is always relative to how a bikes geometry fits an individual. The Raleigh fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden. I know that's a bold statement for an "entry level" bike, but I think it's more comfortable than my Lightspeed road bike.

Anyone looking for a "entry level" ride that's endlessly upgradable should buy this bike. You can start racing it just as soon as you get the reflectors off. I'll eat all five of my flaming chili's if this is not the best bike for the money on the market.

Giant XTC SE1

[Feb 17, 2000]
Lee Nelson

Strength:

Great components, DiaTech disc brakes are incredible(great product support from El Marko), WTB adds a lot of class to a bike, kudos to Raleigh for switching to RockShox

You must be willing to wait for the bike, I waited three months, but it was worth it.

A little $$$ goes a long way on this one... I laugh when I see a Trek 7000, those poor saps. Basically, if you want a bike that you can ride the heck out of and have a lot of fun on, this is as good as it gets. FIVE CHILLIES.

Trek 7000, Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo, similar price Cannondales, Rockhoppers

[Feb 16, 2000]
David

Strength:

Can't beat the price for the components.

Too heavy.
Wheels suck.
Spyder R!!!

Well, except for the shock being a lemon, this bike is awesome. My shock completely failed on the first day of riding. Answer had to rebuild it twice, but they couldn't fix it. So after 3 months of arguing, they finally sent me a new Magnum R which is a hundred times better. But still, after my troubles, I think this bike is the best bike for the money. It compares to any $1000 bike on the market. And at only $650, you wont worry about beating it up that much. This is a great buy for a beginner mountain biker.

Gary Fisher Big Sur
Schwinn MOAB 1

[Nov 25, 1999]
Jonathan
Cross-Country Rider

the shock, the rims

Even though it doesn't beat Litespeed bikes (which are made here i Ooltewah) i like it. I'm 14 so it's not the one i would have choosen but beggers can't be choosers, but i do like it 5 chilis

Univega Alpina-uno

[Oct 23, 1999]
drew

Strength:

Great deal (I'm a poor college student), solid feel, good quality(100s of miles and no problems yet), nice component package, light fork, saddle is comfy for me, and for the vain it looks pretty cool.

tires are soft (quick to wear), fork is a bit too soft even cranked down all the way(I weigh ~160 but do ride quassi hard), grips can be slippery when wet

You don't have to spend a grand to find a good bike that will get down the trail confidently. Personally I love passing people with $1500+ bikes on the trail knowing that bike cost can only do so much for your riding ability. There is no need to spend more(if you can't notice the difference another $300 makes, why spend it?). Invest your time to learning to ride well. No bike can make up for a poor rider.

Specilized, Trek, Cannondale, etc.