Kona 2000 Muni-Mula Hardtail Bike

Kona 2000 Muni-Mula Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-4, 3.15" travel fork

[Nov 23, 2001]
Jasper

Strength:

Great bike for the money. Frame geometry is awesome. Z4 will handle anything you give it. Avid brakes Stop on a dime. It glows in the dark. Climbs like crazy.

As much as I love this bike it has not been all roses for me. Let me add that I am 6'4" 250lbs. The seat needs to go if you want to have kids someday. The seat post has an annoying creak. Now for the Mavic rims. I managed to taco the rear rim after 4 spokes let go on me.

Bottom line. After putting a little money into a rather new bike I would still buy it again. The Kona frame is one of the best on the market and components are components. The only downside I can really see on this bike are the wheels, but if you only weigh 175 or so they will last fo ever. I give it 4 chilis in value but love the bike too much to not give it a 5 chili overall

Atique GT

[Oct 08, 2001]
Joseph

Strength:

Great ride, great fork, good spec for the money,

wheels kinked easily, brakes needed some adjustment

Fantastic bike for the money, Fork and geometrey give a confidence inspiring ride. I have had it for 3 months and have still found very few faults.
Climbs like a beast

98 Specialized Rockhopper FS

[Jun 03, 2001]
Tzur

Strength:

frame strength and geometry, marzucchi Z4!!!, components, Kona's reputation.

non yet for XC needs.

This bike is great for skilled riders who wants to upgrade for more serious bike but are not serious racers. the marzucchi is god! you need the appropriate marz' pump (with the low pressure gauge)to set it correctly. about the price see the value flamin' cows. I wrote this review for the 2000 model even though its true also for the 2001 model. if you belong to the progressive, nonracing (or 'light' racing) xc rider category YOU SHOULD BUY THIS BIKE.

trek 4500

[Apr 17, 2001]
Brad Hewitt

Strength:

Handles well , Fairly light frame,but very strong
Awesome feel

The rims bent easliy, The stock brakes were very powerful for the first month. The forks were strong but
not very plush on the trails. The cranks and bottom brackets could be a little better.

I love this bike It fits me perfectly.
I like the fast almost spastic feel.

[Apr 02, 2001]
Suzi

Strength:

-So far, great for doing tricks, I can handle it with ease.
-First time on clips and loving it.(they are kinda low end, but who cares, you get lotsa good cadence)
-The Arch Rivals are very sexy breaks, but I needed to adjust them a few times for some fine tuning.
-The shocks are damn good, the overall geometry is nice.
-Glows in the dark, so when i walk in my garage I smile and rub it.
-Kona's bikes are overall economically great (.. the 2000 muni mula is so much better than the 2001) Im sure you will all agree.
-nice on decents and especially on long long climbs

While the geometry is nice, I personally prefer the genesis geometry of the Gary Fishers (Big Sur is comparable)
The deore cranks are shyt. I had cable stretch even after a few rides.
-lighter riser bar damnnnit
-better tire/rim set up

Comp mabye? but it needs some upgrades, (front derailer is crap, deore?) come on now...
... crankset/front deraileur needs to be changed if you are serious rider
Sweet breaks, good geometry, good shocks,
Good spend.

Kona Caldera,
Gary Fisher Big Sur,
Gary Fisher Marlin

[Mar 07, 2001]
Chris Janes

Strength:

Great bike for the dollars. Glows in the dark. Marzocchi A4 Flylight Air shocks are great. Tioga tires and Avid Arch 40 brakes kick ass.

Decals chip way too easily (scraped mine on a rock and "mula" is gone from the riser bar on right side). Paint on front shock chips easily too. A squeaking noise has developed in rear hub, but only when I am on the bike. It may be due to my weight (200 lbs). Cheap rims, but what bike under $2,000 doesn't have cheap rims?

Overall it's an enjoyable ride and a good bang for your buck!

None. First mountain bike.

[Feb 27, 2001]
way2jedi4u

Strength:

Color (It Glows In The Dark!!!)
Marzocchi Z4 Flylight Air Fork
Tioga Tires
Avid Arch 40 Brakes

Shimano Deore Hollowtech Cranks
Mavic 221 Rims
Shimano Deore Front Deraileur
Weight

I love my bike, but I have been unable to ride it for the past two weeks because the cranks became stripped. The Mavic 221 rims came out of true after two days of riding. I plan to replace the cranks soon with some inexpensive carbon ones. Rims to be replaced in the near future by XTR Hubs on Mavic 517 Ceramic rims. Bottom Line, I love this bike, and I am glad that I got the 2000, and not the 2001, as I prefer the convenience and weight of the air fork to the heavier oil fork on the 2001. In case you didn't know, Muni-Mula is Aluminum spelled backwards.....
~The Jedi

Trek 7000
Schwinn Moab 1
Kona Cinder Cone

[Nov 27, 2000]
Andrew Parlock

Strength:

*Great Frame
*Dope looks
*Greater climbing bike
*It fits me like a glove
*Bulletproof, it oozes confidence
*Marzocchi Z4 Flylights in the front

*Rear shifting issues
*Rims are a little suspect

I'm absolutely in love with this bike. It's like having a girlfriend, I her hell for about 3 hours 3-4 times a week then make sweet love to her afterward.
Seriously, this bike is really light and so strong. the shocks are adequate, nothing to write home about, but they do a good job. What it all comes down to is, this bike has a great frame, and the components complement the frame well.
Kona makes such a great product:I was die hard GT for a while, but Kona won me over with their Frames.

Gary Fisher Aquila
GT Karokoram

[Nov 16, 2000]
Z

Strength:

I am actually reviewing the 2001 Muni-Mula. Mostly the same as the '00 but they added hollowtech cranks, a different seat, stem, bars and a new paint job, and downgraded the Arch Rival 40's to Avid SD 5.

None yet, although the shop I got mine from did a crappy job on assembly...loose headset and the rear derailer needed adjustment before I got on. Oh yeah the seat kinda hurts my ass....

Even with the cheaper SD 5 on the front and rear they they still do a decent job of stopping. The components all seem good and you gotta love the nice plush Z5. Very impressed so far.

Schwin Moab 3, K2 ZM

[Nov 04, 2000]
Pete

Strength:

Strong frame that can handle drops, Z4 takes anything, unique look, GLOWS in the dark

Not all that much
Tires

Great ride! Haven't really had any trouble except for the shifting in the rear. Anyone else getting a lot of ghost shifting? Gonna try a Rollamajig. Frame is light enough and sturdy enough for everything I use it for. Great for a lighter (160-170) rider who wants to throw it around, drop stuff, and do some real technical xc. Go get one, Kona's rule!!