Litespeed 2000 Tanasi Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 3.15" travel fork

E S   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight. Stable and predictable handling. Climbs very well.

Flexy rear seatstays, Litespeed manufacturing (frame was mis-aligned from the factory)

Overall, the bike rides well. It is predicatble and stable in all riding environments from Coast to Coast.

Two major problems. First, the frame was sent to me directly from Litespeed misaligned! The rear triangle was off by almost a centimeter! Totally unacceptable! I had to send the bike bike during the middle of the season. Second, Litespeed customer service was horrid. I sent my bike back late July and didn't see it again till March of the next calendar year! They get giving me some line or another and even my trusted IBD couldn't get them to return it sooner!

If your going to spend an pile of money for a frame, do yourself a favor and order a Seven. It will be a fully custom frame built to your specifications, body, and riding style. I am ordering mine as soon as possible.

Similar Products Used: Ibis Ti mojo
StealthRider   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2000]
Strength:

Unbelievably light, beautiful welds, coldworked and shaped tubes, outstanding acceleration, smoothness, quick handling, stability and comfort

Price $$$$$; waiting time to receive it since no one -- not even Litespeed apparently -- keeps these frames in stock.

Splurged big time for what is clearly the ultimate hardtail. For close to $5,000, you get what is essentially a flawless machine. After riding it about 15 times and for about 100+ miles, I find the acceleration is unbelievable; this bike is not ounces, but pounds lighter than other hardtails, while giving one the impression of total solidity due to its being the only pure 6-4 titanium mountain bike made. The ride quality is smooth and lively, and the handling is quick without ever being twitchy. The pictures of this bike do not do it justice. The subtly shaped triangular top tube, squared downtube, gorgeous S-bend seatstays and chainstays, flawless welds, combined with the subdued lustre of titanium make this the most beautiful bike I have ever seen. The problem with this bike is that its performance and durability come at a price beyond that of most mortals and that buying one risks marital harmony should your credit card statement be discovered. Another problem is that this bike draws stares from everyone; you can't leave Litespeed's top of the line bike anywhere and your LBS will be warning you that you risk personal assault riding this thing out in public.

Is this bike, at close to $5,000, twice as good as the a top quality $2,500 hardtail? Obviously not, given the high quality of such bikes. But such a valuation completely misses the point of getting this bike. One doesn't get a bike like this for value -- increases in quality never keep up with increases in cost for top quality gear. This bike is for those who want the absolute, very best, and are willing to pay for it. If you have the money to burn and realize that life is short, I say go for it.

Similar Products Used: Nothing is in same class
Alan   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2001]
Strength:

Everything that is expected at this price.Sizing ,craftmanship/design, finish,ride quality,durabilty etc.

Head badge fell off while cleaning. A little glue solved that problem.

This review has been brewing since the first ride.First impressions were great but I wanted it to sink in for a while before I splattered my thoughts. This bike shines where ever I ride. East coast (mid atlantic), West coast
(Bay area), Downieville Dh run,Tahoe Flume trail.Simply put,
it climbs with ease and inspires you with confidence to take on the nastiest of technical descents.
This bike not only goes where you look but where you think.
Hops higher than any frame I've ridden and is excellent at log crossing to boot.
Bottom line .... I'm a better rider.No dents or dings after doing (and not always cleaning) stuff that was out off reach
before.This frame is for anyone that is ready for the next and final level(to date)of hardtail performance.

Similar Products Used: No Ti's but Klein Attitude and Kona Explosif
Tony   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2001]
Strength:

Sick light, wicked fast and smooth like buttah.

Ain't cheap-obviously. Also,is not a full suspension-obviously.

To say the Tanasi is light, quick, smooth and beautiful is redundant. You expect perfection for the kind of change you drop on one. What I didn't expect is that for that price tag you also get a huge chunk of confidence. My riding has gone from mediocre to meteoric in the three months I've owned this bike. Today, I set a wicked pace on a fifteen mile ride in Horsetooth Mountain park and still had the gas to smoke a roadie on the final climb back to the parking lot. A new world for me.

