Marin 2001 Nail Trail Hardtail Bike

ferre   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2017]
Strength:

goog components except the pedals i changed quickly for a full aluminium ones. The front and back derailleur (deore and lx) still works after...16 years. I broked both wheels on jumps, but that's my fault, i landed bad.

pedals, and i changed the springs of fork for harders ones . Derailleur trigger (deore) are not in a good shape but they still works great and are very precise.

Very good bike. I still ride it every weeks. Of course i changed cables, tires, chain as they get to old. It was my first MTb and it's still my only one. I ride it to commute in town, for cyclo touring (with trailer and luggage carrier) and for mtb cross country. The frame is good and no sign of weakness except painting that gets old. It suits to my 183cm tall and 85kg weight perfectly. i sometimes pick up some friend's brand new mtb, but nail trail is still my prefered one. It's a simple hard tail bike. I can adjust VBrake if needed, and i can repair almost every thing easily. Very important point with a good old bike: i never fear thiefts or crash...

Eric Stroup   [Dec 10, 2001]
Strength:

The Ride is awesome!!!! It does what I want without hesitation. The flex is minimal and not clunky like some. I love it. The weight is good too!I can charge up hills and not be held back excessivly heavy frame and components. This is a solid, race quality bike. I wish I had bought one of these years ago.

NOT BUILT IN THE USA!!!! Biggest mistake! Designed here is great but build em' HERE!
The Seat. I'd rather ride on a 2x4 piece of wood. The OCR rims are good but I had them out of true after the first few rides and I keep blowing the rear wheel. Mostly snake bites from the rim despite correct tire pressure. I may be too heavy for the stock setup (205 lbs.) The front shock is a little soft but doesn't bottom out easily, and it takes a lot to do it. so I'd say that one rates as pretty good too.

I love this bike! Can't complain about the bike itself at all. A change in the seat is the only thing to make this a truly comfortable, quick, and responsive bike. I love it and for the price, it is just as good as hardtails priced at a grand or better.

Similar Products Used: I have ridden or demo'ed most of the Marin Line and I can't complain about any of them
Richard   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent frame geometry for the average rider (5'10", 75 kg). Nice fork.

Bottom bracket creaks. A bit heavy. Components are lower spec than I would expect for the price (should at least have XT), but I guess Marin think that the frame makes up for this.

Comfortable bike to ride (with the sus post). Great handling, and the nice fork (cheapish, but at least it has damping) performs well. My bike weighs about 25lbs, including the sus post.
I don't regret replacing my FSR Comp with this bike. It's just as comfortable, but is lighter and climbs and accelerates better.
It would be even better with higher spec comps as standard.

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Ascent EX, Marin Bear Valley SE, Giant CFM2
Erich   [Oct 25, 2001]
Strength:

Good stock components for the price; Strong, solid frame. Flashy color(not really a strength, but you've gotta love the bright yellow)

Cheap bottom bracket and pedals. I blew up both of them within the first 4 months. Handlebars until I hacked an inch or so off both sides.

This is a great bike. Not that I had any complaints about my old Nail Trail, but this new frame is even better. Try out other bikes in the sme price range and you will buy this one.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hard Rock with componentry upgraded to Shimano LX. Older model Marin Nail Trail
C.J. Rohde   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2001]
Strength:

It's an awesome ride. From the excellent drive train to the manitou magnum r fork, for the price it's great

Hard seat and crappy grips. plus rear wheel has gone out of true after a few real hard rides. Also, ski market didn't even true the wheels and put the brakes on backwards when assembaling it, idiots!

Great bike for the buck. I would reccomend it to anyone shopping for a bike in this price range.

Similar Products Used: Hoo koo e koo and Kona cinder cone
James   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

Triple butted light frame MADE IN USA, frame geometry that not only lends a natural stance, yet one positioned for speed and fast sprints. Manitou Magnum R front suspension trouble free and able to take the hits. When you do the math you can't lose on this bike...LIGHT; Deore front; Deore LX rear. Good grips, BEAUTIFUL triangular frame design, quality cranks, 6061 aluminum riser bar and IRC tires that spit mud with DT spoke rims. All the components are QUALITY on this bike.

Seat and pedals I SWEAR THAT'S IT. This bike blows away the competition for the price easily. In fact the 2002 Nail Trail from Marin has replaced the hard as nails seat with a WTB love cannel product.

Bottom line, is you get a LOT for the money. So if you are attempting to add up the dollar value you win here without losing on the dialed in feel and aesthetics of a pleasing bike. I would recommend this bike for any avid trail rider...racing??

Bianchi, Kona: nice frames, crap for components, Cannondale $$$, GT, Schwinn, Iron Horse, Univega, Dimondback, Haro, Specialized(StumpJummper on up is where you should begin with this line of bikes), Gary Fisher(nice geometry VERY comfortable as with Trek, yet not dialed for speed). I rode them all, Marin was LOVE/LUST at first sight & that something else more meaningful all in one.
Alec   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame, looks, hmmmm not very good at describing am I.

grips, strange chips appear over the bike, not the paint but a thin layer of plasticky stuff.

(the price is in pounds, not dollars)

Great bike. good acceleration compared to my old rigid thing (not the rock lobster) the bike is a good show offy colour if cleaned regulary. great fun