Klein 1999 Attitude Race Hardtail Bike

1999 Attitude Race

1999 Klein Attitude Race, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 2.75" travel fork

jeffrey kern   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2007]
Strength:

Even for a used bike, I would take this 99' kline anywhere!
I love the frame dementions,smooth ride components are great,this bike just fits me great!

Break down isnt the smoothest that I have had, ie pulling wheels to leave for the day, but for a 23lbs. bike its no prob, after the break down to get it on any rack.

best six hundred bucks ever spent!!! matter a fact I would still pay 1200.00 or more.....used just a awsome bike.

Similar Products Used: kona,GT,RD
Martin Bjaerke   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Light, stiff and beautiful. Parts work flawlessly together.

Bontrager Race wheels, LX parts of the drivetrain could be lighter, lighter tires/tubes? Slightky heavy fork (Manitou SX)

This is one of the best climbing bikes there is, with a compact, agressive geometry (I even use the Medium size for all my 6ft1. Nice shifting but the brakes could be better (planning on XTR v-brakes for weight's sake). Fork is fully adjustable with the nice lock-out lever for sprints. I've had plenty of paint chips from gravel coming off the front wheel, though, but it's easily covered since it's black. It's a little shaky on tough descents, maybe has got something to do with the 70 mm fork. A very nice starting point for upgrades (fork, wheels, drivetrain, brakes). And I love the SDG seat, even if it's cheap! Excellent for climbing, technical terrain and sprints (w/ lock-out).

Similar Products Used: Miyata Elevation 10.000 (carbon/XT)
Goh Kee Joon   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 15, 1999]
Strength:

Very stiff frame. Geometry idel for climbing/ descending.

Lacquer could have been thicker. Much thicker, the way they used to.

The geometry of the bike is somewhat ideal for both road and off road riding. I am 1.75m high, 85kg and am riding a Medium. I have no problem with the fit.
A truly FAST bike. Responsive stiff and light.

Similar Products Used: Trek y-22
Matt Gersib   Racer [May 04, 1999]
Strength:

Climbing rocket
stable, precise handling
Manitou fork

LX crank/BB

A superb racing bicycle. Climbs well. In tight singletrack, I prefer my Bontragers, but they're a product of their environment (Santa Cruz). Very stable when bombing down rocky descents, especially since I added the Tamer suspension seatpost. I wiped out hard on Porcupine Rim in Moab, and put a small dent in the top tube (from a rock). It's in a good spot (if there is one for a dent in a frame), so I'm not too worried about it. Pretty thin tubing though. I guess that's why it's light, 'eh? Originally, I thought that I liked my Bontrager geometry better than the Klein, but am starting to think that the Klein would be a handful if it was as steep as my Bonti. The Bontis have some top tube flex that moderates the quick front end, the Klein doesn't have this luxury. The Klein layout on my XL frame is very close to a Fisher Genesis bike. Very long top tube, short stays, great climber, stable descender. My only complaint is cosmetic. The paint isn't up to normal Klein standards (they know about this, and it bums them out too). My bike has several scratches in it from gravel coming off the tires, which shouldn't happen on a bike of this quality. The craftsmanship of the frame is impeccable though. I was up at Klein a couple of weeks ago, and was amazed at what I saw. You might think that Klein is a mega company, being owned by Trek and all, but it's really still a pretty small shop off of a gravel road in the country outside Chehalis. The proprietary equipment that is used to build these bikes shows a level of thought and detail that borders on obsession. Maybe even crosses the line. They ride their bikes, and it shows.

Similar Products Used: I own 3 santa cruz-made Bontrager hardtails.Trek OCLV
JC   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2001]
Strength:

Some decent components, weight, price was great since I worked a deal. Climbs nicely.

The paint. My nephew could have put on a better paint job with his water colors than Klein did. I ride this bike mainly on mellow up hill/cross country rides since I have a GT 1.0 for my bombing sessions and it really gets minimal use but I can't believe the amount of paint chips. After owning the bike for a couple of months, the frame looked like it was 10 years old. The LX cranks and BB. The bontrager pedals busted after 3 months (1 of them anyway) and I switched those out. I guess they had a problem with them and they will be replaced free of charge if your LBD has any pull. I was not privy to this and had to pay. The seat is garbage. Why switch to external cable routing? I think the 2000 or 2001 went back to internal. The lock out front suspension is really useless. Why would you ever want to lock it out?

I would not reccomend this bike. Klein has been living of it's past reputation and has let it's quality go south on it's newer frames/bikes. There are plenty of other motivated, hungry bike manufacturers out there who are innovative and quality conscious. Klein is slipping I'm sorry to say.

