Giant 1999 Warp SE Hardtail Bike

1999 Giant Warp SE, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281 fork

Joe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2006]
Strength:

Great frame, shifters and front suspension (SR Suntour). Tires very good for downhill riding

RIMS, very weak. Cranks? Creaks real bad when hammering up hills. Unknown origin even at bike shop. Rear Shock setup is terrible. Bottom Bracket built into rear triangle making for highly inefficient pedaling. This was corrected on Later Warp models

For the price, this has been a great bike and I could not have asked for more from a first full suspension bike. It is clearly a downhill bike and I will upgrade because I want do more cross country riding. However, I have truly abused this bike and it is still runing strong. Not good for cross country riding but handles very well on downhill runs. I weigh 225lbs. and this bike supports me very well. The only thing I had to do was tighten the rear shock so it would not budge unless I made a rough downhill landing, probably ruined the spring but absolutely worth it.
Cheap conponents and rear shock should be expected at this price range. This is not a conpetition bike but will take any abuse a recreational rider can put it through. Frame-Outstanding. Overall, this is been worth every dollar paid.

Similar Products Used: Trek 830
Pete   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

The whole bike is awesome I wont ride anything but this bike!

The best for the buck I'm sold on Giant thanks to the guys at BIKE FIT I'd reccomend it for anyone that wants a fun low maintenance bike

MR_DH   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 1999]
Strength:

come again

rides like a drunk elephant
cheap components
weak rims
weak frame

if you are under the age of 60, dont buy the bike. anyone younger than 60 will break it. it took 3 months for me to snap my frame in half. at a time i could have done with a bike in one peice. I hate this bike, aside from snapping, it flexed all over the place. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEYbuy a real bike, not a tin can.thumbs up to giant for helping me out with a kick ass atx900 frame though.

Similar Products Used: giant atx900
dodsun firepower
Will Koenig   Downhiller [Jan 12, 2001]
Strength:

IT HAD A COMFY SEAT AND GOOD BRAKES FOR A WHILE. THE FRAME LOOKS ALL RIGHT AT FIRST. GOOD FOR YOUNG KIDS AND PEOPLE WHO DONT RIDE HARD VERY OFTEN.

COMFY SEAT BROKE AND SO DID THE BRAKES, CHEAP PARTS, I OWNED 1 FOR 6 MONTHS AND CRACKED 4 FRAMES.
ALSO I SNAPPED THE REAR END OFF A TREK 8900SL THERE REALLY WEAK ALMOST AS BAD AS THE WARP. IT ALSO HAS STRANGE GEOMETRY.

The bike really pleased me for a while when i first got into mtb, but once the problems set in i was really angry.
But Giant were really good with the warranty, and in the end they gave me an atx 800 team frame, it was great cause i was only 11 now that im 15 i own a GT lobo which aint to shabby.

Similar Products Used: REPCO BIKES(PROBABLY STRONGER)
HOLSTAR MONTANNA
Shaun   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2000]
Strength:

Looks good, very cheap, built for tall people

Shifter shifts all the time when not wanted, all gear on it is crap, crank broke, and cables snapped

Good for beginnier, but not advanced person

jonesy   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 10, 1999]
Strength:

this bike is a strength i dont care what anybody else says this bike is bloody cheap can be upgraded into an allround kikass bike and bloody joy

the weaknesss with this bike is the shocks but these nmay not bother you but can be upgraded easily

this is a bloody good bike if thinking of it just buy go for it it rocks

Similar Products Used: not many as giood
Justin   Downhiller [May 27, 1999]
Strength:

Great Price, Great Angles for downhill, Lower bar for those unpredictible wrecks that would normaly render one genderless. Light, Afordible, Stylish.

Not exactly designed for XC, not quite made to do uphills as well as it does down.

Great Bike 4 $
Good for Begnners, upgradible to a very usible bike.
Wonderful Downhill preformance.
It gets a 5 for as many times it has saved my genitila. :)

Similar Products Used: Dean 96 Bam bam,
Marin Hawk Hill
Luis Gomez   weekend warrior [Jan 20, 1999]

Nice bargain. This one is a stilysh, well assembled bike. A good value if you're after an entry level package, wich can be upgraded after some rides give you the motivation to push harder, faster & longer.

Hor-kan   racer [Jan 20, 1999]

it look like has dual suspension, very special, and price isn't expansive. Person can easy to go on the seat. But person can't take the water bottle easiler, it set lower than general bike. and we can't put somethine in down tube. like light battery in there. becoz it is too thick. Just my opinion.

John Sleeswijk   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2005]
Strength:

Frame

The cheap parts

This bike is good, not too expensive and easy to tune up. I use this bike for 5 years now and I have never encountered a problem. I removed the heavy suspension, seatpost, bar, stem and wheels into better parts.