Gary Fisher 2001 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike

Gary Fisher 2001 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike

[May 27, 2017]
Mike Gilboy

Strength:

everything except the original tires

the tires that came on this rig were terrible, semi slicks.

I bought mine new in 01 and I still ride it today. Mind you I took about 8-10 years off. I did take of the top ring up fron and replaced it with a bash guard. I changed the handle bars out a few times and the stem. I just shoved some 2.35 maxxis tires underneath this, they fit, but its tight. I love this ride and will ride it till it dies.

[Apr 29, 2013]
Al

Strength:

EVERYTHING BUT THE ORIGINAL TIRES

Tires

Anyone else still riding one of these? Bought it new in early 2002 and used it for two years before my wife hurt her back and ended our MB treks. Has basically been in mothballs since. Thinking about using it this summer though now that the season is coming around. It's been in the garage so long it is like one of the family.

[Apr 29, 2009]
jimbo

Strength:

genesis geometry. The cool mother hips sticker on the down tube. Me on the seat.

The bike makes me ride too much. I'm supposed to be fat like all my old friends by now, but instead, I'm still in fairly good shape and I have no Idea who the next American Idol will be.

well, I'm guessing this will never be read, but: I've loved this bike like a memeber of my family for years. I've ridden it from the Moab to the Dolomitesps to the commute between Chico State and my house. Alas though, My old Mt Tam is showing the wear. I feel like I'm living the last 20 minutes or so of the movie: "My Dog Skip." What to do? I'm buying new brake pads, tires, cables and drive train. Then I'm going to put thousands of more miles on her! The only thing that sucks so far about my bike is the complete XTR drivetrain I put on her in 2003. It has always sucked. HAHA. I love my Mt. Tam.

n/a

[Feb 18, 2009]
coppersmith99

Strength:

At 6'3" the long top tube made the bike a great fit for me. The bike has always been a great climber.

The down tube and the front tube on the main triangle and/or the welds where these tubes join the bottom bracket.

Loved this bike and rode it all over NYC and NJ for about 4 years. I was not aware of any problem with the frame, but simply retired it, planning on selling it on ebay (sorry CM, be careful). I bought a Tassajara and put only a fraction of the miles on the Tass that I did on the Mt. Tam, with most on the road. It started creaking from the bb - sounded like typical noise when play develops in the crank arm/bb spindle. Shortly got louder, and I noticed extra flex when my spin was poor. Whoa! The down tube cracked about 2/3 the way around, and front tube cracked 1/2 around both through the tube and the weld with the bb.

No big deal - I'll just rebuild the Mt. Tam while waiting for lifetime warranty as it was still hanging in the garage. But low and behold, I find that the down tube is cracked almost 1/2 of the way through just above the weld with the bb. No crash damage, no dents, just two apparently identical failures. I contacted Trek almost two weeks ago, delivered the frames to a local GF dealer per its instructions eight days ago and told them that I would be happy with a single replacement frame as I did get at least a few years out of the bikes before they died, and I can only ride one at a time anyway. Dealer says no response from Trek to date and I'm going to have to buy a replacement because I need to ride.

Most XL riders are going to be much heavier than myself. Depending on your weight and riding style, it looks like the frame should be good for about three years. After that, I wouldn't trust it for anything but casual riding. The ratings are for the frame - components are rated elsewhere.

Ironically enough, a 2004 Tassajara from GF. Prior to Mt. Tam, a 1995 Specialized Hard Rock - I was lucky enough to ride stairs, drops, downhill and such back in the days before suspension.

[Feb 18, 2009]
CRASH MASTER

Strength:

This bike is awesome. Perfect fit, perfect color scheme, and rips up the trails. Frame was bought used so not sure how good the factory set up is.

The genesis geometry can make the bike a little on the slow side in tight switchbacks. I wish I had disc brakes.

This bike is just a blast to ride. I was lucky enough to find a used frame and build it the way I wanted it. The paint has held up well and the bike looks good for being 8 years old now. I have a sugar bike also but I like riding this bike more. It's tough to beat the simplicity and efficiency of a hardtail.

01 GT AGGRESSOR,99 GF MARLIN,01 MARLIN,01 GF SUGAR 1

[Feb 14, 2009]
z1 zonly

Strength:

Truly everything.

