KHS 2001 Alite Hardtail Bike

Oliver Whalley   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, awesome geometry, stylee paint job

None so far

Can't wait to race this beast, but the feel from training has been amazing. It climbs like a mountain goat on speed, and I have a newfound confidence when it comes to descending. Easton Ultralight tubing keeps it light and relatively stiff, and the best paint job I've seen on a bike tops it all off! A must for any bargain seeking XC racer...

Similar Products Used: K2 proflex 5000, Diamondback zetec comp
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

Price, brakes, butted Easton frame, comfortable WTB seat and components.

very narrow tires (1.85"). Supergo claimed the z4 was 100mm travel, but it is only 80mm. Leaky brake master cylinders.

The WTB tires that come on the bike make the bike look like it is for riding on the roads. Nashbar.com has tires on sale that will work better in muddy conditions.

I have noticed small air bubbles coming out from under the lids of the brake's master cyclinders. I just put a little gasket grease on the seals to stop the leaking, but I haven't tested them again in the wet weather. I am very happy with the performace and feel of the brakes. They are not effected in snow and wet conditions like "V" brakes.

Supergo.com advertises the bike in its fall catolog as coming with a long travel 100mm z4, but it is a 80mm travel z4. Supergo is sending me the bumpers to change the travel to 100mm.

Best deal in the $700 price range I was able to find.

Similar Products Used: Giant Rainer SE
Brendan   Downhiller [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

Brakes,Frame,Rear Derailluer,Rims,Hubs,Weight,Seat,Colors

Tires,Fork,Front Derailluer

Good for the price. Good idea to upgrade the fork. Brakes are awesome for this price. Spent $405 on upgrades but it was worth it. The stock bike is wicked light and upgraded can be even lighter. Best for cross country or you can upgrade like me and change easily into dual slalom/urban assult/free ride bike.

Similar Products Used: None
chuck   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2002]
Strength:

The frame gussets are strong and reliable.

The crank TruVativ Five D and BB are crap. The granny gear bent on me after the second ride. My last ride was a disaster, the middle chain ring bent and kept derailing the chain... I am placing an ad in the Recycler. No, I don't feel right selling this piece of crap to anyone. Unlike the khs dealer who sold this piece of crap to me...look out for khs dealers with forked tongues. The Judy TT Rock Shox does nothing for me when I am on a fast descent. The Judy vibrates and shutter when braking. Another mistake was the use of PowerTools front and rear brakes...hate them! If you have to save a few more dollars before you can buy the next bike up from this one it would be a wise decision to start saving.

Stay clear of TruVativ Five D, anything from PowerTools, and Rock Shox Judy TT. If this is going to be your first mtb make another choice fast. I ride every weekend and this was a poor choice for upgrading from my old rigid to a front suspension bike.

Similar Products Used: ??? No such thing...I have never experienced such poor quality and setup ???
Eric Stoddard   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2002]
Strength:

In the past 4 mo's I have started to get very active in mtb. I previously owned a Kilimonjaro, Mt. Shasta. I have been very pleased with my decison to upgrade with the KHS. It has been fairly solid for me as I have been pushing my limits each time I take to the trail. I find for the price and my abilities this has been a great purchase. I would highly recommend this bike to any beginner or any rider who is not out to take 10 foot drops, some one who is looking at intermediate cross-country riding. The bike is light with a solid shock (well, I have only taken 3-4 ft drops and its worked fine. I am also 21 lbs, it is a solid shock despite what the brands name.)

I found the kevlar tires at 1.85 where not what I was looking for. They are great for the road and solid trails, watch out once you hit sand and loose gravel though. I replaced the WTB tires with a pair of Ritchey WCS alpha and Omega tires. I would recommend these tired to anyone they are phenominal!! The only other problem that I have found is the rear deralliure. It is a shimano drive train which would lead one to thik it would work like a champ..... I am yet to have it work for more then a 2 week period with out taking it in to be tuned...But i have excellent service at the shop and it is in and out in 2 mins.

Beginner to intermediate trail rider......great bike to have!!!!

joe   Cross Country Rider [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

very light, strong frame, good components, good sid xc front shock

its the besthard tail bike for the money the review i just told was for the alite 5000 only thing that is bad is you can only buy it from a team racer you cant buy it off the shelf in the store only if you buy it thru a racer

Similar Products Used: none this is the best
Tortoise   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2003]
Strength:

inexpensive and not too heavy.

I had to replace abolutely every component on this bike

This bike is was a good ride after I replaced all the worthless crap that was stock on it. I would not recommend KHS to anyone serious about mountain biking. If you only have $500 to spend, get a decent used bike instead of a cheap KHS. Unfortunately this bike was stolen in June of 2003. But maybe that was a blessing?

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro FSR
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

PRICE very good beginners bike

Rear Derailleur needs to be replaced it's quite slow if you cn upgrade out tourney it would be a lot better bike

You get what you pay for and what you get is a really good entry level bike after somecheap upgrades

Trevor   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2001]
Strength:

Oh its got tons! Nice and light, only about 26 lbs, and its great for going downhill or climbing. It also just a solid bike with a solid frame. You could take everything off this bike untill you've just got the frame, and than turn it into any kind of bike. Its totally upgradable. Both front and rear derailleurs are Shimano Deore, which is not something you see all the time.

Not many. The front shock is a Rock Shox Jett, which is there least expensive shock. but hey, its still Rock Shox quality and it works great.

Great bike for a great price! It's msrp is $749, but at the place I bought it it was marked down. This bike is a little on the expensive side for those who just ride occasionaly, and might not be worth it to those who will rarely use it. Up to this point I have been more of a weekend warrior, but this bike has sparked my intrestfor adventure and I plan on hitting a lot more trails in the near future.