Giant 2000 Rainier SE Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

chadamorris   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2009]
Strength:

Great Frame that will take a beating!Bike was upgraded when i bought it so the brakes were good as well as a new SID shock.

The Crank could be better and the stock seat is terrible.

Great bike for the money at the time of purchase. I've had this bike for 7 years and it's always performed well. The frame would probably last another 10 years with no problems

Similar Products Used: Trek 4500
dancestoblue   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Tough as an old boot. Strong frame, good components, just goes and goes

The stock Formula disk brakes needed constant adjustment.

This bike is amazing. Way tougher than I'll ever be, I've gone over the handlebars and/or dumped it a thousand times -- I'VE gotten torn up, the bike's been fine; adjust this and that and back on my way, I'm bleeding and moaning but the bike is jamming. Replaced the Formula brakes with Avid BB7's -- you hit the skids, these brakes stop you, Now. (I was able to get almost nine years out of the Formula brakes, CONSTANT ADJUSTMENTS and considerable danger, truth be told; the last year with them was, um, interesting.) Rebuilt the bike this year -- the brakes, new cassette, new crankset, chain (duh), new cables, yet another set of tires. I did not replace the rear derailleur but I'm going to when I catch one on sale somwwheres. All of this was deferred maintainance, btw -- those components held out for NINE YEARS. And now it's good for another nine years, probably. I love this bike. Buy a Giant bike, have a happy life.

Drew   [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Overall value is unbeatable, Frame can take a beating, relatively light-weight, cool looks, solid shifting levers, disc brakes Front & Rear.

Crank set should be replaced (I'm thinkin' XTR). Stock Fork could be adjustable but heh! the price of some aftermarket forks are more than the bike!

This is my first MTB and I must say prior to its purchase I looked at various bikes in the 500-1000 range, given its stock setup it is the best bang for the buck. One key for me was the disc brakes (standard), yeah they squeak but you can count on them to slow you down in a hurry. This bike can also take a beating as can be attested by my many falls being a relatively new to the sport, but its solid, builds confidence, climbs with the most expensive of them, and will not require a 2nd on your house to purchase. My plans in the future are to upgrade the components to Shimano XTR and enjoy many long years of great trail, single track, and downhill riding with my Giant-

Similar Products Used: None, first MTB
Scurge   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2007]
Strength:

Value! Very good parts for the $$$ Strong upgradable frame.

Crank/bottom bracket.The stock Formula MD-1 Brakes.

For what I paid,this is one hell of a bike!I've been riding it for going on 7 years now,and just buy upgraded parts as I wear stuff out.When I first got it,It developed a creaking in the bottom bracket,but I took it back to the shop,and whatever they did,it has never done it again.Recently,my home was desroyed by a tornado,my bike was hanging on the front porch,along side my son's BMX bike,long story short,I found it about 100 yards away,with not even a tweaked wheel or anything...both wheels on my son's bike where taco'd...figure that one out!All in all this has been a great bike for the money,and would recommend it to anyone,as long as they ride it as it was intended...not a downhill or freeride bike!

Similar Products Used: Giant warp ds-1,Trek 8500
Ben Dover   Downhiller [Sep 29, 2001]
Strength:

this bike is very strong, i use it for many dropoffs, and jumps. It is a very strong bike and is great for ghost riding into busy streets or your grandparents car.

this bike has some good components, such as the shocks, the brakes and the handelbars. there are many unnamed componets on this bike though, such as the..... tink on the wheel and the other things.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! ITS A @#%^W$^#%#!@ CRAZY BIKE!!!! CAUSE YOU CANT RIDE IT!

Similar Products Used: my new red tricycle, and my unicycle
David Lopez   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Judy XC , Formula Disc Brakes, Wheelset, shifters

cranks, pedals, seat

I looked at about 20 different bikes ranging between 600 and 1100. They were all over priced with okay parts. This bike has great parts, very easy to upgrade and was dirt cheap for frame quality and parts. I was going to buy the 2001 model but for 300 bucks cheaper it's almost the same bike. Recommend to anyone looking for a well built, good selection of parts bike.

Similar Products Used: my first mtb
Morgan M.   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2000]
Strength:

The bike comes with some great parts spec'd, like the Judy fork, sweet brakes(which work great if tuned correctly), sturdy frame, good tires, and decent derailure.

The grips were the first thing I noticed, they came apart in my hands over teh course of a month. everything else is race worthy(raced 3 times with only the granny ring failing).

Great bike for a beginner, or as an alternative to use when not racing. BB comes loose to often. 4 chilis for the BB thing and lack of performance from the cranks.

Similar Products Used: none
Gregoria Pemlushki   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2000]
Strength:

Nice package, out of box. Tight ride, excellent handling. I definitely feel that I received a lot of bike for the buck.

I thought the brakes were not so good, they squealed quite a bit (although my shop was going to change the pads). Quite heavy (read 30 pounds). Paint job took some getting used to.

Absolutely love the bike. Next bike will have the same setup, but weigh 23 pounds (instead of the current 29). I was upset with the front shifter, but now that I have changed the crank arms, shifting is much smoother. Although I have only had the bike a short time, I have beaten it up pretty well - it can take it. Very pleased!

Similar Products Used: Trek 6500
Ed   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2001]
Strength:

Great Value (extremely well rounded), Good Forks (Marzocchi Z.5), Great Brakes (avid mech.),Good components (Deore)

Stock tires (I upgraded before I hit the trail, I went to a 2.1 IRC mythos and am well pleased with the traction even under hard cornering and braking)

Any one that dose'nt want to shell out too much cash but feels as if they deserve a solid, dependable,and above average preforming ATB should at least check this one out! I researched extensivly before I purchased a new ride and I was even told by other dealers (Schwinn, GT, Specalized, and Raliegh) that no one can touch this bike (value for the buck). I am stoked with it but will be adding a Race Face stem, seat post, and crank set as well as Easton carbon straight bars. I have ordered the heavy fork springs and will be changing the oil from 7.5w to 10w and the level from 45mm to 40mm (a tech tip for you 200+ weight riders)as well as 100mm travel from the stock 80mm.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2001]
Strength:

Avid Mechanical Discs, Deore Components, Aluminum Frame

None!

This is one hell of a bike for $699 plus tax. The avid's are the best mechanicals you can get. They are a lot better than pull brakes. This bike has so many good components I cant complain about anything on it. I have the black/gray frame which looks sweet. I cant wait to test it out once the trails dry out. If you are looking for a great bike at a decent price get this bike!!!