Giant 2001 Iguana SE Hardtail Bike

Michael   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2003]
Strength:

Great beginner mountain bike, decent price for o.k components. Deeore derailure is pretty good. Overall solid structure

Fork, the Rock Shock Judy TT isn't very good. Has no adjustments to it, preload, lockout, rebound, none of it.

It's a very good beginner bike for my first few years, but if you drastically improve very fast, this bike is not for you, for 200 more bucks you can get something alot better. It was fine for me for 2 years, but I just had to let go. It is very dependable, I have friends with Deeore LX deraileurs and they've had many problems. The regualr deeore might not be the best put it sure is dependable. I am currently 16 years old, and it served me well as a beginner. If you plan to improve alot, i'd suggest upgrade to a better hardtail, but if you want to take cross country riding easy, i would very much reccomend this bike.

Similar Products Used: My new bike is a full suspension but I have tried the boulder SE
Glen Man   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

It's been said in every review so far but the catch with this bike is that it is an incredible value! The shifters along with rear derailleur and cogs work well enough for competition. It's light and strong for the price. Looks great. Good stock seat.

Again, everyone has said it but the cranks and front derailleur are considerably less then competition performance (ok, they kind of suck). The upright seating position makes it a bit more effort to keep the front wheel on the ground during steep climbs.

I have to give this bike full marks. I've entered the sport as a novice and found that my bike was able to allow me to grow. By now I ride well and find this bike will take me much farther. I did a lot of study before buying the bike and found it to be the best buy for under a $1000 Canadian. Now my passion for the sport runs high and I've studied and ridden the spectrum of bikes it competes with and again, I find that nothing can touch this bike.

Some may disagree but I like the seat more then seats that are worth 5x as much. After countless kilometers it's never made me sore.

I plan on changing the front derailleur to Deore to match my crank upgrade to complete the Deore component drivetrain. After all my upgrades are done, the bike has still only cost $1000 Canadian (about $650 US) and the bike competes with others worth $250 US more.

The upright position is apparently better on the 2002, but I still feel comfortable with the 25 degree stem. In fact, while on the road it's actually kind of nice.

This is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: All the under $1000 bikes.
Duane   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

This is my second Mt. Bike, my first was a school commuter.
I rode several bikes in this price range and found that this one fit me the best. This bike can take a pounding and keep going.

Components are a good value, but need upgrading. Will do for now. Don't like the seat and plan on replacing it soon.

Awesome bike. Can take what you dish out and keeps going.

Similar Products Used: Giant Ranier, Specialized Hardrock
Craig Fulton   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2001]
Strength:

Good Solid Frame, Excellent components (except Fr. derailleur), great value, rides well in city and cross-country.

The front derailleur (Alivo) needs to be upgraded and If you want to do more cross country a wider tire would be good. And ditch the current pedals for clipless ones if you want (I did).

Awsome bike for the cash, well built, and rides well anywhere. I would bike this bike again.

Similar Products Used: The only thing I'd ever ridden until this bike was Raleigh. Last one was the Serenghetti.
Dingo Dan   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2001]
Strength:

Giant is really cool about waranting the bike. Ride Giant!!
Ive broken the frame many times, and giant gives me a new frame, no questions asked!!!. great value!

crappy components, yet the value makes up for it

Giant is the best bike company by far because their stuff is cheap, works well, and Giant is willing to replace a frame and renew a warranty.

Bill W.   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

Judy TT front suspension fork, great rear derailleur, light and durable frame, strong rims, great shifters

front derailleur is fickle

This bike represents the perfect mix of value and performance for my skill level. I'm a beginning mtb'er, and was looking for a bike that I wouldn't outgrow in a few months. Advanced riders may feel restricted by the bikes features, and upgrades would be a must. For me, the Yukon had the best collection of components for the price, and I felt very comfortable and in control during my test rides. I ultimately chose this over the Trek 4900 as it was $70 less from my local store. I've ridden everything from paved trails to challenging singletracks, and the bike hasn't given me any problems. This is a great bike to introduce yourself to the sport, so buy it!

Similar Products Used: Trek 4900, Gary Fisher Marlin, Giant Yukon SE, similar priced bikes from HKS, Specialized Rockhopper, and Kona
Gavin Doolan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 28, 2001]
Strength:

Drive train, the frame, and the saddle is surprisingly comfy.

The original brake set, and the original Acera hubs.

I use the bike mainly for commuting. For this the bike is perfect. My upgrades obviously make it a bit nicer to ride than the stock version (I had these parts lying around, you see). I have yet to take Iggy, as I have named him, onto the trail, but the forks feel realy nice on the urban dirt. The shifters work well, and the 9 speed cluster is welcome. For the price I payed here in Oz (RRP was US$575), you couldn't get a better bike.

Similar Products Used: Equivalent in Trek and Avanti
Bert   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent rear deraillers, wide handlebars, light frame. Easy to get used to, only notice how good

Shocks heavy & no damping. Pedals medioca

Shopped around, best componentry you get these sort of $. Wouldn't take any of the other similar price bikes onto tracks

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Topanga, Shogun TB4
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

The value is there. I comparision shopped for a month.

Definitely the cranks. (I'll be going to splined Deore LX's real soon. The Kenda Tires also suck.

Buy this for $ 450-470 and spend another $100-150 on tires, cranks, bottom bracket. You will not be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Looked at Jamis Dakota SX, K2 Zed 3.0, Schwinn GSX, Fisher Marlin, Trek 4900. Buy this over all others under $600 and change the crank & bottom bracket!
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2001]
Strength:

-Strong, light frame
-Reliable shox
-Decent components/drivetrain
-Light, strong rims and very nice tires

Um... doesn't come in any other colour than red/black!

A good, fast sturdy bike that is light enough to cruise up hills with ease. Intermediate racing bike that has features good enough to last a long time. The value is excellent for the money you pay! Ideal for the intermediate XC rider, not for beginners or experts!