Giant 1999 EB SPORT Hardtail Bike

Giant 1999 EB SPORT Hardtail Bike

1999 Giant EB SPORT, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281 fork

[Apr 24, 2010]
Seven

Strength:

Hybrid Qualities... ability to go from Street to Trail without a hitch....

After riding with others... I found the bike a little heavy and slower when coasting.

Great all around bike, gets looks from the style and name.
Give the rider confidence in knowing it's capable.

Giant Sedona

[Aug 03, 1999]
Ted Backherms

Strength:

Very stable at slow speed on trails.
Comfortable upright position.
Adjustable stem

Shifting less than perfect due to grip shift. Prefer rapid-fire.

A good entry level bike for light to medium trails. Comfortable for us older riders with less calloused rear-ends (seat post shock). Wouldn't suit agressive riders/racers.

N/A

[Aug 07, 1999]
Laura
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

- I felt comfortable on the bike ~ good control
- the breaks

Weight
pedals
?shifting? (could just be the bike shop didn't adjust the cabels right the first time)

I had this bike for about a month and then my husband started riding it. The frame ended out being a little big for me. I'd gotten a really good deal on it and thought that I could just deal with the frame being a tad large. I did find the bike pretty heavy. Because of that weight I felt very stable on the downhills but was huffing and puffing on the up hills. For a while we were having trouble getting it to go into the lowest gear, but with THREE tune ups, it's finally working right.I felt like I had pretty good control over the technical stuff on this bike.I'd still be riding it if the frame wasn't so big. I'd say it's an ok bike for the money. I got mine for less than $300 from someone who won it in a contest ~ so we can't really complain.

this bike reminded me of my OLD UNIVEGA.

[Aug 02, 1999]
TampaMike

Strength:

Adjustable stem and handle bar.

stock drivetrain
a bit heavy for an aluminum bike

I test drove several bikes but, this one felt best for my riding style. I really like the adjustable handle bars. I can move them up and back for causal riding with the wife and child, then down for off-road trail riding with the guys.
The RST 281 fork is a decent entry level model but, a little on the heavy side. The seat is not too comfortable but, maybe it will get better with some use. I did some research before the purchase and liked what people said about the esp de-railers. I got a great deal on a ESP 9.0 shifter and rear derailer and the bike shop upgraded it. Wow! Really ups my confidence on shifting during aggressive rides. Just got the bike but, I think I'll enjoy it for many years.

Gary Fisher...
Giant Sedona
Giant Iguana

[Nov 02, 1999]
Sam
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

easy to upgrade. No strange sizes for headsets, seatposts, etc. For the money, it is really nice.

none.

I bought this bike after over 20 years of not riding a bike at all. I've ridden it a lot (lost 20 lbs.), and it has worked very well. A very good bike for someone who looking for a good way to start exercising after years of inactivity.

Other bikes in same price range: $400 - $500

[Aug 05, 2002]
Reagan

Strength:

The frame overall is light and very strong. It can be upgraded to be a very competitive hardtail.

All original parts outside of the frame. Problems with the frame: no replaceable Rear Derailleur Hanger but it is beefy.

It is a good frame and can be built to race quality if you invest in the proper accessories.

Diamondback Sorrento Sport