GT 1999 Ricochet Hardtail Bike

1999 GT Ricochet, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett XC, 2.4" travel fork

Damien Bachman   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2015]
Strength:

This bike is just SOLID. Indestructible frame. I am 235lbs and i have yet to put this bike trough its paces. I have been riding GT bikes sense 1990 an i am 25 now. BEAUTIFUL bike. The ride is smooth and comfortable even at high speeds.
Overall I Love This and all GT bikes

The only problem i have with this bike is i am finding my self a little forward heavy, an the stock seat is uncomfortable on long hard ridres.

This bike will carry me on for years to come. <3 <3 <3

RJ   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2002]
Strength:

This is a fair entry level bike. It is resonably sturdy.

the GT triple Triangle frame is not ideal for riders with long torsos and arms. The top tube is just too short. The geometry did not work for me.

I learned a lot about mountain biking through this bike. My skill level changed dramatically since I first bought the bike. I learned about bike fit and body geometry and my need for lighter weight, better components made this bike obsolete for me. If your a big person, think twice before buying this bike because it wont fit you, your back will ache on long rides and you wont work as efficiently as you could. That is the bottom line, regardless of the fact that you can easily out grow this bike.

Similar Products Used: This was my first mountain bike.
Dan Sanderson   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Everything

Grips, Paint desintergrating on forks.

A superb bike. A few pushes on the pedals and this machine really flies. It can take everything me and my friends can through at it and possibly an awful lot more. Fast in all conditions, and especially fun through the mud. Easy to ride at speed, and controlable while in the air (you can't resist using every jump.) I will ride this bike until it pysically falls apart. Awesome fun, awesome bike.

Similar Products Used: Dawes Watoga
Mitcher   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2000]
Strength:

Price, excellent components for the price. Nice color and great crotch clearance on the Anatomica frame (I'm a chick). Low weight for the price. GT was smart to customize the handlebar and lever sizes for the 15 inch bike

The grips are not very durable and the Jett XC is not the greatest front fork. Already have a SID to replace it (not the greatest fork either, but okay for me since I'm 118 lbs.)

Great bike for beginners that will eventually take MTBing seriously. If needed, the frame is race ready with some component upgrades (fork, rims, tires, seatpost, seat, and stem).

Similar Products Used: This was my first MTB bike ever, my husband bought it for me for my birthday.
Fieldtrip   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2000]
Strength:

Ze Frame, Boss! Ze Frame!!! It may be tank-like in weight, but this is THE aluminum hard frame. It will outlive you. Blood washes off easily.

The Indy C is basically a solid fork. The components... be prepared for a complete upgrade within 2 years. You can really tell how GT made their money here.

HERE'S THE SECRET NINTENDO CODES ON HOW TO BUILD THE ULTIMATE HARDTAIL!!! All the Rico's are either used or closeouts by now, so get yourself a deal, strip everything stock off (the Mavic's arent THAT bad...), Get a kick ass fork (see above) put it through a sealed bearing headset, shorten the stem (I use a cube), get DH bars. Get a BIG crankset (46,46,46!!!), gut the stock bracket, hook up good peds, and this thing turns into a straight ROCKET!!! Emphasis on the crank-- this is sooo overlooked. I take up downhills reserved for full sus bikes, I won't lie-- it WILL rattle your fillings, but you will blur your way into the land of wind and ghosts. This was my first serious bike... it may be a long time before another. Oh yeah, the metallic orange makes the girls look twice. Or maybe it's just my green hair.

Similar Products Used: Countless big retail bikes. Rode just about every other hardtail in existence.
Rick Pichie   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

KILLER BLUE COLOR
GT...GT...GT...Need I say more
Awesome bike all around
Great construction all-around.
Again,Killer blue paint!

Did I mention GT!!!!! None that I have found. YET!!
GT kicks ASS.

Bottom Line?
This is the best bike I have ever rode.Smooth shifting,great climbing ability,light for the price!!
A great all-around bike.
Oh, and did I mention GT!
This is the first serious bike I have ever bought and I am very,very,very impressed with it.
It is going to be very hard to convince me not to buy another GT bike.
GT KICKS ASS....
Nuff said
A great bike for someone starting out or for the more advanced rider as there are many upgrade options available to make this machine even more deadly.

Long live GT!

