Giant 2001 XTC SE 1 Hardtail Bike

Sophy Christian Bun   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

This bike is super strong and super light. Iam a BMX by heart and this was a great intoduction to mountain biking.

The front shock could be better and did not like the deore/xt combo the the derailler. i also had some creeking with the crank, but over all the bike is great

the bike is super strong and great for any xtreme cycos out there.

Similar Products Used: first mtb
Casey   Racer [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

Stiff, light weight, it was free.

I worry about denting the frame. It is a Giant

Very light weight and stiff frame. Rides really well and tracks nicely. Frames are measured big, 21" frame is really 19". I am only riding the bike because I won the frame in a raffle. I wouldn't have actually purchased this bike, I was riding a K2 razorback before and I'm purchasing a new one again this year.

Similar Products Used: All of my other bikes
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Feb 02, 2002]
Strength:

Frame, rear deraileur, mavic rims

Seat, front deraileur

I've enjoyed the bike so far. The bike shop, "Chain Reaction" upgraded my chain on the spot. Frame is nice and light. Total weight is good, but may improve after Judy C forks are upgraded. Front derailleur is a gonna go first though. The shop that sold me the bike hooked me up with some nice extras and have made the whole purchase worth it based on price, product, and support. Great bike for the money. Bike will not "need" upgrades anytime soon, but a couple changes will make this bike top notch. I looked at Trek, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher before I decided on the Giant XTC SE2, based on weight, frame quality, and stock components.

Similar Products Used: None
GS   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2001]
Strength:

This is for the 2002 Model. Price versus components is great, RaceFace Cranks and rings, XT rear derailler, Titec cockpit...and the fork is AWESOME! The whole bike is black...and just plain looks evil! Gotta love it.

Well, not crazy about a Delore front derailler, and the tires...well..Giant was going for lightweight with Hutchinson Mosquitos.

I couldn't find a line for the 2002's so I stuck it here. I had a Kona, and was looking for better bike. When I priced this bike and what was on it, and then matched that against what other bikes were with similar components, this was about a $400.00 to $600.00 savings. I looked at the SE1 (top hardtail model) and decided against it. There are some differences, but the money is the SID fork and tubeless tires on the SE1, and frankly, have see too many people with tubeless setups that end up sticking tubes in them anyway. Besides, both the SE1 and the SE2 use the exact same frame. Save the $600.00 bucks and get the SE2.

The big surprise was the fork on this bike. Giant must read these things, because putting the RockShox Duke XC on this was a great move. I was thinking of putting a SID on until I rode the Duke. Not going to worry about it now. I did toss the tires and the front derailler. I think Giant could charge another 25 bucks and put an XT on the front end. Everything else is fine. Sure, as things wear out I am going to put on upgrades to the cassette, etc., but what comes on it is awesome for the price!

The frame is definately stiff, and climbs well, tracks well, and corners wonderfully. The rims (Mavic 221) are not designed for doing dropoff and downhilling. The bike is definately a XC bike. If your wanting to do serious drops and downhilling, either be prepared to upgrade the rims quickly, or look at getting a bike that was designed for that kind of riding.

Bottom line - For the money, you won't touch this bike with another kind. It looks evil, it rides stiff and the components are better than anything you will find on a bike at a $1000.00 from anyone else. If you're doing XC or the like, I think you can't really do better than this!

Similar Products Used: Kona, Navarro (REI)
Braxton Berrrett   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2001]
Strength:

frame,crankes"raceface prodigy", Titec"stem & bar"

Not a real fan of the judy c, and the crappy seat post

It is a really good bike for the money. really strong but light frame,it could use a few upgrades, but over all its a great bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper
ZAC COURTNEY   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

most everything it is extremely light and very good components an amazing step up from my last bike

it is a fair wheather bike it is not good to ride in rain or wet wheather

i am very happy with this bike if u are want a light cross country bike this is the bike for u

Similar Products Used: schwinn mesa gs
andrew   Racer [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

weight for price, 2.9lb frame parts spec

fork

great bike for the price, the koski seat sucks. the frame kick a$$ at 2.9lb, light frame made. if you need a light bike, 25.11 stock, and dont want to have a second morgage, buy this bike. its light enought to race stock and is disc ready. the parts i put on i got from a coach of mine that raced for schwinn, now unsponcered. this bike handels well on the trail, lean into a turn, spring like a mad fool and et behing the seat on a downhill. i think i will put an lx rear dilrailuer on because its lighter the the xtr and some xt shirters because the are lighter the xtr as well. i give this bike 5 flamin' roadies

Similar Products Used: c'dale f700 schwinn homegrown factory team
Lee Poole   Racer [Jul 10, 2001]
Strength:

Great geometry, light, fast, and handles great

awesome upgrade from the rainier frame, thanks to giant's great service!! and some help from downwind sports.

Similar Products Used: Giant rainier, broke the disc mount on the frame, and the factory gave me a new xtc se1 frame as my warranty frame.
Scott Stallard   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2001]
Strength:

Everything, except the XT/ Deore junk.

None, except---- see above.

I replaced the Shimano junk with SRAM 9.0 ESP rear der. and halfpipe shifters. This was something I did with my 1999 SE-1 and what a differnce in performance. I still cant explaine why GIANT continues to put this crap on such a GREAT bike. My bike dealer traded me even. (Shimano for Sram). This bike is another GIANT success. I dont know how they can sell this bike at this price. Go to their Web Site and get the component package info. Its absolutely incredible what you get with this Bike.There is not a Bike manufacturer out there that can match this deal. Lately, whenever a Bike magazine tests certain GIANT products, someone will make the same statement,'How Does Giant Do That' Im starting to wonder myself. If you want a high end mountain bike, with great components, and a GREAT PRICE, buy it now.

Similar Products Used: 1999 SE-1, 2000 GIANT MCM Team
Jeff Kuyava   Racer [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

This frame is much stiffer than in the past two years. The down tube cannot be flexed like the 1999 and 2000 frames. The chain stays are "S" bent for better shoe clearance.

The frames are smaller this year. The largest is a 21". I had to get a longer stem to not seem so cramped. The bearings on the head set are not the strongest. I blew the bottom head set bearing on a slow endo. If you have the crown fork race that is the same size as the head tube call Cane Creek. They will send you an up-grade bearing kit for free.

So far this frame seems to be of a much better quality, and is stiffer than in past years. I cracked my 1999 Se2 frame. I think the new geometry lends itself to better climbing and better over all control. The intergrated head set is nice, but so far I can see no real advantages with it. All in all it is a really nice bike. I just hope it lasts longer than 10 months like my last frame. My only real complaint is the smaller size.