Giant 2000 Yukon SE Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Mike   [Mar 05, 2013]
Strength:

price

I can't see any

I came here to look at the reviews for this bike because I have found one and I wanted to see what things people say about them. I wanted to thank you guys for that. this seems to be a Great find for the price I found it for. 35.00 is quite the bargain apparently. can't wait to be the new owner. ;O)

Jerred Darling   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2006]
Strength:

great bike for the price, low maintance, always shifts great, handles great, does everything great. I've ridin this bike hard for years. I ride it to work daily, and trails on weekends. I've taking it all over the country and it has always done great. I rode a 77 mile gravel trail for 2 days and never had a problem. I've loade it with 60 extra pounds of camping gear and it handled it like nothing. I absolutly Love this bike. took 5 years of hard riding for parts to start to wear. rear derailuer works great, I replaced mine with a LX and wish I hadn't. stops better than anything i've ever owned. shifters are a cheap model but havn't failed me yet and the rear always does what I want it to.

crashed once and bent the chainrings, bottom bracket got full of sand, my wheels did bend" but which don't", trued the front once and the rear twice and the haven't bent hardly at all since. the fork is OK not enough travel, my bike came with a 1999 JETT not the 2000 model, mine doesn't give me much trouble, it doesn't realy stick at all but tops-out to much when my front wheel is off the ground. could use lighter parts but you could get those if you buy the next model up from the Yukon. doesn't have a barrel adjuster on front shifter, front derailuer is hard to get tuned perfect.

GREAT BIKE FOR THE AVERAGE RIDER, GREAT VALUE, I THRASH MINE AND IT ALMOST NEVER FAILS. I STRIP, CLEAN, AND TUNE MINE EVERY WINTER AND NEVER HAVE TO MESS WITH IT THE REST OF THE YEAR. I'VE RIDEN IT FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND WILL PROBABLY RIDE IT FOR 5 MORE, MY PARTS ARE STARTING TO WEAR, JUST GOT TO DO SOME UPGRADES TO LIGHTER PARTS JUST TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEWER MORE EXPENSIVE BIKES.

Similar Products Used: MY OLD GIANT SEDONA AND IGUANA, MY BUDDY'S TREK AND GT. THE TREK AND GT WERE BOTH THE SAME YEAR AS MY YUKON WITH ALMOST IDENTICAL PARTS AND THE GIANT WAS THE LIGHTEST AND CHEAPEST.
David D   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

The frame geometrics are outstanding. The wheelbase and seatpost set put me right over the cranks, making for acceleration that borders on explosive. For long rides I just set the saddle back maybe 1-2 cm more and bingo, I have a touring bike.

Didn't expect much from the stock components on this bike, and am not surprised to find they are wearing quickly. The saddle and the stock brake pads are very weak. Change that saddle in the shop unless you like 'numb bum', and any serious speed will melt rubber to your rims, so buy quality brake pads.

I bought this bike for a stop-gap. I figured it would last a year. See, I'm hard on a bike; a 40Km daily commute, a camping trailer averaging 60-80Kg, and my youngest son has Cerebral Palsy, so he and his Trail-a-bike go 90Kg off the seatpost. This bike handles it all. The stock components, while far from top end stuff, have really surprised me by standing up and resisting the wear I put on them. Maintenance and cleaning is key. When I strip all the commuting stuff off this bike and hit the trails, the geometrics, stiff frame and tight suspension get me on all but the most technical single track and a great deal of unsuccessful downhill. My bottom line? If you've bought it already, keep it clean and it'll run well. If you're still looking, buy it if you can strip it down, open it up and keep it up. I'm not getting rid of it, and if those cheap components ever cr*p out, I'll upgrade. I'm very happy with this bike. And you know what else? Blue with the silver details looks great.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Raleigh
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Light, yet sturdy Frame
Rapid Fire shifters are nice
Great price
Over looks are impressive

I've had many tire repairs. Also, I didn't care much for the stock saddle. Forks get sticky quickly if not kept clean and lubed.

Great bike for the money. I've put 2500 miles on it with very few adjustments. I bought it new in 2001 and only ride six to seven months out of the year. I don't abuse it much, but on occasion I do get off the beaten path and the Yukon handles it just fine. I highly recommend it for the weekend warrior.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh, Gary Fisher, Trek
Bruce Wilson   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

Great entry level bike.

The front fork is too soft for a 190+ lb rider I upgraded to a Rock Shox Judy XC with firm springs.

Great bike for city use but it needs upgrading for trail use.

Christopher Annandale   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2001]
Strength:

Very Good frame geometry. Very light, for the price.

All round components are weak, but not bad for the price

On my previous bike I had a tendency to fall over the handle bars. Comes in the great geometry of Giant. Much better on downhills as well as on climbs. After spending some $$$ on upgrading to better components this is a great all round bike for cross country as well as technical routes.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Gary Fischer
bird nflight   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2001]
Strength:

Light,good-looking and value. Also, it seems very tough both mechanically and cosmetically.

Handlebars are too wide.

This is a great entry-level bike. So far, I have replaced only the seat, putting an anatomical seat for women on it. I also added to the pedals by putting the plastic frame for straps but not the straps themselves. This bike is a great value and seems tough. I rode this bike downhill at Lajitas, reaching speeds of up to 18 mph on rocks and boulders and it took it just fine, no mechanical or cosmetic damage.

Similar Products Used: Steel Trek, Fuji Nevada
Fazillah Harris   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Good value for money, strong frames, good weight, smooth drive train. I call it a poor man's bike but the bike (not me) is capable of a good many years of riding.No wear and tear yet, the guy at the bike shop told me so.

Handle bars and stem. Too high.

This bike is better than the rider. I've ridden on road and off road at 1 particular trail and the bike did not give me any problem thanks to all the pros in my group. I find it performs well on my fun trail and the RST fork adjustment really works.If it bobs, just adjust to a stiffer level. If I have the money, I will only upgrade to better components once the present components wear out. If not , the Alivio are still very good. No wear and tear yet after 3 road rides and 5 trail rides apart than my numerous rides alone.I clean and lube my bike after every ride. Its just a practice I'm happy to do so that my bike is always clean when I lock it up indoors.
If I'm rich, I'll still buy this bike!
This bike is good for entry level and even for intermediate riders who ride on weekends and holidays. If you're a serious MTBiker and race, and you have the money...go buy a $2,000.00 bike. I'm happy with mine.

Similar Products Used: This is my first owned bike at 41 years old(last time it was hand me downs) and very new at MTB.
Martin King   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2001]
Strength:

-blue Yukon SE 2001-
Price,light & strong frame.
Design,brand

crappy pedals & tires!
heavy steel handelebar

great entry/intermediate bike. good price & quality.
Handles & drives great.
Wanna get rid of 1lb?? change the darn handlebar for an aluminum bar!