GT 1999 Timberline Hardtail Bike

GT 1999 Timberline Hardtail Bike

1999 GT Timberline, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett C, 1.8" travel fork

[May 04, 2010]
harverto

Strength:

I've had this bike for ten years now and the only thing that went wrong was the crank.
The paint is hard as nails.

The Jett's are a bit poo!
The crank, Tippical crank creak in the first few weeks
Seat post sticking in the frame (it's a real pain in the arse and takes a lot of force to get it out)

If all bikes could last so well oveer ten years.
I gave this bike hell for the first 6 years and it just keep's on going.

Only thing to do with this bike is keep the seat post lubed up. it took 4 men a 5ft scafold bar a large spanner a very large rubber hammer and a can of releasing fluid!
Its not a easy job!

It was that long ago i couldn't tell you.

[Jan 07, 2002]
Thomas Jupe

Strength:

AMMMMAAAAAAZING!!! Very strong trust worthy bike that has never failed even all the transmition stuffs

on the heavy side but still rides lightly

An amazing bike has been hammered to death by the worlds most crashable rider (me) and still lived it died last weekend after spending 3 hours With vice lump hammer saw and chisle and plumbing wrench trying to remoove stuck seattube and frame didn't dostort or bend despite rough pulling in a vice and only died as I attacked it with a chistel and lump hammmer for a further 30 min and the chistle went through the 3 year old frame instead of the seat tube OOPS!!! and invinceable frame that u can pick up cheep and will last you a life time.

ummmmm none Its too good to trade!!

[Apr 13, 2003]
dorsey land

Strength:

strong, responsive, tough

none to mention

I'm abusive with shoes, clothes, and recreational items because I don't worry if it can take the rough treatment; this bike asks for more. I prefer riding at night with proper lighting, I also prefer riding on side walks because of the poor condition of the concrete requires very fast response, also I jump at paylots that are empty at night.This bike is about 25 lb.s, but it is stronger-integrally-than titanium, good tough steel, not aluminum. I'm happy. I can ride 4 hours and have to make myself stop so I can rest for the next work day.

huffy and specialized

[Oct 20, 2001]
Jim Winton

Strength:

Bullet-proof wheels (Zac 19's), strong frame

Weight, components easily bent, poor fork but got the shop to up-grade before buying to RST Gamma TL's with better travel. Funny tube sizes (seat-post etc.), dreadful original pedals.

I'd had a cheap Giant before which I'd worn out before a friendly local did me the favour of stealing it! Did some home-work and tried to stick to a minimal budget by buying 'last year's' ('99) model. Felt like a real MTB following the Giant and immediately inspired confidence. Rear mech bent quickly and everthing else got sloppy so got a cheap up-grade (Deore) kit from Merlin shaving off over 3lbs - mostly from the wheels. It now accelerates and climbs great. Still trying to lose some more weight which is probably a false economy as it's cheaper to buy a newer bike but I like the set-up and feel plus the forks and frame seem to be unbreakable. On rides with my mates I appear to do better coming in less fatigued although descents are slow at the moment following a bad fall early summer this year. I'm sure it's the bike that should take the credit. Still trying to decide what seat-post and bars to fit at the OE kit is heavy. New Panaracers are much stickier but not as strong as the original WTB Velociraptprs. Deore kit slicker than old Alivio/Acera kit. Still trying to sharpen the brakes. If anyone out there has any suggestions as to how to improve the bike let me know. I could write more but off out on the bike.

Giant Boulder

[Jul 14, 2001]
Massimo

Strength:

the "body" of the bike and the v-brake who's excellent for cross-country

rock shok suspension doen't do the job

for someone who doesn't have the chance to do a lot of mountain bike it's a really good choice. It's not really heavy, it's easy to deal whit and learn how to use it.

the price is really good and is got a lot of resistence.

[Dec 27, 2000]
MaryLouise

Strength:

Smooth ride, sturdy frame & very good paint job.

This bike is way way way too heavy for it to cost this MUCH. Cheap components.

Well, I wouldnt buy this bike again if given a chance. I paid CDN $799 for this bike, I wouldnt mind paying a few hundred more to get a better bike with better components & weights lighter. Anyway, I only got to use this bike for roughly 6 months before it got stolen. I bought a 99 FSR Comp, to replaced the Timerline, & I'm totatlly in love with my current bike. Hmm, my 99 Timerline, looks different from the picture above, mine is a green frame without the curvy top tube. This bike is only good for entry level bikers with low budget & wouldnt mind the heavy weight.

[Apr 04, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

A great buy all those years ago-97 model. Rode stock standard for a while.

A weird seat stem for my size, head stem set u/s from new, front bar geometry a little too far forward (a bit daunting on some DH) Shimano brake pads way too hard for rims (Burnt rims!) all the plastic stuff fell off on first rock trip, outside crank sprocket unusable after first trip.

Great Bike! love it and will continue to use frame as it has been absolutely thrashed and hacked on tough rock trail/semi DH. Climbs really well even with my 98kg mass.

Giant, Cannondale, Mongoose

[Mar 20, 2001]
christopher

Strength:

the frame on this bike is solid! i havn't broke it, yet! nice paint job, good wheels (zac 19) great to handle. feels sure-footed at speed. good rapid fire plus shifters, which are quick to change good build quality. will last ages

rock shox jett c forks could be better. no other problems to date

great, the weight isn't a problem, you can climb easily in it, and will develop you're strength as a rider, great to control, when forks are changed, and gt85 is put on the rims the brakes bite a lot more! good for anyone who wants a well built bike, fun to ride, but something you can go and race as well. i'd easily buy another gt.

i work in a bike shop!

[Jun 09, 2001]
Bernie

Strength:

Tires, Frame

Bars, stem, cranks, mech hanger, forks(?)

A great beginners bike, as long as you keep it running smooth. It was my first proper bike so i diddnt understand the maintenance it really needed and bits started to fall off but this is entirely my own fault. I also had probs with the rear mech sticking in the spokes and bending the dropout. This happened three times and had to be heated and bent back again everytime. Oh, and i bent the forks, but only through mucho abuso. Get a smaller size than u think u need though, my 16 was more like an 18.

[May 10, 2000]
Phil

Strength:

Good strong frame, comfortable ride. Great value for money.
Takes a bashing and comes out on top.

Groupset is a bit dodgy, cheap components wear out quick.

This is a good strong piece of kit with a decent feel for a bike in the sub £500 range. Although GT have skimped on a few of the components, things are easy (and cheap) to replace when they wear out. You get plenty of bang for your buck at this price mark.

Scott Tampico, Carrera Maxima