Kona 1999 Muni Mula Hardtail Bike

1999 Kona Muni Mula, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore LX/XT components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-4, 2.5" travel fork

Dean   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2002]
Strength:

Good components, sweet geometry, good welds, good 'feel'.

weak rims and hubs

This thing flys. If you want to ride recreationally or seriously, this is a great choice, with big bang for the buck. I've entered it in everything from log pull contests to x-c races. Plan on three this summer. Climbs all day, allll dayyyy...and then it climbs some more. Swing behind the seat and it drops down hill pretty good. All in All, 5 out of 5 steaming cowpies

Similar Products Used: prior was trek 9000, diamond back apex
Tamás Mészáros   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2001]
Strength:

Kewl color, geometry, Kona feeling :)

NONE!!!

Well-designed frame, I used it for XC racing, and it was great. This will be my frame for the next season :)

Similar Products Used: Magellan Crux
Justin Bowman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome Color
Strong Frame
Good Components
Kona!!!!!

NONE

This is the best purchase i ever made. This bike kicks bear ass, and it is a great price. Really light and dependable. Kona is the shiznit!!

Similar Products Used: GT Zascar, Mongoose Crap
Stoney   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Arch Rival brakes
Frame Geometry
Marzocchi Z4's

Tyres a bit slippy
No disk mounts

If you like a bike that skips over hardpack and gives that twitchy on the edge feeling at speed, then buy one. I'm 5'10 and the 18 frame has a fantastic feel off road. Accelerates like a bullit. Forks are as good as any I've tried. This is my first Kona but it won't be my last.

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude
Orange EvO2
Specialized Rock' A1 Comp FS
Mika   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

Blastproof frame with good geometry, decent mix of Shimano LX/XT components which work very well. Poverful brakes too (Avid Arch Rival 40). The Marzocchi Bomber Z4 fork has strong construction, handles OK. And oh yes, I just love the blue paint finish...

There aren't any REAL weaknesses in this bike. Fork is a bit on the heavy side, but then again it's a coil spring...and the tires didn't suit my riding style ;)

Very good value for money. Although it does look a bit like a freeride, it really is a solid xc machine. If that's what you're looking for, go get it. Nuff said.

Similar Products Used: Many rigid bikes, this is my first with front suspension.
Steve Price   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 06, 1999]
Strength:

Great forks. The handling of the Muni Mula is impeccable - really light and flickable - it flies. Riding position and the control it gives is fantastic

Tires could be more grippy, especially when turning in the loose stuff

The great components really do add up to a sum even greater than the parts. Component-wise it's well up there but what really makes it for me is the great geometry and riding position which makes it a real demon off road. It's also surprised me by feeling so light and yet so strong when being subjected to serious off road abuse. A fantastic bike that will also last some time.

Similar Products Used: None - A couple of test rides and I was hooked.
MachRacing   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2000]
Strength:

Strong lookin welds!
Riser bar
Bomber forks
Agressive geometry
LX/XT components

Factory saddle
Kona riser bar
Marzochi z4 fork weight

Great ride. Gives a sense of security on trail, strong welds. Nice choice of components. Upgrade the Z4 and Mavic 221s and you have a VERY agressive ride. Works well with 9 speed, very fast. Lower the seat for the trails and fooling around, raise it for some fast action. Tires are better than I expected. Works well when you have the rear tire set in cross country (reversed). Great overall price for the bike. Made in Taiwan? Ain't everything?

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Homegrown '97 XT
Specialized hardrock
Simon   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2000]
Strength:

Looks great, Good mix of components, Lightweight frame.

Fork is a little soft for me (6'2", 200lb).
I wore the tyres out fairly quickly but may be due to some rocky and rough downhill terrain that I was riding.

Fantastic bike, fast, light and good price. Perfect for budget XC racer or Weekend Wannabe (like me). Gets plenty of stares from the crowd.

Similar Products Used: Merida MAT TS PRO
Bilbo   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

Rides great, good component mix, well priced.

Stock tires arent the best, ritchey pedals dont work well in muddy conditions.

Well designed frame that is fun to ride for tight technical riding. Well priced - good value.

Similar Products Used: GF Big Sur.
Philippe   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is incredibly fast and quite light for the price. I feel like I'm in a ferrarri when I accelerate and like I landed on an aircraft carrier when I use the excellent Avid 40 brakes. The welds are the best that I saw of all the bikes I looked at. The components are excellent. Frame and paint quality are top notch. The fork is great too.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Mavic 221 rims which I've heard horror stories about. The tires at first seemed low end, but once I got used to them they were fine. The cool Kona decals come off easily.Seat should be better and I plan on melting the pedals and selling them as trinquettes.

This bike has made my 230lbs 6'2" frame a better rider at everything.I got this bike for only 800.00 bucks at a clearence sale at Open Road Bicycles. I am totally satisfied with the bike. I plan on racing and having many long fast riding days with this rocket. This bike seems to be aimed toward the "gung ho" type of consumer. BUY A KONA!

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000 (nice but didn't have the feel i wanted), Specialized A1 rock Hopper Pro(ewwww), GT Avalanche(heavy as a tank,good bike) Fisher Big Sur(decent) Raleigh m800(P.O.S!!),Cannondale(lightweight yet disgustingly blah)Trek Y3(heavy,slow,not good),Jamis(sweet bike, but Kona stole my heart)