Kona 2000 Fire Mountain Hardtail Bike

2000 Fire Mountain

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281-EL, 2.5" travel fork

Fabian   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2013]
Strength:

I Bought This Bike Use A Couple Of Months Ago But The Frame Is As Strong As Any New Bike
And Its Lighter Than Alot Of Aluminum Bikes, It Had Good Components But Had To Switch Them Out Since The Bike Had Been Sitting Outside For A Long Time, All Alivio Componets, Race Face Ride Crankset, Bontrager Race Modified Wheels With 26x1.25 Bontrager Slicks, Race Face Stem And Handlebars.

The Fork Sucks But Since I Dont Go Off Road It Doesnt Really Matter, Planning To Switch To A Rigid Fork Since I Do Long Distance Rides

Just Fell In Love With The Bike, Plan To Do More Upgrades To It.

Daniel   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Great bike, light, easy to use and setup, paint work stays pretty much intact even after 12 years of owning this beauty, just cleaned up today and it looks brand new except where the wire tucks behind the head stem.
Have ridden this bike 20 miles bk n forth from work for last 12 year's, 5 days a week then used it at weekends for woodlands riding, and still rides fantastic after being knocked off my bike twice by idiot car drivers not watching the road.

Forks are absolutely pants and doesn't take a pounding although mine lasted 11 years of taking it easy on them, have replaced the forks with some white rock-shox Reba with white crown and it looks lush now.
Also seat n seat brackets are pretty dodgy and used to regularly come loose.

Absolutely brilliant bike, reliable, fun, light and still after 12 years runs like a dream and gets admiring glances.
Prefer my kona over my merida 2011 any day and will hopefully be buried with it someday, lol, although hopefully with my bike and not mangled into my bike

craig   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

the frame is of good geometry and very strong. The brakes work well and the handlebar / stem set up is good.

The fork is very poor and I snapped the coil/spring after 6 months of use. I found the wheels to be weak as they constantly needed trueing. Saddle is of low quality , i ripped mine . The seatpost clamp bolt snapped on my bike.

Nice bike and even better when upgraded

Similar Products Used: rocky mountain elevation , specialized hard rock
Gil   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2006]
Strength:

I bought this bike second-hand and while the drivetrain, bars, stem, brakes, seat and post were all stuffed, along with tyres and pedals, I got a bargain. The frame is superb - Just what a nice steel frame should feel like.

I didn't own this bike from new but unfortunately it came with the POS RST fork everyone's moaned about already. Things like pedals, saddles, tyres and bars will always be criticised - It comes down to personal taste. But trust everyone when they tell you, the fork's not worth the weight it adds to the bike.

Mine now stands me less than €300 all in - It's good as new and an equivalent quality 'new' bike would cost a hell of a lot more than that. If you can find one at a good price in great condition, buy it. Kona steel XC bikes were always something great and just because it's getting older doesn't mean it's lost any of that magic.

Oh, I'd suggest you ignore the last comment - These bikes will like all others have their minor failings - For me, it's the restriction on replacement suspension forks to 80mm or thereabouts and the flex on the back end around the brake bosses. But the bike fits me and both of these 'complaints' could be dealt with relatively easily with a booster and an older Zocchi fork. The last review though can't lend anything to the rest in terms of balance and perspective - I hope mine has!

For value - I've based it on my purchase price - You too can find one at this price at this time if you look around a bit. For overall - I've taken into consideration that I've been able to 'craft' a super old-skool XC racer for little money and it performs superbly.

Similar Products Used: M-Trax 1000 (old skool), Trek Alpha, Kona Hahanna (aluminium), don't know the years to be honest - There are many more on the list including a Scott, a Merida, Sintesi custom etc - Mostly late 90's though.
Kona Rider   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

The frame hasn't been a trouble,and all the components work well if well mantained.

The fork sucks, It bottoms out off anything I have done from 3 to 6 foot drops. The seat and seat post are another weak part of the bike and need to be replaced quickly for comfort and riding needs.

It is what you would expect to get for its price, It was fine for what I started of doing but I have ended up getting into more serius trail riding and have begun trials riding and getting into urban assualting the town. I broke the stock seat and seat post, one of the stock rims and replaced both, and the fork needs to be replaced, THis bike is for the beginner bikers and that is it. I am looking to find a used norco trials frame and if anyone has one I would look into buying it.

Similar Products Used: Brodie kenetic, rocky Mountain hammer
SOUTH DOGG   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2000]
Strength:

Tuff bike for the price
The think won't die I have used it for everything

The shox arn't that great but they are still not to bad

The bike is great nice and tuff for the price.
I have done everything from take drop offs to useing it a bit for trials and I haven't had to replace anything.
Very quick in the trails cause I have rode other bikes and I never went as fast as I have with this Kona

Go buy it good bike for the price.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher
Jed   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2000]
Strength:

good frame, durable, light, good price

needs a better fork and the front derailer has caused me a few problems

I am a beginner and this bike has been pretty much ideal for me. I've used it for just about everything--including wrecking it on some big jumps I shouldn't have been taking--and its done great. I've been on trails with friends with $1500+ bikes and they've had problems when I haven't.
I would definately recommend it for beginning to intermediate level bikers, especially if you upgrade the fork and probably the seat.

scott raygor   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2000]
Strength:

evrything, Quality components, cranks, alum. bars, cro-mo frame, mavic wheels..etc, this bike climbs ANY hill I have come to, says a lot in western PA

I never used stock seat, I use a serfas reactive gel seat, have had problems with other types of seats.

awsome ride, light weight, smooth, shifts nice, good tires, I love it, highly recommend this bike to anybody, I have a 2 year old girl, have a kid seat on back of bike, still rides great, even better traction with increased weight on back.

Similar Products Used: this is the 1st quality bike I have owned, but have been shopping all summer, rode diamondback, trek, gary fisher, schwinn, raleigh, mongoose, and MANY more liked KONA best.
Zach   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

Nice frame. pretty good components, rims, tires, riser bar. Everything has behaved exceptionally well for me, excluding the fork.

fork sucks.Lookin to replace it with a Marzocchi Z4. the seat is hard as crap. better replace it quick.

Im extremely pleased and think it couldnt get much better. Its everything i want in a bike except the fork. Im not claiming to be a great biker or know it all, i really am basically a beginner, but i dont ride the wimpiest rails either. Hell the only true complaint i have other than the fork is i broke my arm last time i rode it and i still have some time in the cast before i can take it out again.

Tanner Holthe   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2000]
Strength:

The frame is very strong, the Mavic X138 rims are tough and valuable, the WTB tires are good for getting up steep hills, and the overall weight of 27lbs. is the best you'll find for under $700.

Considering that the 99 FireMountain has a better Fork and now a cheaper pricetag you might as well go with it. Otherwise the front derailer kinda sucks, the SDG saddle hurts your rear end and the Front Fork bottoms out really easy

This is an awesome bike for it's cheap price tag. It is excellent for beginners and worth putting a few bucks in for upgrades.