K2 Bike 2000 Zed V Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST Gamma-EL, 3.0" travel fork

Timtothy Lansner   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2015]
Strength:

Frame, components

seat post, shocks

I've been riding this bike for the last 15 years.....and I've rode hard! The RST shocks were destroyed about 5 years ago, and they have always been terrible. The seat post is pretty bad as well, but I'm still riding the original. The frame has been absolutely bullet proof. I'm a bigger guy, 6'5 200lbs, and I love the feel of the heavy sturdy frame. So much so that I have trouble riding lighter more expensive Bikes. It climbs great, and offers added excitement trying to stay on during rocky downhills.

Kyle Robitaille   Downhiller [Jun 04, 2003]
Strength:

Strong frame and the forks what the hell they haven't broke yet.

Bottom bracket and the fork top out

This bike is great it takes all the beating given to it it's agood deal for how long it's lasted

Similar Products Used: none
paul   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2002]
Strength:

frame is very stiff-great for climbing. geomotry a plus.
And I like the charcoal grey!

rst fork, tektro brakes, and other crappy components.
also the bike shop guy kind of sucks!

this is a great entry level bike. if I knew then what I know now about the way I would ride it, I'd have put the 600+ dollars on upgrades twards a higher end bike. if it is for someone who does not do technical xc, or if you like to upgrade new and better parts (like i do:) zed is a good buy at the 500+ dollar range. if anything, I know how to rebuild a bike now.
for anyone buying a zed v- i would suggest changing the rst fork and get a stiff seat post. it really does make a world of difference.

Similar Products Used: first bike
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2000]
Strength:

Good frame if you like stiff; climbs well; truvativ crank is good value and shifters have been fine so far

RST shock is awful, get rid of it. Way too spongy, bottoms out easily. pedals need to be upgraded to clipless as soon as you can.

A decent starter bike that has lots of value for the money with a good basic frame. Don't buy it if you're going to get into some heavy riding quickly. Spend the extra $$$ and get a better all around package with a Trek, Specialized or Cannondale. By the time you spend the dough on the upgrades you need, you'll have spent as much as these bikes are stock anyway. The only absolute upgrade that has to be done is the RST shock. It's a disaster waiting to happen. The flexpost is unnecessary and could go with a lightweight carbon post when money allows. The rest of the upgrades are nice to do as your bank account allows.

Similar Products Used: 99 Trek 7000
Tim   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2000]
Strength:

The frame rulz,if you like stiff frames. Good geometry and overall just looks good.

The seatpost and forks. I've bottomed them out a lot!! STX-RC looks good but performance is weak.

I've put a lot into upgrading the components (most say too much) because I like the frame. It might seem too stiff for some but, I like the feel of it. The rigid frame gives a lot of feedback from the ride. I'm going to keep upgrading the bike til I get it the way I want it. Overall good bike. Great frame to add onto but, for the most part the components are lousy if you want to ride seriously. Buy it if you want a rigid frame with a bulletproof feel. If you don't want to blow a lot of money on upgrades at least buy a new fork so you don't kill yourself.

Dan McNutt   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2000]
Strength:

this bike is great for the money--it handels very well on technical stuff

FRONT SHOX!!! that is a huge!! weakness-it can be bottomed out way to easy(chec out my reivew on it the RST Gamma EL)
another real weaness are those tubes that come stock on the bike, i have gone through dozens of them they pop to easy, u have to get the drive train adjusted so it wors perfectly or the chain will fall off--

this bike is great u just have to get all of the bugs wors out of it--get that drive train adjusted perfectly!!real important one other thing that fropnt shox get a differnt one thats big--but this bike is great when u get it working at its fuull potential!!!!!!!well worth the money

Jerry Smith   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2000]
Strength:

Economy - A lot of bike for the money with little goodies like the suspension seat post that are only found on much more expensive bikes in this class. Much better than any cromoly bike I have ridden in this price range.

Chain rings seem to be paper thin. I haven't hit any logs with them yet but they don't look visibly strong. Shifts great so I'm not complaining. The color isn't very striking but then that might work to my advantage if someone is thinking about stealing it :-)

I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money on an upgrade after breaking the D-hanger on my old cromo Diamondback and this bike was one of the few on my wish list that met with my wife's (treasurer) approval. I'm a pretty big guy but the adjustable RST is leap years ahead of my old fork/frame and even though I come out of the pedals often I have plenty of stand over height due to the swept back frame geometry (another thing my wife likes about this bike) it also climbs like a banshee. If your a newby, casual dirt rider or just stingy with your money this is the bike for you. If you live to ride in the dirt and you won't even consider a front suspension from anyone but Answer or Rock Shock then you might want to look elswhere.

Similar Products Used: Several hardtails from Diamondback and Trek and Specialized.
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2000]
Strength:

The frame and all around geometry of the bike is very conducive both to climbing and to negotiating technical descents. I like the Truvativ cranks, very quiet. Did I mention the frame?

Tektro brakes are a little flimsy. RST fork is a bit lacking for a larger rider, tends to dive. The colours could be a wee bit more attractive to look at. What's up with the flexpost? That really needs to go, I don't enjoy the bounce factor during exuberant pedaling!

I bought the bike on a limited budget hoping that I could have fun on it and not severely bend the thing. I am rapidly becoming quite fond of it. It's definitely a-lot of fun and the more I ride it the more I realize that I ended up with a good bike for my money.