Similar Products Used: None. I went straight for GT. Need I say more!
Ryan Sickles   Racer [Aug 23, 2000]
Strength:

Great Strong frame & Ligter than 4lbs.
The frame & BB only, that I purchased from my Authorized Dealer, is different than as shown in the Picture above. Mine looks like a standard, GT Triple Triangle.
Once I got the frame & BB only, then i upgraded it serverly, to make the most of it.

Since I don't have bottom of the line stuff on, theres none that I've found.

I have thrased this bike around for abut 3months now, and have found no weaknesses in the frame.
Everytime I go for a light spin on the trail, this thing always has me hammering threw the trail.
The structual integraty of the frame is great! Although I wish GT could have welded below the rear triangle brace that fits up against the seatpost tube.
Lateral stability is scary! This thing isnt afraid to be hammered into corners, taken of drops, or shot out of a berm!

If your a serious rider that wants a great bike, and is willing to modify it. This is for you.

If your a brand hore, and dont want to be seen in a pair of Nashbar shorts, or with LX entry level parts. This isn't for you.

Similar Products Used: Other GT Triple Triangle frames.
Tra   Racer [Jun 16, 2000]
Strength:

Strong frame, very durable and can take a beating. A good entry level bike. It has withstood 1999 & 2000 24 Hours of Canaan & Snowshoe and a couple of local races.

Bottom of the line components---Shimano STX and a cheap Rock Shox Indy C. You will want to upgrade it and end up spending another $400 - $500. Buy a bike with good components already on the bike...its cheaper in the long run.

A very good beginner-intermediate bike. Mine has lasted thru three years of pure abuse. The bike is solid and should only require routine tune-ups and probably brake pads. I bought this bike when I didnt really know much about componentry. I should have bought a bike with at least XT components and definately a better front shock..at least a Judy XC.

Overall, I ride it hard, have given it hell, and have had no problems except for normal drivetrain wear and tear.

I give the beast of a bike 5 flamin' turds for value and 4 for overall.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000
Brett   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2000]
Strength:

I can only comment on the frame, nothing else is stock. But as for the frame, it's tight. you can't beat the finish(brushed Al) and there's absolutely no flex. this is the same frame used up to the Zaskars, but I don't recommend a 6061 frame. a couple of my friends have Zaskars and i can feel them flex compared to my baby. just a great frame.

i guess the stock components suck, guess i was lucky just getting the frame.

Sweet frame, no complaints

Similar Products Used: GT Rebound, Zaskars, Cherry Bomb, Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Adan Felix   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

The LX componets!! Avid brakes. The GT name!!! Can't beat it with other bikes at the same price!!!!!!!!

The Rock Shock JETT

This is a excellent bike for the price of $599. Also the bike seems lighter then 28 pounds. I have added a SID XC so the weight will go down. The bike is well rounded bike from the handlebars to the tires. Needs a little touch ups to upgrade but it is ready for the trails. You can't find a bike this inexpensive and just have to change out the front shock. I give it five flamin' of TURDS!! For this bike is ready for a real rider after it is bought!!
Something that helps me keep Pedaling is below!

At first I saw God as an observer, a judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so He could determine whether I would merit heaven or hell. He was sort of like the President, I recognized his picture, but I really didn't know him. Later when I met Christ personally, it was as if life were more like a bike ride, a tamdem bike, and Christ was in the back helping me pedal. I don't know when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has never been the same since. When I had control I knew the way. It was somewhat boring, but it as predictable. It was alwyas the shortest distance between two points. When He (Christ) took the lead, He knew delightful long-cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds. It was all I could do just to hang on. Even tough it looked like madness, He said, "Just pedal." I was worried and anxious. Where are you taking me? He laughed and didn't answer.
That's when I learned I was going to have to trust Him.
I began to forget my boring life and entered into every adventure. When I said I'm scared, He would lean back and just touch my hand. He took me to people with gifts that I
needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. He gave me gifts to take on my journey, and off we were again. Then He told me to give my gifts away, they were extra baggage, too
much weight. The journey continued and our burden was lighter. I must admit I didn't trust Him at first to take control of my life. I thought He would wreck it. But I found He knew bike secrets. He knew how to make sharp corners and how to jump and clear rocks. He knew how to do things I could never have done if I were in control. I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places. I am beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful companion, Jesus Christ. And when I'm not sure I can continue, He just smiles and says, "Just pedal."
(From Dirt Rag magazine - by Mrs. Allyne Terry of Lannett, AL.)