Can't comment on the entirely stock setup, but mine has none.

This bike is flat out awesome. I have never reached its limit before my own, in any regard. It's nice and light and very precise, durable, and SERIOUSLY fast. I've hucked it like an FS bike and it's taken every bit of abuse. I've raced it and beaten numerous bikes that were many times more expensive.

As stated in 'similar products,' this bike is so good that it made me sell my '05 Enduro Comp. Jumping on that thing after riding the Fisher was like getting out of an F1 car and into a Cadillac. No comparison.

And the amazing part is that the bike is now 8 years old. XC-wise, I wouldn't be a bit nervous about pitting it against a similar rider on any newer bike. I would truthfully rather have this bike than any other one I've seen on the market--it's old enough to not be scared to throw it around and let it see a little abuse, but it's still VERY competitive in every aspect of trail riding. Just perfect.

This thing gets ten well-deserved chlis.

'05 Specialized Enduro Comp (not so similar, but the Fisher is so good it made me sell it)

[Jul 05, 2002]
Allan

Strength:

Genesis Geometry, component selection for price point

Tires not good in sand, mud, water, or when rolling over anything.

My first mountain bike. Like most folks that have reviwed this bike, I also love it. The frame geometry is great. The difference is evident the first second you get on a Genesis bike (and gets even better the more you ride). I agree with all the complaints about the tires. I have had no problems with any of the other Bontranger stuff though(yet?). Bike is lightweight and you must lean forward when climbing or your front tire spins out on anything. I am very happy with the other factory components.

Great entry bike for folks who can afford $1,000 bikes. Has better components than competition at same price point, and similar priced FS bikes.

Test rides on Trek, Specialized, and about five other companies.

[May 15, 2003]
Dan

Strength:

nice frame, fishers warranty policy is premo, climbes like a goat, goes down fast and easy.

only my component selection

This bike is sweet. It was a replacement frame for a cracked mt tam. You need some time to get into genesis geometry, but it creates a full ride. I like to ride my frame a little small so its easy to manuver, but that probably was not necesarry with this bike. If you lean forward on turns this thing can turn on a dime. When your going fast and back a little the front does seem to get light, but it is so responsive to body position that leaning into turns makes it track incredibly. Riding this bike on narrow single track feels like snow boarding in powder; very smooth. It also descends well. I have a crap shock, but on steep drops if you put the seet on your abdoman you can consistently negotiate the freakishly technichal rocky drops. When you want to just air off a ledge the front is light and perfect placement is easy. If you suck this bike will make you look good. Multiple burning turds.

94 & 96 mt tam, khs

[Feb 26, 2002]
DC

Strength:

Weights not bad, XTR, XT, Marzocchi Z.2 Atom 80 shock, comfortable seat.

Brake pads, Tires, Bontrager cranks are in question...Can't keep the x rated girl stickers to stay on the frame... (any suggestions?)

After one year of light XC riding, I'm beginning to change certain components and question others. As you will read in other reviews, Bontrager is not doings so well. I'm still deciding on this, which means I'm questioning Bontrager's parts performance. I'm still looking into the creaks and crackles of what I believe to be the Bontrager stuff.

The stock ATB race tires are no good over here on the East Coast. I'm from CA, and they would be fine on most fast dirt trails out in Malibu or Ojai... Out here, forget about it. They can't handle the soft, wet terrain and mud.

Stock brake pads are questionable, I'll be trying something else this weekend to confirm the lack of stopping power in these East Coast conditions.

The bike handles well overall, but it's downhill style angle on the front forks makes it tough to turn on the tight stuff. That's Genisis for ya! Overall this bike's what I was looking for: simple hard tail, no fluff, takes a beating, better to best components, and competitive. Modifications are inevitable.

GT

[Jan 26, 2002]
Andy

Strength:

Color, Disc Brakes ( I got the disc brake version), Genesis geometry, I'm 6'3'',

Rear freehub, on the bontrager hubs doesn't spin freely, grips, seat clamp, Bondrager pedals SUCK, broke them in about 2 months.

I love the bike, it help up pretty well, exept the bontager parts, Bontrager SUCKS, I really liked the color. The fork is all right, it has a lot of flex and rebound is slow. The tires were ok for the summer.

trek 8000, schwin Moab 1