Merlin 2001 Mountain Hardtail Bike

Ben   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2002]
Strength:

The ride, the elegance, the drool factor!

My riding ability doesn't do the frame justice. People questioning your sanity when they find out how much you paid frame alone... they don't understand

After many years of faithful service, the 8700 said no more after bunny hopping a gutter. While searching for another bike I quickly come to the conclusion that I have a few nice bits and pieces from the ol' 87 going to waste... bugger it, I'll buy a schmick mick frame... I'll buy a Merlin Mountain.

Our first ride in the bush together was fantastic. A 60 km odessey where we lower our bikes off a 15 metre cliff (with rope - I ain't no Shore rider) and basically ride up steep mountains, belt through twisty single track, carry the bikes up 500 stairs through a dark, leech infested climb between two mountains and finish up getting blind at the "Carro". It was a day of pain and Merlster did it with ease (I didn't).

The difference between the Merlin and the Trek was astounding. The Merlin is so plush and yet so responive. Climb, jive, push or carry, the Merlo was up to the task. I tell you, this ti is the stuff of dreams... wet or otherwise.

Okay, it's expensive but worth every single penny. I can't the fault the thing so if you've got the spare couple of K's handy, do it, you only live once and with a Merlin between your legs, you're living life good.

P.S I was lucky, I got a brand new 2001 frame at a clear out price.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8700
OVERALL
Robert   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Titanium material is super strong, difficult to scratch, and almost-crazy light. Workmanship is top-notch. The headbadge is beautiful!!

The seat collar doesn't keep the seat as secure; easy to strip. Called Merlin, and they replaced it immediately. Because bike is quick-steering and light, you must pay attention!

This bike is fantastic! It's so light, it's as though you've added extra gears to the bike. The workmanship is flawless, and the headbadge is gorgeous (I took the extra decals off that identified to the world the bike is made of "titanium"). The bike has not changed much since its inception, but Merlin continues to go with time-tested approaches; this year, the downtube is slightly larger (1 3/4 inches), which improves stability. The ride is springy, light, and the bike steers quickly and is built for speed. It ascends like a champ. This is my first titanium bike, and it may well be my last.