Kona 2001 NuNu Hardtail Bike

John   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2003]
Strength:

Great frame, I got this as a close out because it was pushing 2 years old. Good bike for the price but I think at 650 full price is too high. I bash some of the components but that's normal since you can build a better bike for the same cost as premade ones. After upgrading everythin the frame is one thing I'll not change. It's light, stiff, and durrable. I am 6'2" and wiegh 235 lb. This is one of the few frames that I tried that felt sturdy and stable even on downhill runs.

Heavy, Some components are low end. I've pretty much rebuilt this bike except for the frame here Are the stock components that I thought were not good: Front derailure, 8 speed (2002 + are 9), stem and handle bars are heavy, crank was cheap (Bent on my first agressive ride, front hub is cheap, the shock is very heavy and the lowest line that rock shox make.

Good bike if you get a deal (Under 450). Some components will need to be upgraded if you're an agressive rider.

mikey j   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 2003]
Strength:

light tough frame, solid deore spec, avids are a nice touch.

do not leave the shop with jetts on the bike, they suck and the bike deserves more. I chose some choice psylo's.

add some squishiness up front and u'v got urself a fun bike that'll handle more crazy stuff than ur average xc bike. Kona's are strong enough to hadle the big fork and it puts the rider in a much better position for fun stuff. so entry level mtber who just wants to ride everywhere this is a great bike for the price without the maintainence hassles and cost of dual sus and disc brakes.

Similar Products Used: many bikes that cost a lot more
Smite The Biker   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2001]
Strength:

Very Very good bike for the price. Solid and light frame, good gearchange, nice pedals with straps (good for bunnyhopping just don't let them slip or shins will bleed severly!!!!!!), nice colour. Good first real mountain bike, also very good bike to keep for life, or until you can afford a quality full suspension.

The Rock Shox Jett Front Forks. Very boring bottom of the range need upgrading. Personnaly i am looking at the 2002 Judys. That is the only weakness i can think of. It is a quality bike.

Very impresive!!! Go out and buy it now!!!

Similar Products Used: Trek 4900, Giant Chicago Sports, Trek 4500, Kona Lavadome.
kenny Walker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2001]
Strength:

Great for the beginning rider. The suspension is fully functional, the derailers are low maintenance, and the bike is really strong outa the factory.

Frame is slightly heavy. Low grade of aluminum is the reason for this. Lower end components, but.. like someone else said, u get what you pay for.

This is a great bike for you people out there who aren't sure if you want to be a hardcore mountain biker. I wasn't sure at first, but when i got my NuNu, i was hooked... It was a great bike to teach me the ways of the trail, but now because my improved skills and desire to hit harder trails, im going with a higher end bike. I'll always remember my NuNu though.

Similar Products Used: Test rode Trek 8500, Specialized Stump Jumper Pro, and Cannondale F 2000 (getting ready to get a new bike)
Robag   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2001]
Strength:

The ride, feel, sloping top tube, color, looks, and the components for the price.

If there is any one weakness with this bike, it would be the Jett fork. Again, you are getting what you paid for.

This bike is a great bike for the type of riding that I do. I generally use the bike to get to work and back, but I tend to do a little bit of off roading on my way home from work. The bike does exactly what I expect the bike to do. When I do go and hit the trails on the weekend, I am having a blast with this bike. I mean, it is not the top bike out there, but for the type of riding I do, it is great. If you are looking for a serious bike to do some major biking, look at a higher level KONA. But if you are like me, and just like to get out once in a while, this is one hell of a bike.

Similar Products Used: Tested a GT Aggressor 1.0
Justin Rath   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

tough frame, low maintenance, great components for the price paid, love the color,

The wheels, I bent them out of true the first day I had the bike but I am used to BMX bikes and you can pound the crap out of them so that is probably the culprit.

Great bike for someone just getting into the sport and is unsure if you will like it. I think this is a perfect begginner bike but i will probably upgrade to something better in a year or so.

Similar Products Used: GT Agresor 1.0
brian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2001]
Strength:

Good value for lighter weight bike and good component mix

yet to be discovered

Worth a good look and serious test ride as a first or second bike. I probably will change or upgrade components as needed and make this one last. As all bikes, the frame size and fit are key to an enjoyable ride. Get the bike that feels right.

Similar Products Used: replaced a '91 Specialized Hard Rock that I rode for 10 years, test rode Marlin Full Sus and Gary Fisher Marlin
brian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2001]
Strength:

Good value for lighter weight bike and good component mix

yet to be discovered

ale carpenter   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2002]
Strength:

great bike nice balance and weight. I ride a fairly flat gravel trail with some stumps and roots to jump, this bikehandles it with ease.Good bike for someone breaking into mountain biking. i got a deal by buying last years model

i think the springs in the shocks are at limit. I weigh 210lbs. will probably upgrade springs or forks Not sure about foot cages taking some getting used to

this is a good all round bike nicely equiped for the price if I buy another bike it will be a kona. oh yeah as everyone says great color. I was looking for a good entry level bike and this is it. The brakes and shifters are all above bottom line . Shimano deore shifters and avid 3 brakes . mavic rims and factory 2" tires.