Iron Horse 1999 ARS 4.0 Mens Hardtail Bike

1999 ARS 4.0 Mens

1999 Iron Horse ARS 4.0 Mens, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder, 2.75" travel fork

N D   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2000]
Strength:

ALL AROUND GOOD BIKE, GOOD FOR DOWNHILLS, HANDLES FINE, AND I HAVE TO SAY IT CLIMBS BETTER THAN I EXPECTED, EVEN WITH THE 30T COG.

WEAK FRAME(SLIGHT TWIST IN REAR TRI JUMPING 2'), GRIPSHIFT, WEAK CHAIN(SHIMANO IG)

THE BIKE SPEAKS FOR ITSELF:YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. IF YOU WANT A DECENT RIDE, THAT HAS AVERAGE EVERYTHING(EXCEPT CLIMBING ABILITY), THIS IS THE BIKE. I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE TRASHED THIS BIKE, AND WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE REAR TRI, THE BIKE HAS HELD TOGETHER FAIRLY WELL. A GOOD BEGINNER FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTING TO RIDE.

Similar Products Used: GRIZZLY(OLD SCHOOL), DIAMOND BACK
eric   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2000]
Strength:

good frame, good price, SRAM 7.0/5.0, good looks

a little harsh, but it's aluminum so i guess it's not that bad.

excellent bike for the money
can't go wrong, and i even got mine on sale

Similar Products Used: specialized rockhopper
Jim   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 06, 1999]
Strength:

The bike is solid every where! I have bailed hard about 3 -4 times and no machanical problems.

The saddle is like riding on a block of wood and the rattle trap pedals have to go.

For the money this bike is rock solid the 2 weaknesses I mentioned are both fixed easily after you buy the bike. The bike climbs well and seems to float down decents. It is very stable even when you are not. It even looks prety cool with the A frame design. Overall this is the best bike I tested for the money and it seems to be nuke proof.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Kaitai, K2 Zed V,Marin Nail Trail,Specialized Rockhopper
john   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2001]
Strength:

looks, a-frame, love the color and price

Seat,hard as hell, pedals, wheels and front derailer.

Good bike and price for beginers or the casual rider.
If you are wanting a bike for anything more than that look elsewere or a better model like the 9.0

Bojan Trabonjaca   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2002]
Strength:

Rock solid, confidence inspiring and great value bike

The front derailleur doesn't shift perfectly and the wheels on my thing are just hangin on for dear life (soon to be replaced). Considering its price and that bike was second hand Im not fussed about those.

This bike marks my initiation into the world of modern MTB and as such a sensitive task it has performed it absolutely great so far. The front shifter needs double push on the lever to change up, but it still changes so I dont care. Rear shifter needs a bit of adjusting tension every once in a while, but even at worst is very reliable. My wheels have also pretty much had it, and I'll be getting some Mavic x517 soon. Considering that this is an entry level second hand bike those few faults are understandable.

On the good side the bike is very light and so easy to ride. The frame appears beefy, which is good because it gives solid appearance, as if you could throw it off of a cliff and ride it home, yet it is exceptionally light. I have had my first XC race on it few weeks ago as well as all the riding I do and it has held up with flying colors and even asked for more. Pretty soon some clipless pedals are going on, and as soon as new wheels arrive I'll be all set. All this given that it was really cheap, I really dont see how I could describe it as anything less then ecceptional value for money bike. I've also had a look at the current Iron Horse range and their site, and I think that unless there is a sudden change in the build quality I'll be hard pressed not to get another Iron Horse when the upgrade time comes around. Thats how impressed I am with my thing.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Trek 4300
Stu   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is incrdedibly strong, you could let an atom bomb off below it and it wouldnt even crack the paint. The bike is the lightest thing i have ever seen at the price, 24lb for the full thing. The frame inspires confidence and quickly allows a rider to improve. Excellent value for money.

The groupset which came as standard was all SRAM stuff, which has since been upgraded to XT, the wheels have also been upgraded to Mavic X517s.

The frame is excellent, well gusseted below the down tube, and is exceptionaly light, but yet has amazing strength. This provides a good base on which to upgrade and has the potential to make an even better bike, I got mine weighing under 22lbs.

TIP TOP TYRONE