Dominic   [Mar 06, 2001]
Strength:

stiff and light:)

paint chips where the cables are routed around the headtube.
do yourself a favor and either monitor this area and get it repainted if necessary since Klein offers a year warranty on the paint(like I did this winter) or buy some ski saver and wrap it if you really like your paint

Great frame, super quick, flies up the inclines, stiff and solid. Raced it last year and have already stuck some miles on it this year. Still love it. Replaced all the stock parts and customized it a bit to lighten it up and fit me better. Anyway if you like your paint protect it, and other than that..no worries. Buy the Klein.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Paragon
John   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2001]
Strength:

Light and stiff frame, fast, surprisingly good at climbing up gnarly technical terrain. Seems to handle and track well on the descents. The big sky blue color looks yummy and the price is also reasonable. Extra large size weighs only 23 lbs. once most components were upgraded. The stock fork (Manitou Mars) is very light – keep it. Makes a good road bike in the winter as well -- just swap out the wheel set with a road specific setup.

Some of the components should be upgraded once the bike is purchased. The paint chips and scratches easily. Get rid of that stock UN52 bottom bracket and use it as a barbell. I wouldn’t recommend this bike for heavy people or clones that like to do big drops – the frame is somewhat fragile.

One of the best hard-tails out there. I highly recommend this bike for anyone that likes climbing and riding fast cross-country. I’ve only been to Moab once with this bike but was surprised by its performance on Poison Spider. It definitely out-performed my Zaskar, which I rode the last time I did that ride. Again, I was surprised at how well it performed technically. Perhaps, the geometry is superior to my previous bikes.

Similar Products Used: Previous bike was a GT Zaskar LE. I’ve found this bike to be faster on the road but have not had the chance to compare the two on my favorite Colorado big climbs. I’m assuming the Klein will result in better times.
Greg   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2000]
Strength:

Great light-weight frame with good components for the price.

Frame is inherently weak at the right-side rear drop out.

I purchased this bike new in January 1999. After a year of moderate use the right-rear chain stay broke at the drop out. Upon closer examination, it appears that Klein, in the interest of producing a replaceable derailer hanger, halved the thickness of the drop out and put a bolt-hole through this high-stress part for which to bolt the hanger. The quick-release skewer nut holds the two parts together in a sandwich. For 2000, Klein has changed the design and eliminated the replaceable hanger. If you are considering a used 1999 versus a 2000, spend the extra money for a 2000 or make sure you have warranty coverage for the 1999. If any LBS is trying to sell a 1999 frame, say "no thanks".

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, GT
Ron   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2000]
Strength:

The frame

Some of the components

When I first bought this bike, it suffered from terminal chain suck (when the chain fails to shift from the middle chainring to the small one properly, and jams against the frame.) There was also a lot of noise coming out of the
crank.

I was quite upset, but my LBS and Klein did what was necessary to solve these problems. To get rid of the chain suck it was necessary to replace the LX chainrings with XT rings, and replace the chain with the Dura-Ace/XTR chain.
I have not had a single instance of chaing suck since replacing most of the LX components in the drivetrain with XT. My bike also came off the showroom floor with bad bearings in one of the RE-1 peddles, so they got replaced as well.

I felt the modulation I was getting from the Avid 1d 20 V-brakes the bike came with was unsatisfactory and I did not like the brake levers either, so I upgraded these components (see bike setup above) and am experiencing vastly superior braking control now.

I am happy with the Manitou shock that comes stock on the bike. I use the lockout for climbing fire roads frequently and the shock is extremely adjustable.

I replaced the semi-slick tires too of course, and am now running a Panaracer Fire up front, and a conti-xc in back.

The bottom line is that the frame is fantastic - the first time I rode a klein bike, I knew I had to have one. It is stiff in those ways that it should be, without losing flexibility in other ways that are desirable. I know that some people don't like aluminum hard-tails because they are too stiff. Not this one - it is a tough thing to explain!

I probably would not be so happy however if my LBS (Chain Reaction in Cupertino, CA) and Klein had not done everything necessary to make this a silent and smooth running machine.

The bottom line is that I love to ride this bike - looking out the window at the Santa Cruz Mountains..... I think I will go riding right now!

Bav Bavis   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2000]
Strength:

Amazing Frame
Excellent Wheels and components

Rear facing dropouts, maybe?

I bought this bike because I wanted a fast light weight hardtail as an upgrade on my 98 Marin Muirwoods. The Attitude is amazing, I tried several bikes at about the £1000 mark and the Klein simply felt better than any of the others. Originally I was going to get the Attitude Comp but finally decided to pay the extra money and get the Race.

It's obviously much lighter than my Marin and it handles alot better, this bike climbs really well and I can take corners much faster than I could on the Marin. The components are all first class. The Manitou SX forks are easily adjustable and soak up the bumbs without being too bouncy, you don't notice they are there (just as it should be). My only complaint is the rear facing dropouts take a little getting used to when removing the rear wheel.