Litespeed 2001 Toccoa Hardtail Bike

Ykbiker   [Mar 31, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, comfortable, stiff and compliant

Nothing

I bought this frame about five years ago. When I got it it was already well used. It was painted and paint was chipped and worn all over. I stripped and reprinted it. Put decent used components on it, and starting riding this thing as my main everyday bike. I ride this everyday all over town as my main transportation. I put between 70 and 140km on it per week, summer and winter, in temperatures between 30c and -40c. This thing can take punishment and heavy use. What a tank, a very light tank. I don't think litespeed is quite the company it was 10 years ago. I have owned some of there newer stuff, and the quality isn't quite the same. But the older frames are a joy to own.

Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Light light light. Built and welded by a phat god.

none.

I wanted a racer that would be problem free, and would last through any abuse. this is my 3rd Litespeed, and they have yet to let me down. 2001 was the last year for the Toccoa, and I was very happy to see it came equipped to handle disc setup the the disc tap available from Litespeed.

Similar Products Used: litespeed obed, litespeed occoe
mauro   [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome frame- very stiff & responsive. Swift climber and controlled on the downhills.

None, esp. at sub-$1,000

Great bike. If you love mountain biking and don't mind the cost (or find a great deal), definitely try this one out. And if you have to hit some pavement to get to the trails (which I hate doing), this bike makes it painless. I can't say enough good things about it. The only problem is that it's tough to test ride one. I followed another reviewer's advice and picked this one up online. Best purchase I've ever made.

Jeff B.   Racer [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent climber, quick turning bike. The bike is very fast and very light. And Ti will last forever.

Decals come off easy. But who buys this for the decals. Litespeed will send you replacements anyway.

For what I paid for the bike when it was less than a year old it was a hell of a deal. I raced on it all season and I know I made up time climbing on this thing. It is very light and very responsive. And I know litespeed doesn't make this particular model anymore but if you see one online somewhere pick it up.

Similar Products Used: Highly Modified 1997 Trek 930(steel), Trek 8500
Josh   Racer [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

Amazing ride quality for a hardtail, without being flexy like some other Ti bikes. No paint to scratch, Handmade in Tennessee.

Expensive, decals chip, Litespeeds common for expensive Ti bikes

Worth the $$ if any bike is worth what this thing costs. I got a great deal from Mark at Murfreesboro Outdoor and Bicycle. Amazing ride quality with no noticable sacrifice in stiffness compared to other hardtails. When I have a bad day I can't blame the bike. I have ridden it in a wide variety of conditions (including out west) and it seems to ride great everywhere. I rarely keep bikes for very long, and I've had this a year and a half and can't see myself replacing it anytime soon. That is probably the best comment I can make. Because of the ride quality of this bike and the simplicity of a hardtail, short travel suspension bikes don't really appeal to me anymore.

Similar Products Used: owned 2 full suspension, steel Specialized, M2 Specialized, currently have a steel singlespeed. Ridden Dean ti, Cannondale, Schwinn Homegrown, Klein Attitude.
kiko toying   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2003]
Strength:

This bike rules lightweight,fast but forgiving it's titanium it's built forever

none it's a litespeed although very pricey

If you want a bike which is wickedly light and fast this is it weight weenies under 20 easy with the right upgrades

Similar Products Used: litespeed tanasi 2000
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2002]
Strength:

Fantastic climber, really responsive and super supple on the technical stuff.

Had some chain suck but after I adjusted my front derailleur it seemed to have been resolved.

May people I see in the bay area on litespeeds are fat, old, people who were going through a mid life crisis so they decided to drop 3500 on a mountain they will most likely never ride. Don't get duped by the bad press, this bike rocks and just gets better each you go out.

Although its been already said, don't buy this bike if you are not going to ride,

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Sugar 2 +, Santa Cruz superlight
Gilbert   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2002]
Strength:

Versitile, nimble and smooth. Climbs with ease and descends with total control and quick

Hard to find any real weaknesses that ould turn anyone away.

This bike rides like the wind, smooth and quick. Climbing is easy and powerful with the light weight frame and quality components. Downhill it handles like a fox and rides the bumps very well, always keeping in control. I used to ride a Trek carbon and it is stiff and hard on bumps. This bike is masterfully made and the titanium craftmanship makes all the difference. This is a great bike and might be the best hardtail I've ever ridden. Go get one!! You won't regret it. I didn't!

Similar Products Used: Trek Carbon, Santa Cruz Lite Speed
Bill C.   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2001]
Strength:

Impeccable build, ti dampening, indestructible, climbing monster

After one year and over 1000 miles I can only say that this bike is a bargain given the performance and durability. I have ridden XC, climbed technical mountain singletrack in Pisgah, bombed downhills along with the FS riders, and couldn't be happier. This bike climbs like a mountain goat, putting every ounce of energy to the rear wheel. I am a 44 year old, 195 pound rider who was suffering from the hammering of my aluminum hardtail, and I love the dampening effect of the Ti. The workmanship on this bike is perfect, it is like an industrial work of art. It has cartwheeled down 35' inclines after I have crashed and shows no signs of any wear or damage. It absolutely carves technical singletrack at insane speeds. It launches jumps like a billy goat. It is confidence inspiring to ride. The worst thing I can about this bike is that it has seen the decals get scratched partly off. Litespeed is the perfect example of the old adage: You get what you pay for!