K2 Bike 2000 Zed X Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Noleen Mega Air, 3.0" travel fork

Jed Jones   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2006]
Strength:

One hell of a climber, easily upgradeable, (I took full advantage of that fact) fast bike, will never get rid of it, just keep ungrading. Very light frame

Well, the original parts were crap, only things original are the frame and the seat post.

This bike has been great to me. I've climbed some mountains, bombed down some, did some races, taken many falls. I just keep upgrading, and keep riding.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Giant XTC
Todd Schlemmer   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2004]
Strength:

Nice Frameset - Disk ready, cranks, PRICEPOINT brakes+/- Noleen airshock (also disk ready), TruVativ cranks. WTB saddle.

bottom feeder components: Deore derailleurs, crappy Formula hubs, rims, stem.

Did I mention that this is a PRICEPOINT ride? I bought this purely because it was on sale and it fit the hitch on the Burley Bike Trailer I pull the kids around in. In the course of 3 years I killed the following: Formula Rear hub (freehub nuked). Stem (pinch bolt stripped), Front rim (taco'd), Headset (partly my fault - no maintanence - but not sealed). I sh1tcanned the "K2 brand" pedals by Wellgo and put some proper SPuDs on it. The Deore (NOT LX, XT) derailleurs are J-U-N-K; The springs are totally inadequate to the job of shifting quickly, much less under any kind of load.

Don't get me wrong - I have used this bike HARD. It has borne my fat a$$ over hill and dale. I have enjoyed many spectacular crashes on this steed. I just got a '04 Ellsworth Id and this K2 is going to be revamped as a Singlespeed Disk hardtail. Fun fun fun.

High value for intial cost, lower overall because of nec. upgrades to cheapo failure parts.

Similar Products Used: cannondale, specialized
Steven Downey   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight, 27 speed, disc ready wheels, great climber, a real looker.

None.

Great bike. Great price. Light, climbs like a mountain goat. Nice componentry. Worthy of upgrades. I find the Noleen Mega Air shock a bit stiff. I weigh 200 lbs and run the shock at 160 psi. Bought a Topeak shock pump from the dealer who sold me the bike. Lowest measurable psi is 60. I would recommend waiting for shop to order the Noleen shock pump or trying a Schwinn pump that offers lower readings especially for riders who weigh 170 or less. I am considering adding an Avid mechanical disk brake to the front.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Frontier (rigid), KHS FXT Trail (dualie)
Bill Makky   Weekend Warrior [Jun 14, 2001]
Strength:

The way it looks,price and the fact that they arent a dime a dozen.

The cranks are begining to creek a little, remember to tighten them evey once in a while. My seat also twisted after a minor mishap.

The schwinn was my first bike and I have no complaints but it was time for an upgrade. My choices came down to the fisher or the k2. The k2 fit me better and I loved the way it looks so I bought it. The fork is great and I love the way she handles. The bike is light and has potential to be even lighter. My times droped immeadiatly on the trail and the bike gives me confidence to go faster. I firmly believe that you are getting equal performance as the higher priced bikes. All the components are good enough remember this is a sub 1000 dollar bike. The cranks are the only thing that annoys me. If your an intermediate rider looking for a ride this is the bike for you. As your skill increases the k2 will do you just fine.

Similar Products Used: Scwinn Mesa gsx,trek 4500,and gary fisher big sur
David Saysamone   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2001]
Strength:

Everything on this bike is just perfect or near perfection. For the $650 I paid, there was NO better deal or bike. The Noleen mega air kicks @ss! Love it, heavier then SID, but perfect for me. The Avid brakes and levers are super strong and the TruVativ crank set is superlight.

