Litespeed 2001 Tanasi Hardtail Bike

Nathan Kofahl   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

So lite... really quite awesome

So expensive...

Well, I am now at about the 3 month point on this bike (see my review under the 2000 tanisi) and its is still giving me grins every time I clip in and start to ride. I had a chance to ride down in southern New Mexico a few weeks ago, and there was this nice long 4wd road that climbs up a few thousand feet to the top of a pass. It is super rough for a climb that is this long, and has very few places where you can sort of rest between sections of the climb. It turned out to be about a 45 minute ride to the top. This bike was just so smooth over the rough stuff, and the UST tires had awesome traction! It made my job super easy, as I just stayed in the saddle and spun my way to the top. It was really quite an experience. I know that I would have not made that climb on my yeti. It is does not have the traction or the poise of this bike. When we got to the top, we talked for a few minutes, enjoyed the view and headed for home (same way down as up). I went all out on the downhill... 3 and 1/2 minutes later, we were at the bottom. The bike soaked up big bumps very well, and more importantly tracked exactly where I wanted it to go. It was an awesome ride!

If you get the chance, I highly recommend getting on one of these bikes.

-Nathan

Similar Products Used: Yeti ARC, Waterford,
Davide Gai   [Jun 08, 2001]
Strength:

Rigid, yet vibrations are dampened, light, highest quality, unique

carbon is still lighter, very expensive

The Alpine region where I ride if full of steep climbs, with altitude changes that can be greater that 7000 feet. However single tracks abound, so one has to find the perfect compromise between weight, rigidity and vibration damping features of the bike.

My previous bikes were a 2000 Trek Pro 9.8, which was an excellent climber and very responsive, but was lacking in vibration absorption features (probably due to the light but not too effective Rokshox Race fork), and a 2001 Cannondale Raven 4000, which was far too heavy and lacked rigidity. Both bikes are reviewed on MTBR.COM.

After riding the bike for 50 miles in various terrains, I must report that I probably found the best of both worlds. The Tanasi is almost as stiff as the Trek, and climbs almost as well, but it absorbs vibrations very effectively, with the contribution of the Mantou fork, which is in my opinion far superior to the Rockshocx, and certainly worth the 200 grams weight difference. The tubeless tires give also a significant contribution.

In an ideal climb race between the Trek and the Litespeed, the former has a slight advantage as long as the road is paved or asphalted, which immediately turns into a disadvantage as soon as one hits the dirt of the trailhead.

One more point: one does not know what quality means until one has caressed the wonderfully shaped tubes of a Tanasi bike. One slight minus: the decals look cheap and old fashioned.

This is a preliminary review but I wanted to share my thoughts about this wonderful bike which should be complemented by the best possible components for set-up.

PS: final weight with the above parts was 10.9 Kilograms: does anybody have any suggestions about shaving some, without junking the disc brakes, since I am a 220 pun rider?