Giant 2000 Sedona SE Hardtail Bike

Giant 2000 Sedona SE Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, SR M7600, 2.5" travel fork

[Aug 03, 2010]
Edward Maurer

Strength:

good handling product, easy to upgrade, price range

bike handles excellent handling and i would recommend product to anybody!!

[Oct 01, 2000]
john doe

Strength:

-the frame is strong as heck, probably due to the cro-mo and ovalized tubes.
-headset
-forks (rigid)
- great geometry for climbing

bottom bracket fused to frame after two years in no winter riding. brakes are terrible. handle bars break

okay, it was my first mtb, and I used to race on it, even though it was heavy. it climbs well, descneds well and the frame is as stiff as anything out there. Bu t of course if you plan to ride alot, the parts will be inadequate and break. If youre starting out, it is recommended, if you think you will get better, move on. I have enjoyed riding it.

trek 930 rocky mountain hammer cannondale f400

[Jun 21, 2000]
Dave K

Strength:

Comfort
Value
Appearance

A little heavy for an aluminum frame

After thoroughly test riding several other "comfort" mountain bikes (see "Similar Products Used") I decided on the Giant Sedona SE. It seemed to be the most comfortable of the bunch along with the Schwinn Sierra GS. The value of the bike is a strong suit as well. It was the only one offering a front shock. The Schwinn had a suspension guidepost that worked well for damping small bumps, but the front suspension fork on the Giant worked better over a wider range of riding conditions. I particularly like the action of the SRAM shifters and derailers. I thought the rear derailer was slightly smoother than the Shimano Acera derailers found on the other bikes tested. Additionally, the Giant Sedona SE was the nicest looking bike of the bunch and had the smoothest riding tires with a tread that also works well on the trails. My only minor complaint is that the aluminum frame was heavier that the Specialized and the Schwinn. The Trek bikes also had an aluminum frame which was on the heavy side. The GT had a Cro-Moly frame. However, the Giant frame also seemed more substantial in size which could equate to a more durable frame. All in all this is an excellent entry level mountain bike which is extremely comfortable to ride. You simply won't find a better "comfort" mountain bike for the price ($330).

2000 models tested: Schwinn Sierra GS, Trek Navigator 200 and 300, GT Outpost Trail, Specialized Expedition Sport

[Jul 01, 2001]
Ron Rowsome

Strength:

Affordable. Great 6061 butted aluminium frame. Rides and handles like a dream.

Mine came with a free-wheel problem that now needs adjustment. As well, serious trail riders may want to change the "comfort" tires for something nobbier.

I got a sweet bargain on this thing back in January. She's a big girl (22.5 inch XL frame) but, I'm a big boy at 6'1" and 210 pounds. Since February I have pounded over 1600 kilometers (I don't know what that is in miles) into this bike. I have never been so pleasently surprized at the performance of a new bike as I have the 2000 Sedona SE, especially when considering how cheap they are and how very upgradable they are as well. I got the black one which doesn't look anything like your horrible shot MTBReview. I love this bike's big aluminium frame. It's strong and bouncy and has the kind of geometry that works really well for me. I'm so sick of local bike shops and manufacturers too, who constantly keep peddling these little 18" and 19" frames to people who are to big for them.

Components such as the Sram twist shifters and derailers have given me no problems what-so-ever. Although I intend to keep upgrading, such as replacing the so-so SR Suntour 7600 forks to something a little better and so on, this should not reflect on the the over all value of the Sedona SE. It's cheap, works very well and is upgradable. In this price range, I would find it very difficult to recommend anything better.

Specialized hybrid bikes, Giant ATX 840 with 21" frame.

[Jul 11, 2000]
Bob

Strength:

The price is good for what you get. Suspension forks, suspension seatpost, adj.bar stem, kevlar-lined tires. Comfortable upright riding position.

I don't like the grip-shifts. They seem to shift very sloppily. No external fork adj. For the occational rider though, these small gripes won't matter.

This is my first bike since I was a kid. I'm now 50. I rode 600 miles in 3 months on this bike. It does an excellent job for what it was designed for. The Sedona SE let me find out what kind of riding I like to do best for a small amount of money and very comfortably.