Kona 2001 Pahoehoe Hardtail Bike

Richard Stevenson   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

The frame is amazingly light and rigid...i kitted it out with full race face and xt components, and i am adding shimano mechanical disc's to it in a month, should fix the whole "lack of breaking" problem i am having.

the frame doesnt come with caliper mounts for disc breaks but an adapter is a cheap and viable option.

The frame is an amazing piece of machinery...the components that came on the original bike were not matched with the price of the rig but if you have some extra cash lying around it is totally worth building up the frame cos you end up with a 20 pound bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona caldera, specialized rockhopper A1 disc,
ICEMAN FROM AUS   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2002]
Strength:

AVID BRAKES,,,EASTON FRAME,,,SEAT

THIN PAINT...MAVIK RIMS A BIT SOFT

The bottom lines is that this bike is great,,,it gives so much confidence on the trail,,its a 18 inch,,,a bit bigger then i am used to but,,,i think geting a slightly bigger frame gives better stability on long trail day rides,,,and jumps a bit safer too,,,mine is set up with 130 mil,,,2000,,green Z1s DO,,,they are fantastic,,,i would never get a bike without,,a Z1 on it from now on,,,luv em,,also mine came with a XTR rear mech,,,which i am not to sure if they are better then a XT ,,,but still nice to have,,,also ,,single digit 7s are extra on it too,,and they stop like nothing i have experianced,,,overall,,,a great bike that i love dearly,,,and am glad to spend the extra money,,,to get one,,,but now the later models are speced down,,,now,,a real shame,,to save a few bucks,,,

Similar Products Used: AVANT MONTERI
Iceman from Aus   [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

well,,,,i have already posted a review bellow and this is my follow up 8 months after

none except for rim a bit soft,,and paint also

well this baby is still going great,,,,no problems with anything,,,i have never really had something i have liked so much,,,and have never been back to the same shop to say how much i like the bike until now,,,,if you can get hold of one of these,,,buy it,,,,one of the best hard tails on the market,,,,but alas they dont make them like this any more,,,,my next bike is going to be a Kona Stinky Delux,,2003,,,,check it,,out a mad bike,,,see ya dudes,,

DAWG   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2002]
Strength:

-lightweight
-components
-handleing
-paint job

could use some more XT or better components (but no problems with LX so far)

AWESOME!!! As previously mentioned in other reviews...it climbs great and decends incredibly. Full suspension riders usually tell me I should have gone with a full but, meanwhile, this thing blows right passed most of them. The first downhill singletrack I took it on made me realize why I bought this bike...it handles soooo nicely. It took me a little while to get used to the short stem but it was worth the wait. I love the Z.3's...the rebound control is definitely a nice feature to have. I've taken it on some pretty nasty downhill and it soaked it up like a sponge. The tires are great but they won't last too long (of course, that's true for any racing tire). I did notice a little slipping on some loose uphill sections. But, then again, So Cal is a bit on the dry, sandy side. The seat is one of the most comfortable I've ridden (in this price range). Last, but not least, it looks soooo cool. That was one of the main things that brought me to Kona. The components and overall ride are what kept me there. It's nice to ride something a little more unique (if I had a $1 for every Specialized, Trek, and Schwinn I saw out there...).

As far as hardtails go, this bike is a great deal for around $1000-$1200. I don't know if I'd go up to $1,400 (MSRP) though, unless it came with some XTR. At that price, you can get a decent full and just add on later. I'd recommend this bike for intermediate to advanced riders (unless you're a novice with lot's of cash!). I'll give it 5 Flamers because of the killer deal I got but if I paid full price it'd get 4!!!

Similar Products Used: GF Sugar 4, Trek 80, Stumpjumper, Schwinn Rocket, Moab, Homegrown
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

-super dialed geometry, perfect for mountain riding
-pretty smooth for aluminum
-amazing on technical trails

-none

I can't rave about this bike enough. I can rip trails that I could only sketch down on my old stumpjumper. This thing is a technical machine, but it also climbs realy well. It's pretty light but plenty durable. The marzocchi atom 80 is an amzing fork it's so smooth. The bobbing used to bug me but after a couple weeks I don't even notice any more. I am so stoked on the way kona's bike ride I have put in an order and made a big commitment. I ordered a Kona King Kihuna frame with all xtr parts as well as a 2002 atom 80 and some xtr-517 hoops with all race face components (splined next LP's Sweet ). So I would recomend a kona to anyone. I raced this bike 4 times this year and it did amazing. My results stayed the same but I wasn't as tired after because of the smoother ride than my old M2. If you have any doubts in buying a kona, DON'T because I garauntee you after your first ride it will be the best bike you've ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: -specialized M2-Pro
Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

-very nice light feel
-the geometry is totally dialed for this mountain riding
-nice handling

-I scratched my frame realy badly

I bought this bike because I wanted something light weight and very durable. Going by Kona retputation I totally decided to pick one of their frames. I chose this over the kula because of the cool gold paint job. I think these are realy mountain bikes they totally belong in the mountains becuase they are technically briliant bikes. They climb and downhill on technical trails better than any other bikes I've owned. I ride an 18" and it fits me perfectly. My choice of fork I believe has a lot to do with my this bike has suck a nice ride. The frame and fork are totally what make this bike, the xtr is nice but it's not as noticeable of a difference. I have my bike weighing about 23.5 pounds so it's pretty light but it's worth its weight in gold.

Similar Products Used: 98specialized M2-Pro
GAK ATTACK   Racer [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

FRAME:SUPERLIGHT AS WELL AS STRONG. LOOKS GREAT!
COMPONETS:GOOD.XT R-D IS AS GOOD AS XTR ANY DAY.LOVE AVID BRAKES.GOOD WHEELSET AND CRANK
FORK:I DONT CARE IF ITS A LITTLE HEAVY, ITS THE BEST FORK FOR THE PRICE; PLUSH,STIFF,SMOOTH

NO WEAKNESSES AT ALL . ALL STRENGTHS

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS BIKE. IT CLIMBS AND DESENDS WONDERFULLY. IN MY OPINION,KONA MAKE THE BEST FRAMES ON THE MARKET. ANY OLD COMPANY CAN MAKE A SUPERLIGHT FRAME, BUT ITS SOMETHING ELSE WHEN THAT FRAME IS VERY STRONG AND RESILANT. THE GREAT FRAME IS THE MAIN REASON THA I PURCHASED THIS BIKE. FOR $1200, NO BIKE HAD ANY OUTSTANDING FEATURES EXCEPT THE KONA PAHOEHOE. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THIS BIKE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Similar Products Used: STUMPJUMPERS,TREK 8000 8500,GT ZASKAR
Kale   Racer [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

-light
-very nice frame
-very fairly priced

-the stock tires, stem, handlebar, and cranks
-the fork is kinda weak too

I bought this bike because I needed a cross country bike that rips. This bike is a very solid and efficient climber as well as a very sturdy descender. I love the way this bike is dialed because in canmore I do ride a lot of hard climbs as well as realy rough technical descents and this bike is totally set up to do both very well. The fork and frame on this bike give it a very comfortable feel. I would recomend this bike to anybody who wants a do everything bike, but if your are a freerider of a weight weenie then look elsewhere but for the rest of us this bike will be smokin.