Jamis 1999 Durango SX Hardtail Bike

1999 Jamis Durango SX, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 381R, 2.75" travel fork

John David   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2001]
Strength:

Quality, price

ugly orange forks, but who wants to steal an orange bike? The shifter is a push-pull type that seems unnecessarily complicated and will probably be the first thing to break.

This is my first "real" mountain bike and I love it. In fact, the last bike I rode was my Hutch Trickstar back in high school. I've never ridden any really expensive bikes so my review is probably really limited. I ride motorcycles and this bike steers the way a crotch-rocket does, quick and tight. The build-quality is GREAT. It feels like it will last forever. If this is an entry-level bike, I can't imagine how nice an upgraded bike will be like. And since I bought it for only 274 bucks, it makes it an even sweeter ride. The brakes are great. The second time I rode it I applied what I thought was moderate 50/50 pressure to the brakes and promptly flew over the handle bars. When you tell it to, this bike STOPS. Other than a cracked ego on my part, the bike came through without a scratch. The only upgrade I plan is a fully adjustable fork. I, obviously, won't need disc brakes. Who should buy this bike? A newby to mountain biking who wants a great, tough bike at a great price and who isn't worried about owning poseur cache. Who shouldn't? A newby to biking who has to have the most famous name on the block. I had never heard of Jamis before I saw this bike in the above listed shop but I'm glad I found it.

Similar Products Used: none, this is my first mountain bike
Mike Carpenter   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

Good looking. Solid frame. Pretty light. Excellent handleing. Good strong rims.

Not so good of a fork. Weak crank.

Stock, the Jamis Durango SX handles great, and is a good buy for the price. I recomend getting a new fork that has a little more travel if you want to get into some serious riding. Overal pretty nice bike. The bike is a great choice for beginners or pro riders.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Aquila, Big Sir, K2 Evo 3.0, Specialized FSR, Rock Hopper.
jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2000]
Strength:

light weight

cheap componentry, poor brakes, terrible fork

this in intended to be an enrty level bike but, other bikes at this price come better equipped. The RST fork was a joke. The bike handles poorly and limits your riding capability. It shifts slowly and it descends even worse. Out of the box, I think it sucks. If you added a better fork, brakes, better componentry, and a plusher seat, you'd have a descent bike, but by the time you spend all that extra money you could have bought a Fisher Kaitai or another quality bike. At the $500 price range, I'd go with a GT rebound or a Rockhopper. I don't recommend this bike to anyone, not even a rec rider on a budget, luckily you've got other options.

Similar Products Used: gt rebound, specialized rockhopper
Rex   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 1999]

I'm really poor and already look like a dork. This bike is great. I can beat it up at Santos over the weekend and then ride it to school during the week. It stays tight and smooth. Of course, if you're used to $1200 bikes (I'm not) it's probably not going to suit your needs. On the other hand, it's MUCH better than the dep't store bikes!

Drum Taylor   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 1999]
Strength:

Inexpensive, strong and agile. Great all purpose tires. No problems.

Mid-range componetry. Color choices were sort of weak.

This bike is a great deal for one who wants to sample the front suspension experience. Despite a semi-bad rep, the RST shocks hold up well under the pounding they endure under my 275lbs weight. I have not used it under combat conditions but this bike would likely be fine in any kind of terrain. This bike will help you get your feet wet without soaking you (hey thats pretty good!) Next year I may upgrade the components, or splurge and buy a '99 Jamis Dragon.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback, Trek, Cannondale.
Yo MAMA   Downhiller [Sep 08, 1999]
Strength:

UMMMMMM...........yaaaaaaaaa............It's real good..um.....thats it,
REAL GOOD

no, not on this bike, a flaw or weekness!
not on a 300 $ bike like this!

If you need a bike, and want to look like a dork.....get this bike. naw just a joke it's a real good bike, nice firm ride..........like a huffy.

Similar Products Used: Huffydbr x 10ventana m/pgt xcr 1000
Paul Heller   Cross-Country Rider [May 26, 1999]
Strength:

Light,agile, and perfect for trial, good setup like the threadless stem

Long handlebars and low component line for 500

Light and agile,the Durango puts out the great kind muneverablity you want,but a little bit to laid back for tuff stuff.Absolutly perfect for trials(did i mention that?)and good street rider.Havent seen it going any downhills yet but that will come as my friend gets used to his bike(he's a freestyler turned technical mountain biker).Handlebars are a little bit to wide for stock and the bike should be upgraded for best off road performance,but it is also good stock.Having a small frame is cool cause it make it lighter.It is worth about a 4.5 but Im gonna give it a 5 just for giggles.

Similar Products Used: GT Pantera,Raleigh M80,Giant Warp DS1 and Rincon SE 98 model.
Peter   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2001]
Strength:

Very comfortable. Looks good and shifts very surely and smooth.

The quality of the shocks is poor for the money spent.

This is a wonderful bike for riding to a trail that is not overly tough. It seems like a good alround bike at a reasonable cost. I have a dual for harder rides, but everyone should have at least two bikes, and this is a great one to have for 'general' purpose.
If you are just starting out, and are looking for a solid ride, this will do the job.
My son rides a $1000.00 schwinn, and I prefer this!
One hint...Shed the pedals..go clipless