Klein 2000 Attitude Comp Hardtail Bike

Klein 2000 Attitude Comp Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

[Apr 16, 2013]
KrisKlein

Strength:

Everything. Does everything I need with ease and so far none of the kit has let me down. A pleasure to live with and a still a real head-turner on the trails.

None so far although it is an absolute magnet for thieves!

Bought this bike from a close friend who had looked after the bike since new. Fortunately for me he was relocating with work and needed to sell the bike and I managed to get my hands on it! It's great on the commute and nothing short of biblical on the trails. It really is that good. The paint job is still in great condition and it really is a thing of beauty. Great bike and don't hesitate to buy if you get the chance - epic frame and if the components are crap change them! You'll never need to buy another frame again :)

[Jul 09, 2011]
Amazing

Strength:

Super Light! Even by today's standards. Awesomely quick. My friends are always trying to catch up. Climbs like there's no tomorrow. Super rigid. It's a Klein.

Bontrager crap. Has developed a click in the drivetrain somewhere. Nothin else. Chainsuck is terrible!

Awesome! Great bike. The kind of frame that you keep forever and just upgrade components as they break. Whenever we go out my friends struggle to keep up. This bike is super quick. And it climbs like a mountain goat. I'm the only one that makes it up the hardest climbs because of this bike. Chainsuck is terrible and everyone gives me crap for having an eleven year old bike. Beautiful paint job. Kind of bike that people whisper about how cool it is as they ride away on the trail. Absolutely great bike.

Nothing as great as this.

[Sep 06, 2008]
ez054098

Strength:

Light, stiff and light. I think I have it down to 23Lbs without breaking the bank. Super fast XC bike. Still a great paint job.

The components it came with were average. I have replaced almost everything. The Manitou SX forks are average.

Even though this is a post Trek Klein, it is still a fantastic Klein. This is my third Klein and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in ride quality between them all. It is a very light yet stiff bike. Made in the USA, can't go wrong with that.

Other LX equipped bikes.

[Jan 20, 2002]
Steve

Strength:

The bike is light, fast, and mean on handling. The ride is sheer bliss both on and off road.

I had to swap the pedal out for some new ones that would grip better. I also bought a Rock Shox seat post and had to buy a shim to make the post fit. I really wish someone would come up with a universal size for after market products. I swaped out the tires for Michelin slicks so I can jet around campus easier.

The changes I made to the bike was personal and not becasue I thought the components were bad. It is one of the stoutest bikes I've owned and I am very pleased. I would recommend the bike to anyone, and would also recommend a good lock if you want to keep it from being stolen. My wife has the exact same bike and she sings praises all day long while she zips around all the other yahoos who cannot keep pace with her. The Klein Attitude Comp is an excellent bike!!!

Cannondale

[Jul 12, 2002]
Brian Goldsmith

Strength:

The Rolf Wheels and Hubs! The Frame and its internal sloping design that is on most Kleins. This bike peformes so well even at higher speeds closer to 40 or 45 MPH.

All The Bontrager stuff although it works well. I just dont care for it because i am about to have to replace some of it and i just got the bike in Dec 01. Somthing makes a chirping sound but it doesnt effect the performance. It just bothers me so i am going to replace it. There really isnt anything bad on the bike it is just my personal preference.

If this is your first bike or not it is an awesome one to go with. I got it for so cheap because it was a year end sale and the manager said he rode it once and didnt like it. I LOVE IT. I dont know what he didnt like but i was happy to get it at half price! Even if you have to pay full price it is worth it! If you are looking to buy a hardtail bike buy a klein! i woouldnt spend the money if i was just going to ride it on the rode around town. It does perform well on the rode too, but i would save the money. It doesnt make since to buy an off-road bike and use it on the road or paved trail only. I recommend it as a racing bike or as an off-road bike just for fun. Buy it if you are serious about off-road riding.

This is my first MTB Bike. Wanted to start with a good one and find one on sale that was awesome!

[Sep 24, 2001]
Martijn

Strength:

- Frame: very stiff, makes it accelerate fast, less effort needed when climbing, handles brilliantly
- Saddle: very comfortable but not too soft, no troubles at all after 3+ hour rides.

