Raleigh 1999 M50 Hardtail Bike

Raleigh 1999 M50 Hardtail Bike

1999 Raleigh M50, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Alivio components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

[Dec 19, 2001]
Bill Gassmann

Strength:

it is a freaking awesome bike

I love the bike and it will be even better once i'm done with it. Its not the best but it gets the job done. It is a good bike for beginners, it was my first bike and its good for the trails and the road. It may not be able to match a Gary Fisher or Cannondale but it can handle the technical trails al the way.

GT Saddleback 1999
Giant Iguana 1999

[May 26, 2001]
Jason

Strength:

great frame made in USA

components are out of date- 7speed cog set w/ a 28 as the lowest gear?! Fork wears out in 6 months, needs serious attension

This bike is an ok bike. It does the job for me, but I just bent the rim, and while I'm replacing that, I might as well upgrade to an 8 or a 9 speed cog set, and while I'd doing that, I'll have to upgrade my shifter, and that's a one unit piece w/ my brake lever, so I have to replace that. Not to mentiont rims are cheaper in pairs, so I might as well get a front one, and as long as I'm at it, I'll get one w/ disc mounts so when I get a new fork, I can have disc front brakes...

It was a good start and fun while it lasted, but this bike is about to cost a lot more money. I'd suggest going a bit higher if the funds are available to you.

Some bargain basement MTB that I brok the fram on, welded it, and broke it again

[Jan 16, 2001]
Jeremy

Strength:

shifters,brakes,frame!!!

straight bars,unservicable crankset,tires

This is a good bike for the money!!!You get the frame of the more expensive bikes and the gears and shifters do it justice.Tires and saddle are more suitted for the road and light terrian.The only major complaint I have is being so low on the handle bars.Either 2" riser bar will help or a better stem.I have raced 2 beginner races with this bike and it handles real nice.If your new to the Mountain bike scene ,this is the bike for you.Don't buy it if you are a serious racer or 100 mile a day user.

Huffy Ecoterra

[Dec 04, 2000]
Jason F

Strength:

Cheap bike

components are not for serious trail riding.

I use this bike to get around Fairbanks on road and trail. I have cracked the plastic pedals from trail riding. It is just fine for transportation and sure as hell beats walking. Grab the super clothes and set off into the winter sunset at 2:00pm.

Trek

[Sep 29, 2000]
Matt

Strength:

everything

no weaknesses

This is the best damn bike i've ever had i go biking every were with my friends i bike 12 miles in a day (thats good cause i'm 11 years old)since i got it i'm faster than anyone i know the bike is the best if u don't have it ur screwed if u do ur gonna the best time of ur life get it get it get it the BEST BEST BEST DAMN BIKE say to ur self screw the damn price i'm getting it

[Jul 30, 2000]
Urban Dynamo
Downhiller

Strength:

+The Chromoly frame.

-EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

I know Raleigh makes some good bikes, but come on, this bike they came up with is !%@#*& up!!! This design is very old (lets say 1994 old) with the threaded headset, the lowest end Shimano Easy Fire shifters, horrible horrible fork with a very old design that's just as complex as a department store bike fork, the "road type" ass numbing comfort seat, etc. I would only buy this bike if you're up to serios upgrading before leaving the shop with the bike. Replace everything: The RST 260 fork, the seat, the threaded headset, the shifters, the brakes, EVERYTHING!!!

>>>

:] Ideal Buyer- Someone who needs to upgrade from a Huffy.

:[ Non Ideal Buyer- Anyone who needs a real bike!

Some Huffy I found on the Highway.

[Jul 30, 2000]
Drew

Strength:

Affordability, durability, frame design

Brakes, saddle, weight, fork performance

My first mountain bike (the key word being first, that means there will be a second!). For the money, a great bike for a novice. You only remain a beginner for so long however... time to upgrade or buy a new bike after three months!!! I broke the stock seat at first crash. Everything else held up great. The weight and the suspension are definitely negatives. I have a blast on the beast though, so that is all that matters... I haven't been stranded yet.
If I had read the MTB Review first I may not have been stiffed $369 in 2000 on a 1999 $300 bike (I must have been paying for free tune ups)! Still for that price I could find nothing comparable. Buy it if you don't have more $$$!!!

Trek

[Jul 02, 2000]
Chuck

Strength:

Good Price.
Reliable.

Fork doesnt like closly-spaced bumps.

Good bike, bought it 1 yr ago, rode mostly on the road till recently. Just started trail riding it in the past few months.
Havent taken good care of this bike but its always worked for me. Wish I had put a little effort into maintaining it.
Good bike for a beginner, good price. If you want to try this mountain bike thing out without plunking down 1000$ this is the bike for you.

[Jul 01, 2000]
Chris

Strength:

Price, shifters

tires, shocks, seat, frame, weight

I thought this bike was great the first time I used it but since then it hasn't been doing much for me. The front suspension is too soft for my tastes. The bike doesn't handle well. I can't stand those plush seats...they aren't as comfortable as they seem. It also doesn't fit me that well, but I probably have too big of a bike (18"). The tires kinda suck and the handlebars are too low. I paid $285 for it. Also, I started having problems with the gear shifting...sometimes it just won't go in gear. I think the Univega is a better bike. It's got better components, aluminum frame, higher handle bars, better handling, shifts smooth, and is German engineered. I just sold my M50 and am planning on stepping up to a Haro Escape 7.1 that I saw for $300.

Univega Rover 308

[May 15, 2000]
Rob

Strength:

Takes a beating well. Good value for the money.

gears do not always shift smoothely, esp. from the middle to large chain ring.

A great value for the money and a good beginning bike.
If you're new to mountain biking and want a good bike but don't want to spend much, I'd highly recommend this bike.

Cannondale