The seat HURTS! I bent the crap out of the rails already, took me one year to get used to it. Why didn't I replace it earlier???? Because I'm too lazy to readjust seat angle, and it was perfect. That's the only weakness, but a Flite Titanium, drop weight. Oh yeah, those K2 (wellgo) pedals are TERRIBLE (worst part) Can't stay in the pedals and no positive engagement feel.

bottom line? It's a hell of a deal and a hell of a bike. K2 really did a great job of balancing parts and quality into this bike. What else can you ask for the price? Shocks feel great, frame is nicely welded and looks good. Great parts. No mixing of parts. Great, just GREAT! Plus you ACTUALLY get 99% of a whole parts groupo. Well, I'm not fond of the wheels, but they're strong and worked out for me till I replaced them a year later with sealed cartride disc wheels. As I said about the parts, you get a avid lever and brakes setup. matching. Shimano Deore shifters, deore front and rear deraileurs. matching. Rare to match front and rear. the cassette is an Alivio though, HG50, but looks sharp, decently weighed, shifts good and the bottom bracket is also Alivio I think. But that's the only square taper BEFORE reaching spline. You get the super light square taper TruVativ cranks, so they had to put in the alivio bottom bracket. I replaced mine with an old school XTR square sealed cartridge, last year of manufacturing. So the BB and crank set is now about 15-20 grams over the spline hollowtech XTR. Not bad for a 100 buck set up. Got my 5 flaming corpses for value, 4 smoldering dead dudes for overall. The seat hurts my ass, I gotta take one for my stupidity. But it looks good!

Similar Products Used: Specialized M2 S-works, Answer Ti spring (sucks!), SID SL, Schwinn homegrown hardtail.
Ben Garcia   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2001]
Strength:

Frame and Fork design are well above the cost of this bike.
I have found thru several other friends and riders that the
Noleen fork is comparible to some of the top of the line
after market forks.

Weinman Rims

The bike off of the showroom floor was very impressive. I
felt that the bike was the best bang for the buck buy I
could find. Although I have made several upgrades I feel
the component level when purchased was suffice it all worked
well together and never gave any problems. After the upgrades I now look forward to just hammering thru some of
the tuffer trails here in Hawaii with no doubt the frame and
fork setup beneath me will withstand all the riding I can
do. Off the floor this bike is a great buy for any intermediate level rider looking for a well put together
mountain bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper Comp
Chip B   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2000]
Strength:

FORKS!!!, Light Weight, Components

Wheels, Trashed the front already.

Excellent product for the beginner how wants qaulity without spending a load of money or for the intermediate rider how wants to move up to a better bike. The forks are great, I have not had a problems with them as of yet. The components are good however, I've had a problem getting the derailer set up like i like them.

Overall, I love the bike and it was money well spent!

Similar Products Used: None
David M   Cross Country Rider [Dec 06, 2000]
Strength:

Great frame, great shock, and great component selection. It has held up well minus the rear wheel. It got thrashed and had to be replaced. K2 was good about it they hooked me up with a xt disc ready hub.

None that I have found excepr for the rear hub. I bought a new stem and tires. The tires suck and the bar ends are too big. The seat is a little hard and bent one time i landed hard. The fork slipped from the crown an eighth of and inch but k2 is sending me a 2001 shock.

This is a great bike for the money. I ride about 50 miles a week and thrash it every time. I've fliped a couple times but the bike has remained intacked. I would recommend this bike for someone who is looking in to buying their second bike which is what mine was. The overall appeal of this bike is awesome. It has great components and is well built only a few upgrades like the tires, stem and wheels and this is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: None
Charles Phares   [Nov 18, 2000]
Strength:

*Great deal.
*Upgradeable to disc brakes.
*Comes with clipless pedals and a great fork.

*Deore shifters and derailers, *maybe*.
*Color: not a fan of red.
*Tires are a little slick for Pacific Northwest winter riding.

This bike is a great buy. I can't believe the deal I got: $450 on end-of-season clearance sale.

The shock is very nice, except for the need for the pump. Oh well. Some say that the Deore components are sub-par, we'll see. Clipless pedals work great, especially for somone who hasn't been riding them long. And I agree with others that the tires are a little slick.

I got a medium frame size, being 5-9. It feels a little small, but I think it fits fine. If you are any taller than I am, go with a large.

So far, I'm really happy with the bike. People that should consider this bike: anyone making the move from a fully rigid bike, or an off-brand bike. Also a good buy for ANYONE if you can get it for the price that I did.