- Replaced the chain immediately because of previous experience with Shimano chains
- Front derailler isn't porperly set-up, needs tuning
- Stock Bontrager tires not suitable for muddy Dutch conditions

Compared to my previous bike (the Rockhopper), it's a whole new world. It has a different geometry; my head is now nearly over the riserbar instead of halfway over the top tube. It therefore corners much better, allowing me to ride much tighter lines. Climbing is made easier, also due to easier shifting (apart from the fact that I cannot currently use the granny ring due to the faulty front derailler set-up). I've noticed I can ride longer with less effort on this bike than before. It does need a completely different approach when riding through mud. The Rockhopper just wanted to go straight ahead, so racing through mud was comparatively easy. The Klein is more nervous and needs to be pushed straight ahead. It took some getting used to, but it is not a weakness.
The non-stock brakes and bar-ends are both winners, see separate reviews for those.
So far, I have not noticed any chain suck as reported by others, and I really like the saddle.
The Manitou fork is still in its break-in period and is a bit too soft as yet, but that is tunable once it's been broken in.
Basically, if you want a quick-handling XC bike, take a look at this Klein.
For first impressions after three weeks use, there's nothing wrong with my riding which can be attributed to the bike. So there's just one possible overall verdict: 5!

Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, size XL (2.5yrs)

[Aug 02, 2001]
Brant Eichfuss

Strength:

-amazing climbing and handling
-hellishly fast
-Light but not 'too light' where parts start to fail.
-Frame is a keeper, so it is worth it to upgrade components as your wallet allows.
-bike setup has drivetrain working like a top Swiss watch.
-Beautiful paint job that the ladies love. Life is too short to ride a boring bike! This thing is like a piece of art.
-I've wanted one of these for years, and I'm glad they got rid of the proprietary headset and BB they had for a while.

-paint may chip more than some, but not bad so far.
-some other bikes may have better component spec for the same price, but don't forget the Klein frame is where the money is on this bike.
-uncomfortable saddle exasperates the stiff oversize-aluminum frame
-don't even think about locking this bike up anywhere! It can turn heads for the wrong reason as well.

This is the last hardtail I will need to own. This bike is built for fast XC riding, and does it very, very well. (I think it must have a motor hidden inside somewhere!) It really has improved my riding, the shock works well for the price, and the whole bike is great for singletrack where you have to be able to flick the bike back and forth quickly. I used to hate climbs, but the frame is so stiff and light that they are a breeze. I could scarcely be happier. Frankly, there is no need to spend more money on a bike like this unless you are a pro racer. However, if you are a freerider or bike abuser, you shouldn't be buying a lightweight bike like this. Instead, go check my review of the Kona Stinky instead.

Handbuilt steel hardtail, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale CAAD 3 (my god-it flexes visibly!), Rocky Mountain

[Dec 27, 2000]
Tony

Strength:

Beautiful frame welds and internal cable routing. Absolutely beautiful paint job. Stiff bottom bracket and frame, but still extremely comfortable. Very light!!

None, except the paint is so nicely done you hate to see it get scratched, but hey I guess if you're riding hard it's going to get scratched.

It is a little more money than other stock production bikes equipped the same or similar, but for the money this is one hell of a sweet riding bike. Although I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, I've been riding almost every day despite the fact that it's cold wet and slushy in Georgia right now. This bike truly climbs like a mtn goat on steroids. On long climbs that I used to work hard in the smallest gear on my old bike, I just cruise right up on this bike. Since it's been wet every day I've ridden this bike I really haven't gotten a true feel of exactly how awesome it will be, but from what I've seen in the wet this thing is unbelievable. The only complaint with this bike is the tires it comes with (Bontrager Revolt) pretty much suck in the mud. I put Bontrager Jones on for mud and they work great, and I'm sure the Revolts will be great in the dry summer months here.

This bike replaced my worn out Specialized Stumjumper. When I was shopping for this bike I also test rode: Trek 8000, Gary Fisher Mt.Tam, a couple Cannondale's, and new Stumjumper's.

[Sep 12, 2000]
Patrick Doran

Strength:

Rides like butter, so fast and smooth. Looks great, very rock solid.

Makes me feel like a God. It is making me do increasingly more suicidal stunts.

I rode down my first outdoor flight of stairs on this bike here in San Francisco. I know this isn't a Downhill bike, and the jostling made it apparant....but I still made it down without a scratch, and without a single complaint from the bike. This bike is godly. Why doesn't it make some sort of noises? At least I got SOME creaking out of the TREK. Buy this bike if you ride every day you can and it is your only real passion, otherwise you do NOT DESERVE THIS BIKE! Also - GET A U LOCK!!!!! If you are using a Chain/cable lock, even a Kryptonite one, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR BICYCLE! And if you see anyone stealing Trek's around Powell Street in San Francisco, MURDER THAT PERSON PLEASE!

Trek 8000 SLR(got stolen, not as good anyway) Specialized FSR, GT, Kona, and a few others.

[Jun 27, 2001]
E-Train

Strength:

Sweet bike. Beautiful frame, excels in tight singletrack.

I haven't found any yet.

I love this bike. It just begs to be ridden fast in the singletrack. It handles like no bike I have ever rode. I would strongly recommend this bike to the avid rider who enjoys singletrack. It kicks ass.

Specialized Stumpjumper