GT 1999 Zaskar Hardtail Bike

1999 GT Zaskar LE, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC fork

Son Rising   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2017]
Strength:

Durability, shifting, speed and agility! The ball-burnished aluminum finish is gorgeous, unbeatable. My Zaskar was built in May 1998 and I got bought it new in 1999...it's the year 2017 now. woah

It's not a rigid bike! What? There is nothing wrong with the front suspension, but I feel that front suspension in general is over-rated.

My bike is now 19+ years old and all-original minus the tires, brake pads, saddle and pedals. I thought about selling it, but then decided I cannot. It still rides like new! I tore the headset apart for the first time yesterday...did I mention it's 2017 now? The Marzocchi Atom Bomber Z.2 front is still fully functional, never a leak and has never been serviced, so I got a seal kit this week just in case. I plan to change over to a rigid steel fork and will use same crown race in case I want to swap out from time to time. I'm plan to tuck the old Bomber away with it's new seal kit and ride rigid like the good old days have never left, old school.

I notice that Blue Book thinks it's worth just $300. They're out of their minds. They also have incorrect specs on the build, btw. I admired this bike and it's siblings for a while and decided on the 19", worked for the cash and bought it for $1671. That was a crap-load of money to me then! It's still a crap-load of money to me! But damn...I never expected 20 years out of it. Come May of next year 2018 I'll throw it a birthday party.

Marcel Vautour   Racer [Jul 22, 1999]
Strength:

Light, stiff and super handling machine...

American colors, sorry guys I am Canadian...

GT top of the line bike... Why settle with the rest when you can get the best???
Happy Trails from Canada...

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche, F3000,...
Jecke   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

Great bike that handels wery well, nice design and alot of fun and extremly fast

I little bit on the heavy side in this price range

I bought this bike to start serious raceing and so far it lives up to my exeptations

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F3000
manolo   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2000]
Strength:

Precise Steering, fast handling, lightweight, beautiful, stiff, great paint job, great climbing & downhill, singletrail killer

? Not really found something besides the price...
(German resale: $ 4000 !!!)

It's my dream Hardtail. No better thing for singletrail-surfing: precise handling, lightweight, stiff. Reliable on fast tracks (top speed so far: 58mph) and sweet on technical trails. Soon to be upgraded with a Crossmax UST wheelset.
The guys mostly see it from behind on the track...
Besides all that it's the most beautiful hardtail on this planet !
Love it or leave it ! I would never buy any other hardtail than a Zaskar.

P.S.: Hard to believe how someone can break this frame. Even Hans Rey did not break one in some years of trialin' !

Similar Products Used: '98 GT Zaskar, Rocky Mountain Stratos, Rocky Mountain Altitude
Jon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2000]
Strength:

Relatively light, quite stiff and that unmistakeable beutiful triple triangle hand made frame. Cosmic Sunrise paint job is a show stopper.

The ridiculous heinous squeal emitted for the Shimano XT front brake. What is a LX cassette doing on this bike?

This Bike hauls uphills like a hungry dog late for dinner. GT hit the mark with this bike because its strong enough to hurl off a mountain side or light enough to race. The geometry is neutral for most everyone. I recommend this bike to anyone looking for a XC weapon.

Similar Products Used: Avalanche LE, Norco
Martin Piskozub   Racer [Mar 02, 2001]
Strength:

Very strong frame and its light! I weight 200 lbs and have been racing on this bike for over a year and didn't manage to break it!

Well, the bike is very stiff, so I had to put a Moxey suspension seatpost on it...other than that none!

This bike rocks! It's very fast and climbs like a mountain goat! Once you set it up right, you'll love it! The only thing left to complain will be your endurance!
I would recomend this bike for XC racers and all for all around hardcore riders who expect reliability! This bike is tough! Buy it and have fun!

jim potts   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2001]
Strength:

very light (20 lbs) with the gear i had supplied, tough, RAPID, and great fun!!

expensive to purchase Especially here in "blighty"

This bike rocks!!! its faster than a rat up a drainpipe,and makes you immediately race all your mates at every oportunity. twitchy handling when on tight single track makes this bike a blast, and a hill munching monster of a machine. this bike is for anyone who is serious about going Very Very FAST!!! if you can break one, your doing better than me, or is that you should learn the basics of riding(ie not hitting trees at 40 mph)

Chris Russell   [Jan 10, 2001]
Strength:

Climbs well
Frame available in ball burnished
Reasonably light

No disc brake bosses
LX BB and Cassette (upgraded to XTR and XT)
Rear brake cable holder causes cable friction

A very good bike. Great for eating up singletrack. Very responsive. Very stiff rear end (takes a little getting used to, tough on the lower back). Got rid of the SID and put an Atom Bomb on... well worth the extra weight. Mavic wheels very strong, only one problem with them, spokes have a tendancy to work themselves loose. The frame has stood up to 2+ years of year round riding. Many crashes and only a couple dents on the top tube. A good all around bike.

Similar Products Used: GT Karakoram
Trek 8500
TBL Eldorado
Craig   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2001]
Strength:

Light and it handles well. Great climber.

BB creak, rear brake cable mounting

I've ridden this bike for 5 years and through 2 different front forks. My only complaint is the rear brake cable mount. The cable mounts welded to the frame are too small for the ferrule on the end of the brake cable. It has to be crushed to fit in there and this causes drag. GT has probably changed this since '95, but it's a pain. Otherwise, great bike!