Jamis 2001 Dakota AL Hardtail Bike

The bloke from Planet of the Apes   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2001]
Strength:

Light, tough frame, great wheelset and drivetrain

sketchy tyres , needs a set of riser bars, wierd unadjustable fork

Great bike to step up to from entry level - has survived daily urban thrashings and 55k ripper downhill weekend frenzies. It flies......

Similar Products Used: Specialised Rockopper(s), Raleigh Grifter, girls Shopper, Schwinn Cruiser, Raleigh night Burner
Kevin Copeland   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

Overall great component mix. I love the Mars fork and even the Rockshox suspension seatpost. This bike climbs great and is very stable.

None really. I could have gotten the Daxota XC for $1100.00 off the same guy, but I'm glad I saved a few bucks and got the aluminum.

Great bank for the buck. And I got a super deal $900.00 way better than any of my local dealers. I debated the steel Dakota, but with the seatpost this bike rides great. Plus I don't have that whole rust thing to worry about. Five chilis for value (at $900) and 5 for overall. Jamis has really stepped up to bat on this one.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Moab 1 & 2, and Specialized Rockhopper Comp
Mark Westwood   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2001]
Strength:

Light (25.25 pounds), stiff, great fork and frame.

None really, the seat has steel rails, thats about it.

Its a great bike, i got mine on sale but I would have paid full price (around 1,000) for it. It climes great, decends pretty good, has a great fork (3 pounds and 80mm of travel Manitiou Mars air fork) and a pretty solid frame.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4500
Levin Diaz   Racer [Sep 01, 2002]
Strength:

best price/qualited components and frame relation

I think the deore casette sprockets, may it to deserve a Deore xt.

It's great, funny, may be is the better choice for a mediunm lavel competitors or a rocky racers whom be a lover of the presissions or for every racers like me, in veterans category or latest 40...

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhoper A1 Fs comp
Chris Harper   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2002]
Strength:

Nice parts spec for it's price range.

Paint is not very durable. Spring rate in stock fork is very light. 73.5* seat angle combined with non-offset seat clamp makes for a weight forward ride.

I've been riding this bike for just over a month and am very pleased with the purchase. I only post the review this early in case someone else is looking at a 2001 closeout like mine was.

I am surprised that Jamis would use the Mars fork with the lightest weight spring even on the larger frame sizes. I would guess that very few riders who fit into the 17" frame (not to mention the larger sizes) weigh less than 140 lbs. I traded up on site for a Marzocchi.

However, I really think this is a quality product and it was by far the best deal of any bike shop with 50 miles. Nice combination of singletrack handling with decent downhill stabilty. At least according to my short time with the bike.