Nishiki 1999 Manitoba Hardtail Bike

Nishiki 1999 Manitoba Hardtail Bike

1999 Nishiki Manitoba, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

[Mar 11, 2011]
Lynn McCleland

Strength:

Reliable - have never had a flat tire over past 10 years - still in good shape

Heavy

Low maintenance, strong frame and a very reliable bike.....

Compared to a racing bike - none! My son had a bike that cost 2x more than mine... within less than a month,he had to replace his bikes frame ....had at least 3 flat tires in less than 6 months and that is riding on a paved sidewalk.

[Jul 05, 2003]
Rob Morris

Strength:

Durability. Price. Ease of use.

No shocks. Heavy.

Having ridden this bike for ten years, all I can say is that it is superb. I have done hard-core off road and long treks on it. It has been in three states. Carries camping gear no problem. Highly dependable. I am considering getting a bike with shocks but like this one so much I may never do it. I simply don't believe that the incredible amount of money some people pay for a high-end bike is money well spent. I'm sure they think so, because it's the American way. $=Good. This is all the bike you need if you want a good bike.

I have used this bike for over ten years. Still going strong. This is a great bike. I just rode it over 40 miles of hills yesterday. It takes a licking. I bought it and have never wanted another product.

[Jan 03, 2002]
KC R

Strength:

strong frame. The bike will withstand quite a bit of punishment, the bike clibs very well also. Exelent Brakes

wheels bend easy. RST fork wore out after 1 and a half seasons. Cold weather makes the RST fork very stiff. Brake Levers suck.

This bike is a good entry level bike, With modifications of the components it could be a good XC racer. The Frame Is the best Value. The way the rider weight is positioned is perfect.

Specialized Hard Rock

[Jan 13, 2000]
James Seeney

Strength:

Looks - Price - Nice ride on trail or road

Wheelset is not the strongest

For a first bike I couldn't have asked for better. The price was cheap enough not to break me but still got me enough bike to find out if this was something I wanted to stick with. Have ridden it fairly hard over the past year and with the exception of the Weinman wheelset, it performed great. I had to retrue the wheelset 4-5 times - Not bad but I'm 215#'s and need stronger rims under me. The RST fork handled what I threw at it adequately. The components never failed me.
Highly recommended for a first MTB when you don't want to spend a great deal of $$$ but still want to see what MTB is about.
It got me hooked and now I can justify parting with the extra $$$ for a Specialized.

My 1st MTB

[Nov 22, 2000]
Nicholas Stacy

Strength:

Dependable, durable,easy shifting, great brakes, good handling if pushed or "something comes up". Comfortable.

Wheels, they do need trueing several time during 200 to 300 miles of off road riding. (A mix of serious down hill and pleasant railroad beds converted to trails.)

Very good value. Stay away from discount store Huffys and such. This bike can be adjusted for a comfort style riding on easy trails or the road, or you can lower the bars and change the seat height and be very much in control climbing all over the bike for serious off road riding or down hill. The bike is not however a serious, hard core off road machine for someone who replaces bike and components annualy. I ride 20 to 30 miles on a mix of trails and enjoy all of it. Occasionally I ride about 6 miles of intense, adrenalin downhill and bike takes it all in stride.
Nice Bike.

none but I have reluctantly been using my early Eddy Merckx road bike on some of the trails knowing I shouldn't. Used to motocross decades ago.

[Aug 23, 1999]
Travis Rowland

Strength:

looks, comfort, smooth riding. Inexpensive, quality components. large frame.

big bike, not for those who need a step stool.

Great bike for the weekend biker, inexpensive, quality product. Comfortable for long rides, easy shifting. Nice bike.

friends have: Outlook, hardrock

[Jul 14, 1999]
Scott Hagan

Strength:

looks
comfort
price

entry level

Well, I just got into mountain bike riding and I am addidcted. I LOVE IT! I really cant compare the Manitoba to anything else since it is my first bike but for $320 I think you get alot of bike. My friends all have bikes and I have rode them such as Gary Fisher Tasahara and a Pro-Flex and also a giant. For the $ I feel very confident in my new best friend. Cant wait to race and have a blast!

[May 04, 1999]
Thomas Schaefer

My first mountain bike, what a blast! Considering I don't know squat about those hardcore bikes, my review comes from the average weekend rider perspective. I've only been riding less than a month, so nothing has broken yet, but everything works extrememly well on the bike. It is much lighter than anything I have riden before; its tough to keep the nose down going up hills. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone getting their first bike. Spend the extra money, don't get the substandard stuff at the chain stores, eventhough it may only be $100-$150 for a chain store bike, it is a waste of money. Find a good bike shop and prepare to spend at least $250 for some incarnation of a mountain bike.I can only give it 4 points since 5 would be perfect and I don't know enough yet to know what perfect is. My guess is this isn't the bike to go down the side of a mountain with, but it is definately great at going through the woods on trails and in the city parks. I paid $330 for mine (yea, I saw a MSRP of $315 too, I have no idea whats up with that) and it was well worth it.

Diamondback Outlook
GT Sorrento SE
Huffy crap at Kmart
(sorry, but its true)

[Mar 19, 1999]
Geoff Domoracki

Strength:

Cheap, much better than my last rigid Diamondback, suprisingly light (mine is 28 lbs)

None yet

I needed a cheap hardtail bike, this was an excellent choice

Diamondback Outlook

[May 09, 2001]
Bjorn Kuhlmann

Strength:

Strong sturdy frame, easy shifter.

Wheels come out of true a little to often than I like.

With the money you spend on this bike you get a very good bike. Great for beginners, gives a nice smoth ride in pretty much all terrains, give the bike some parts upgrade, and you can even use it for racing. It gave me a 52:nd place in a public police race 2 years ago, and I'm about to do my second race this month with the same bike.
All around great bike!

My 3:rd Mountain bike, other 2 where ridgid Trek 850 and Cyclepro Grizzly.