Litespeed 1999 Ocoee Hardtail Bike

1999 Litespeed Ocoee, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 4.0" travel fork

Scott James   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

magic ride of ti.

Expensive, won't have an excuse to ever buy another bike.

I know they haven't made this bike for a while, and this is a review that will probably never be read as a result. However, it's late, I'm bored, and thought this would be worth a few minutes of my time.

Bike kicks serious ass! Mine is a 97, frame still looks and rides like new, with the exception of the decals. Litespeed doesn't clear coat over the decals, so they will peel. However, that is the only thing I can complain about, so that tells you something about this amazing ride. I also own one of their Ultimate's-full Dura Ace. Litespeed is hands down the best ti value for your money. Do you know anybody who owns one who doesn't think it's the best bike they ever owned? I don't. You can spend more on Merlin, or a Seven. But all your getting are prettier welds.

After riding my first ti bike, I sold all my aluminum (2)rides. It's that much better!

Bottom line-If you have a chance to pick one of these up, do it. Ti never wears out, and will never let you down.

Similar Products Used: Most everything
EDDIE B.   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

LIGHT WEIGHT, GREAT HANDLING, AND THAT TI BIKE BUMP ABSORBING RIDE

NONE FOUND SO FAR

EVERYTHING I'D READ ABOUT TI FRAMES IS TRUE. FROM THE BUMP ABSORPTION TO THE RIGID CLIMBING FEEL. THE BIKE IS A ROCKET. I THOUGHT MY OLD CARBON FRAME BIKE WAS FANTASTIC, BUT THIS TAKES THE RIDE QUALITY ONE STEP FURTHER.

Similar Products Used: PREVIOUS BIKE WAS A TREK 9900
Billy Joe Smith   Racer [Jan 10, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, Plush feel

Unstable, shotty welds, poor cust. service from the company

ALthough this bike is nice and light, and it eats up the bumps nicely, this bike is plainly unstable. Cornering is scary at best, if not terrifying. I weigh 195lbs, so I'm big, but not too big, I've been through 3 of these frames within a year. Turn around time on my returns was horrible, never got responses to my emails, and was put on hold for long amount of time when I did call. I'm completely disappointed with the service I rec'd from litespeed,and with the performance of their product. Message to litespeed: You can attract customers with nice looks and solid marketing, however, you're never going to KEEP customers with bad service and inferior quality. If I could give this a negative rating I would. 1 chili

Similar Products Used: Specialized StumpJumper, Kestrel CSX
Bruce Donald   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2000]
Strength:

TI's ability to absorb shock
no paint to scratch
Damn fine looking
Quality material welded artistically.

A loosening of the aluminium headset cup

Super light and really heavy duty. It handles amatuer trials riding, has no respect for uphills and is so soft I have to keep checking the tires to make sure they're not flat.
People say how clean it looks, I always think it needs cleaning. Must be those chain and seat stays that I love rubbing so much.
Quality is evident throughout, unfortunately replacement parts don't come cheap here in the land of Aus, so the XTR will slowly be replaced by XT when they wear out (In another 10 years).

Similar Products Used: some average hardtails and a proflex 950
Lindsay   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 03, 1999]
Strength:

light, sexy

Steering is a little squirlly. This could be from the fork or rizer bar.

This bike honks. Someone stole my Shwinn Moab and I was force to upgrade what a difference! Acceleration is fantastic in tight single track. Climbs like a monkey and has more control going downhill. The only problem I have had is with over steerage while climbing. This may be due to the fork that stinks or the riser bars which came stock on the bike (Colorado cyclist).

John   Racer [Apr 25, 1999]
Strength:

Ti Frame, Geometry, Light, Looks Bad Ass

This bike is unbelievable! It is the fasetest climber of any bike currently on the market! This opinion is shared by many! In addition it downhills as fast as my old full-suspention.

Similar Products Used: Used to ride a GT Team LTS
TROND THOMSEN   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 24, 1999]
Strength:

IT HAD SPEED AND IT WAS STIFF

NONE

THIS BIKE IS FUN. IT GOT ALL THE THINGS A CROSS-COUNTRY RIDER NEED. IF YOU GOING TO SPEND MONEY IN A BIKE THIS IS THE BIKE FOR YOU.

Similar Products Used: CANNONDALE F2000
Keeratikul Sophonsiri   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2004]
Strength:

Good looking
good workmanship
sweet ride
soft and absorb

too soft for some cases
not as light
all 3 cable alighment those run beside the top tube is hard to adjust.

If you want to have a high end bike, buy titanium. There are not many legendary titanium frame in the market. Litespeed is one of them. This bike might not be the fastest bike, but it is one of the most enjoyable bike ever riden.

Similar Products Used: canondale F3000, merlin taiga
Guy Spiher   Racer [Aug 06, 2001]
Strength:

looks good assymetrical chainstays

Broke it after about 2 seasons Poor weld quality at head tube downtube junction I did better welds in Vo Tech weld shop

Sluggish handling Flexy rear end exorbitant price tag I can only recommend this bike for 40 year old plus wannabes Who think it looks good on top of the sport utility or beemer. NOTE>>> all Litespeed products ride the same trust me on this one. Disclaimer this does not apply to the road bike side of the product line.

Similar Products Used: Gunnar hardtail Schwinn Homegrown
Shawn   Racer [Apr 30, 1999]

I bought this frame in late 1993 from Colorado Cyclist before, if I recall, Litespeed produced full bikes. The bike has been compleatly flawless since the day I received it. No noises, nothing. After 13,000 miles, the wheelset with only extreamly minor touch ups and 1 replaced spoke is more true than just about all of the new wheel sets that I have seen (and I worked in a bike shop for a year and a half). I have been through several hard crashes. I race as much as I can which unfortunately isn't a whole lot. Its been dropped out of a truck. The bar end pinch bolt will contact the top tube when the bars are twisted around, to demenstate it's toughness I intentionally slam the bars around into the frame, the looks I receive are fun to watch. The frame is hardly sratched from this. The chainstays have never had any protection on them to protect from a slapping chain, hardly a mark is left there too. It's as fast as you can push. The only complaint I've had is the lack of rebound dampening in the Manitou 4 on hard, bumpy climbs (just old technology). I've owned 4 other bikes during the same time that I've owned this one, all but one of them are gone. I just upgraded to XTR and a SX TI fork. The thought of replacing the frame was never a serious consideration.