Giant 2000 XtC Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

CAROL   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2003]
Strength:

GREAT FIRST DESCENT BIKE. VERY FAST AND LIGHT

BARS WERE TO WIDE HAD TO CUT A GOOD INCH OFF BOTH SIDES TO WIDE FOR SINGLE TRACK. GOT RID OF FORMULA SET UP AND REPLACED IT WITH HAYES. MUCH HAPPIER .ALWAYS CHAIN SLOP YOU JUST IGNORE IT

I HAVE USED AND ABUSED THIS BIKE AND IT SHOWS. GOT A GOOD 2000 - 3000 MILES ON IT. I THINK THATS PRETTY GOOD. LOTS OF DIRT LOTS OF WATER AND MUD AND WE GONE OVER A CLIFF. IT TAKES WHAT EVER YOU CAN DISH OUT. THIS BIKE HAS GREAT CONTROL ON DOWNHILLS I USUALLY WIN.

joe   [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

super light, climbs like a goat,excellent value, hauls a§§!

at first the brakes were unbearable but after a week there fine,after a year of hard riding i started to hear a lot of noise from inside the crank. Also the crank bolt on the left hand side has fallen out twice while i was riding.

for the value it cant be beaten. IT climbs like a dream, too good for the tires actually. It is super light and fast. All though it is a mountain bike i can keep up with many road cyclists.After a bout 1200 or miles the crank bolt came off( fixed with lock tite), the back tire was worn down(partially my fault to much concrete) and now when i stand up and really grind on it the crank makes a lot of noise. I dont what it is im fairly light at 135 so i dunno. Except for that 1 problem i cant fix the bike is awesome. the only thing i really wana upgrade is the fork. i give a 5 for value but a 4 because of the noise otherwise it would of got a 5.

Similar Products Used: trek 4900
el ray   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

mad-figgin' light frame...

scratches easily

This frame is so light and stiff and strong and beautiful and fast... the heavy hydracoil fork that's on mine makes the dang thing so front-heavy that big-air means dirt sandwich -- don't throw some heavy coil fork on it; buy it stock or give her an SID and you will be in heaven... She may be a lightening bolt but she's not for everyone - only those who want a screaming-fast race ready bike should apply. This hardtail is stiff and uncompromising...

Similar Products Used: '98 fisher joshua x1
justin cafferty   Downhiller [Oct 20, 2001]
Strength:

first off i should say that i bought this as a frame only option, and built the bike from the ground up. it's definetely light...has cool looking paint job too

this frame creakes and snaps at me constantly. May be because I didn't use an integrated headset, but sound seems to be coming from all areas (cranks, headset, seatpost, etc.)

wasn't really the frame I wanted to buy, because I do a lot of trials riding on it. I'm not much for cross country, but that seems to be what this frame is suited best for. THe price was right, and I'm a tall guy who needs a big frame (21.5"), so i had to settle with this frame. Now i can understand what many of you are saying about the frame being weak, for mine creakes constantly, and it does feel and sound like there's nothing under you, but I have not had any problems with the durability aspects of this frame so far. of course I have a zocchi on front that soaks up a lot of the hits, and the mammoth rims are so strong that little of the stress gets to the frame. still, I have my doubts...I weigh a lot, and only time will tell if this frame will hold up. still, I have a hard time believeing you guys who say that you can bend the frame with your fingers. I take five foot drops and ride trials, and everynow and then I take this bike out for a downhill run as well. If I haven't broke this frame yet, with my 230 lb. fat ass, then I see no reason why anyone else would either. maybe you guys need to learn how to work on your bikes and keep up on maintanence. anyhow, this frame has satisfied me so far, at least until i get the cash to buy a nice dual slalom frame. value was exceptional, overall rating is high as well (with the exception of the creaks, which I've learned to live with).

Similar Products Used: first high class hardtail i've owned. I generally ride my fsr with marzocchi mcr, sun mammoth rims, etc...
ol dirty   [Aug 08, 2001]

This is an update to a post from over a year ago. This rig still rocks! Only had to replace the bb and the left shifter so far. Not too shabby! I still love this bike like I did on the first date. Serious machine for the money. I still give it a five flamin' people who try to run me down.

Michael Kirk   Racer [Sep 21, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight frame, extremely responsive, great hill climber

Hard (aluminum) ride feel, sound of rocks bouncing off of frame.

I bought the bike less the shock as a 99' left over. Sold all stock components (except the Shimano items) & rebuilt the bike for racing. Giant sells a great bike for the components offered & the price. The bike is a great racing bike, light & handles just as a good HT should, responsive & a great climber (as long as you are a good climber). Only down side is the sound of debris hitting the frame as it sounds like your riding a beer can. No problems w/ and dents or dings. Frame is sturdy & strong. Would recomment this bike to anyone for the price & you could upgrade the frame after a few years if necessary.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale M800
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2000]
Strength:

Bang for the buck.
WTB Motorapter tires have turned out to be very nice.
Hayes HD Disc brakes

Handlebars and saddle (easy & cheap fix)
Mavic 223 Disc rims (not worthy of singletrack or technical riding. In 6 months I've toasted two front rims and one rear)
LX front.

THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM A PREVIOUS POST

The bike is great and is worth every dollar you spend for it. However upon buying the bike try to get a discount for some additonal parts; such as, a riser bar, upgraded rims (if you ride agro trails like me), XT or XTR front.

I have crashed a few times at high speed and watched the bike bounce, flip and slam into rocks & trees. I have not had any of the problems previously described, I just pick it up and keep on riding. I'm 6'2", 185lbs and ride the medium frame. Still happy with the bike, but find myself spending more money on things I don't think I should have to (i.e. rims)

Kevin   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

Best value out there, hayes discs, SID, Light frame

Heavy wheelset

First of all, I work in a bike shop, and if you could dent the downtube with your fingers we'd have warranty issues out the ass. Second, for those of you wondering how this bike can weigh 26+ lbs with a 3 lb frame and 2.9 lb fork, it's not the discs, its the wheel set. You can probably drop a pound+ by upgrading wheels and going with less aggressive tires. Another problem is the ridiculously wide bar, which I'll swap out for the Crowbar race when my bike gets here later this week. Overall, I can't wait for it to get here because it kicks ass. Originally, I wanted the MCM SE1, but was told that Giant has sold out and won't be making anymore. Not to worry, as the XTC is still an incredible bike and an incredible deal. But one more complaint. Who hell specced the stupid looking white cranks? I'll repost once I put in some time on it.

Similar Products Used: I've demoed pretty much everything from Trek, Giant, and Fisher
Colin   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

Awsome frame weight, Rockshock SID's, Time pedals, Raceface cranks, Titec headset, Hayes disc brakes.

Frame does ding easily, Time pedals are great but hard to get used to. LX/XT needs upgraded to make the most of this bike. WTB tires are terrible for desert riding. Disc brakes also don't like the dust but work great if you don't mind some ringing.

Great bike, exceptional deal. A hard bike to ride in the desert but fun once you know how.

Adrian Vizzari   Racer [Sep 12, 2000]
Strength:

Cost - for the money this is a real good bike. I race almost every second weekend plus train 2x per week. So far it's been great - no failures or breakages (including frame!).

1) The chain did not match well with the rest of the gear set - change to high spec Shimano and 100% improvement.
2) The standard set didn't suit me but thats up to the rider.
3) The bike is a little heavy - just doesn't have the "snap" of more expecnsive products - still for the money...

Good bike for the money - don't complain! Perhaps a little heavy but who cares - just keep on riding.