You may say to yourself "Yeah sure Tony, but do you REALLY think it's worth an extra grand over the next best Litespeed?"

You can ask yourself that question a lot when you ride an inferior bike. But I will never again have to wonder if I have the finest, fastest smoothest hard-tail ever made. To me that feeling is priceless-to buy it for a thousand bucks is a steal.

Bottom line-if you are good rider and you feel the need (the need for speed), if you want to accelerate up climbs that used to make you whimper, if you want to surgically dissect technical downhills that used to give you nightmares. If you want to ride better, and with more confidence than you ever thought you would.... then plot your coordinates, mortgage your house, sell your children and make the jump to Litespeed.

Sincerely submitted,

Tony

Similar Products Used: GT Zaskar LE, Moots YBB, Lots of Huffies
Craig Erion   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, vibrant ride, beauty to behold and proud to own.

Hmmmmmmm...

What a wonderful machine. I've logged about 350 miles todate and can't get enough seat time. The titanium frame is masterful and contributes to a truly amazing ride quality. Sure it's expensive but so what. Like another reviewer said here, life is short, so enjoy the best that you can afford.

Similar Products Used: Chromoly and aluminum hard tails.
Dylan   Racer [Nov 26, 2000]
Strength:

Craftsmanship is unbelievable. I was amazed as soon as I pulled the frame from the box. The ride is amazing. The full 6/4 ti soaks up just enough of the rough stuff but still climbs extremely aggressive. Light, I ride the 20" frame and it still weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

Price - but, you do get what you pay for. I've noticed that my stickers on the downtube look as if they may have cracks in them. I don't know if this is from the flexing of the frame or what. It doesn't feel flexy but I don't know how else this would have happened.

If you don't mind the price tag, this has to be one the ultimate hardtail. I've always heard that titanium was magic but I would have never thought it was as great as it is. If you ever get the opportunity to ride or race on a Tanasi, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed!

Similar Products Used: Have ridden steel, aluminum, and carbon but never had any other ti bike.
Raymond Namin   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2000]
Strength:

6al-4v Titanium makes for a light, strong bike that with an amazing ride.

I wanted to buy my last bike - first. I had it narrowed down to three - a Moots YBB, Seven Sola or Litespeed Tanasi. I chose the Tanasi and love it. I have to admit you can't go wrong with any of the three choices and all have amazing rides and personal preference in different areas like geometry, ti (6/4 or 3/2.5) and other factors finally influenced my choice.
The bike climbs and sprints agressively fast.
I would still like to get a soft-tail ti bike next though. Maybe the YBB-Air next year.

StealthRider   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2000]
Strength:

Construction, ride quality, lightness (16" frame = 3.0 lbs), toughness

Mucho dinero

This is a followup posting on this bike after several hundred miles and a few wicked crashes. The bike continues to impress, rides great, and gives a smooth and resilient ride. Importantly, this bike is really tough! I've had a few nasty spills on some rock infested trails (completely fault of rider), but fortunately the frame remains unscarred except for some scuffed up decals. The 6-4 titanium really holds up! I should be so lucky -- I now have a floating bone chip in my elbow as a lasting reminder of my last crash.

Clark Anderson   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2000]
Strength:

The best hardtail ride on this planet!

none so far.

Litespeed's designs and R&D have definitely paid off in an amazing product. The enhanced geometry translates to a very responsive ride. It has become an extension of myself. I'm very happy with my purchase and that's really the bottom line.

Similar Products Used: my Moots Rigor Mootis - another one of the best.
Colton   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, razor-like response, lifetime warranty,

Price, no replaceable dropout.

O.K., I know that this frame is way out of reach cost wise for the general public. But after 10 years of riding different brands of bikes from Gary Fisher to Manitou, I decided to go for the ultimate hard tail rig. Sure, my daughter has no college fund available, I only hope she gets a scholarship. This bike is exactly what everyone talks about, and performs like no other. If you're thinking about a ti ride, and can hide the money from your wife, then I say get this bike. Besides if you're not worth it...who is?