Giant 1999 Rincon SE Hardtail Bike

Giant Rincon SE

Eric Butler   Racer [Sep 30, 2001]
Strength:

not too many...held up to my abuse for 2 years. and it can still take the 5 footers.

well...crank arms creek after about a year of riding...every time i ride it i tork my rims...hanger that holds my front dr broke and cant be replaced...fork squeeks...front break broke after a year of riding...just payed 40 bucks for a tuneup and the d@mn thing went back to its old self that night.

dont get this bike unless you want to ride trails that are flat and or paved.

Similar Products Used: any giant hardtail or huffy
Eric Butler   Racer [Sep 30, 2001]
Strength:

dont get this bike unless you want to ride trails that are flat and or paved.

Similar Products Used: any giant hardtail or huffy
Cojac   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2002]
Strength:

Price and Frame

gears, forks, rims are heavy

This is a great lower end bike. The butted 6061 aluminum frame is light and strong. Yes the components are cheap, but they have held up well for me, minus some annoying creaking. I'm not to crazy about the grip shifters, but they have worked adequately. If you don't want to spend several hundred bucks on a bike, this could be the one. Just note that this is the 1999, and newer models have different quirks.

Devin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

The only stock strength is the frame...

I would say the biggest weakness is, or was the stock components, they ended up breaking after a little while of hard riding... One day my fu*king shifters broke and i had to stay in tenth gear a damn month... everything cucks except the frame...

It was ok for a me rider starting off, but as I gradually got better the bike just diden't cut it. So like I said, I upgraded ALOTT of it! i put over $350 into it... But I'm hoping to keep this bike for awhile and its doing great. I'm killing my friend, with a suped up FSR with 5" of travel on both ends, on the uphill and stayin not too far away from him on the downs... I love my bike!

Similar Products Used: umm GT's in simular price range, same with Specialized's...
Sam Henry   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2001]
Strength:

Bloody cheap, Good frame,

Average components, drive train sux, Fork on the SE is pathetic I bought the standard and picked up a Judy XC on the cheep.

This Is my first and only real bike. For the price you can't go wrong. Recreational cross country is the best thing for this bike (after a few upgrades) The new rims were the best upgrade, original ones were weak. The old fork's not worth considdering, Get a standard and buy a decent fork.
Great frame but the components realy are pretty weak.

Similar Products Used: Kona, Giant ATX, Cannondale,
Reid   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2001]
Strength:

Nice and durable frame, a bit heavy though.

Front derailer=crap. fork=crap. brakes feel mushy even after adjusting...but otherwise brakes work great. rims are heavy and made out of clay...very bendable...and i ride like a sissy.

She was my first and I will always love her, but the travel on the fork is weak as well as the fork itself being clunky and unresponsive. If it's your first bike, you will likely LOVE it, I did until I learned what a good bike rides like. I'm selling mine to a friend attempting to get into the sport and after two years I have never had to replace anything except had to true the back rim due to it being crap.
If you are a long time rider, why are you even looking at this?

Similar Products Used: my grandma's wheelchair
Trail Blaizer   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2000]
Strength:

Recon provides a strong frame and overall is a good quality bike. The crome olly frame flexes some to provied a more comterble ride than aluminum. Although it is a hevy froame. I like the 21.5' frames because of my hight making this bike good for the taller riders.

The only problem I've hade with this bike is in the front derailer. It stay in 3. The RST 280 Team Series fork is prity good for the price I paied although it could use a little more travle. After a while the derailers begin to loose there responce so swich gears before you need them.

Over all this is a good XC bike. Especaly if your just starting. The price is reasonable for what you pay and you get the durability you need. This bike can take whipe-outs and wheely drops and keeps on ticking. The only part that had to be replaced was the rear deraler because a stick poped up and folded it in half. (an advantage of cheep lower end derailers is that they can be replaced cheeper than the higher end ones.

Shawn Ahskenasy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2000]
Strength:

Price ( I got mine for 300.00 USD) , Frame, and the colour. I am suprised to say the bike has held up after 400 miles I have not had to upgrade any thing yet. (except went to clipless pedals because I love them so much. The seat is real comphy too.

The weight! This things a tank. I only use this as a commute bike. I have not and wont take this bike on any real trails...I would kill my self on it. The components are weak I really only like the frame. The paint chips too easy.

This is a great commuter or light trail bike. If you are not big like me you might be able to pull off some moderate trails. I am really impressed with the fact that the components have not all broken off or blown apart. Its a fun bike for put puting around. I am giving it 5 chilis for its value. I might be too hard on Giant but only 4 chilis for the bikes extras and the shabby stuff that comes with the frame. I also must say bravo to Giant for using the same frame for this bike as in the more expensive better stocked bikes, and the cool seat. This not the best out there, but if you like to ride and are not into the best right now mind set you will like this bike. Just like a good starter home has only 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, this is a low maintance good starter bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Trek, and Huffy.
Billy Werth   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2000]
Strength:

Everything has worked great so far, although I don't think I've ridden enough to know the difference

Occasional misses on the front shifter but other than that none that I can tell.

I think the bike works great. Its stable and allows a new rider the confidence to take on some pretty cool stuff. Dave at Fat Bikes set the bike up for me knowing I was a beginner and did a wonderful job. I'm considering adding clipless pedals and changing the fork. For the money invested (the new 200 models are even less expensive) this bike is terrific.

Similar Products Used: That's the problem, I've got nothing really to compare it to.
Matt Young   Downhiller [Jul 24, 2000]
Strength:

The frame is really strong. I've taken this bike off 4 foot wheelie drops and haven't bent or broken my frame. The front rim bent really easily, but the back is still true.

the bottom bracket is a P.O.S. It is not sealed. I've had to take it apart and clean it so often because it fills up with water so easily and grinds bearings like a MoFo

This bike is awsome. It has put up with the pounding I have given it. I ride it down steep technical hills, take jumps, and ride over big bumps. The frame hasn't even bent when I hit a car. The only damage to the bike was a snapped steerer tube on my fork and an ovalized headset.