Mongoose 1999 DX 10.9 Hardtail Bike

MONGOOSE DX 10.9

Reg   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 06, 2000]
Strength:

Great Frame
Great Components
Great Price!! (Supergo)

This bike rides like a dream. It's light, it's nimble, it climbs like a mountain goat on speed. I am very pleased with the overall performance. I hate that Mongoose shot themselves in the foot with small bike shops, but I am enjoying the drastic price cut on this fine TI bike. Buy one before they are all gone! It is a fine TI bike.

Similar Products Used: I like the Litespeeds, but I had to pass them up in favor of the great deal on this bike!
Peter   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

nice finish

don't know yet

After I got frame, I found that headset would not slide all the way in head tube. I tried some old Ritchey head set and same thing. Bike shop sent it back to Mongoose. After waiting for more than one month, I've started to regret that I bought it. I wanted to save few hundred bucks over Litespeed. I don't know what happens if I need it fixed later on. I was told that Mongoose service/customer support is dead last in industry. I will post more when I get my frame back.

Similar Products Used: nothing close
a-dog foo   Downhiller [Mar 17, 2000]
Strength:

light

cheap, crappy, terrible product

sucks ass!

Similar Products Used: cannondale 1999 f700
PHD   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2000]
Strength:

Quality frame with great performance.
Well-chosen and coordinated component selection that works.
Great value versus weight versus ride versus performance.

Front end tends to dance on climbs.

This bike is outstanding in value and performance. Close inspection reveals a well-crafted frame with exceptional fit-and-finish -- the welds almost look bonded. I have noticed little, if any, frame flex on climbs (although I am only 155 lbs). And does this bike like to climb. It is as if the back wheel is glued down -- outstanding in or out of the saddle. Although I considered going to a riser bar or bar ends, I have found that the top-tube length on the 16" frame and the stock, short, no-rise Titec bar and stem provide a range of perfect riding positions, at least for me, even without bar ends. The front end does tend to hunt and wander when climbing due to the light weight and front-end setup. However, as a result, the handling is exceptionally responsive. Although initially scary quick on downhills and tight turns, it inspired confidence after time in the saddle.

The XTR group has been outstanding with only a few random chain-suck incidents most likely due to poor-shifting habits -- otherwise shifting has been flawless, even when mud clogged. The FSA Orbit DL headset does appear to be mismatched with the level of the rest of the components. While there is nothing really wrong with it, the non-sealed bearings do require frequent maintenance. All that will be required is an upgrade to a sealed set when the DL wears out. The Crossmax's have been a delight with little discernable flex, amazing braking ability under wet and muddy conditions, and little fade under lengthy braking. The SID has worked well -- enough said.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone looking for a titanium ride with top-notch, well-coordinated components and frame. This bike is light, reliable, and XC raceable out of the box. While one should consider how Mongoose has changed some of the component specs on the '00's -- perhaps for the better, perhaps not -- I can only comment that the '99's work well. In any event, the frame alone appears to make it worth it. And as far as the Wal-Mart stigma -- who cares? My LBS is happy to take my money to service this bike which means they will get my business come upgrade time.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback carbon-fiber, steel frame with full XTR and Marzocchi BAM.
Old Dog   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2000]
Strength:

Top notch components...killer deal

Cheesy seat post!

This bike is sweet...at 22 lbs off the shelf you won't find a better riding bike for under $3000...its fast and responsive. This thing climbs like hell even with my fat arse on it. The XTR groupe is silky smooth.

Perfect setup for XC. What a steel if you can still find one (at Supergo)

This bike takes it to the next level!

Similar Products Used: AMP
Amar   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 1999]
Strength:

Expensive @ $150.00 @ Wal-Mart

It was missing a pedal so it was kind of hard to ride.

This bike was not very much fun, the saddle broke off and the pipe that sticks out of the frame to hold the seat there stuck up my A**. The people at Wal Mart were very understanding though, they even still had the frorlift out from there last customer to pick my severed 450lb A** off of the floor. 10 stars for the folks at walmart, 0 for mongoose Average = 5

Similar Products Used: Huffy FireTrail
Murray Hurricane
kb   Racer [Oct 29, 1999]
Strength:

no better components on the earth.
ride and feel of ti but not the cost of gold.
frame guaranteed forever!!

people only think moots can make a good ti bike

supergo has just a killer deal on this bike

Similar Products Used: last 3 were zaskar le's
KENNY   Racer [Sep 20, 1999]
Strength:

QUALITY,LIGHT WEIGHT

BIKE DEALERS FROWN UPON MONGOOSE.

THIS BIKE RIDES ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS IT IS SUPER LIGHT AND CLIMBS XLNT,MINIMAL FLEX, I USED TO RIDE A CAAD 4 F 3000 AND THE RIDE WAS HARSH,THIS RIDES XLNT,MONGOOSE YOU DID A KILLER JOB ON THIS BIKE NOW IF YOU WOULD JUST GET YOUR ASS OUT OF WAL MART AND HELP THE L.B.D !!!

Similar Products Used: 95 RALEIGH MTI 1000
Catracker   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2000]
Strength:

Light, flexy

a little hard to get used to the frame

I got this frame from Cambria and added custom components from PricePoint and SuperGo mostly. Once I first got on the bike I thought I had made something special. The first few rides I took were just cross country to see how far I could go on this baby. Needless to say no matter how fast I got the bike riding with every pedal stroke I could still feel acceleration! This baby is light and fast. One drawback was on the technical trails I had to get used to the headtube flexing on the turns. All other bikes I had ridden did not flex at all on the turns. But as I rode the bike more and more the flex in the headtube became an asset which now makes the turns easier to bite and really put as much pressure as the front tire can handle. I haven't taken this baby to a race yet but plan to. Looked into the Moots, Merlin, and Litespeed but was unimpressed with the price. Can't beat the hand workmanship of Moots but I'll race a Moots rider anyday and win on the hills. This is also a bike to take on a ride each day of the week. Oh and to all the naysayers about the suspension seat post I'm not sure if they've tried the USE. One great value for the bike and the welds are a work of art. No problem here with the headset and please actually check out the ride before you post a rating. 5 Chilis and Tobasco to boot!