Gary Fisher 2000 Marlin Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Bob Russo   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2001]
Strength:

Value. Thi bike is a great intro mountain bike at a very reasonable price.
Upgradability. It is worth hanging better parts on the frame as you wear things out or break them

Weight. At this price, you can't expect a light frame tho'
If you get serious about mountain biking you will wear out these components.
The seat. I bent the rails on a hard landing. replace it right away.

I've done many upgrades (at good prices, so it did.nt break the bank) and have probably maxed out the potential of this frame. I am very happy with this bike. A word to the wise: If you know you are going to love mountain biking, it's cheaper to buy a beeter bike to start with...spend about $800 and get a nice hardtail...

Similar Products Used: Trek, Specialized
Erik   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

Value is definitely #1. This is a light, stiff frame that can take a beating (I know mine has had a few good knocks) and can handle well. It's a good all-round bike that can give you a taste of every type of riding. I don't know where a lot of the stiff seat complaints come from. The model I bought here in Canada came with a plush seat that must be different from the US torture board I keep reading about.

Contrary to popular opinion, the 2000 model is not Genesis geometry (2001 is though). As you improve or get used to riding this bike, it quickly becomes apparent that the low to mid range components are too weak and need upgrading. RockShox Jett shocks that it comes with should be thrown away immediately. Rims are flimsy and the tires are too narrow.

I bought this bike as an all-round introduction to mountain biking. It's very good for that and the upgrades are keeping me satisfied for now. It can handle almost all terrain and climbs well but it's obvious that you'd want a more specialized ride when you get more experince. For example: it gets thrown around like crazy on gnarly & bumpy downhill runs. If you ride a lot, you will reach the point where laying the cash out for all the components you want to add starts competing with the cost of a new machine. You can't argue with the price though. I will keep this one around and tune it as a road/light trail bike when I move to the full suspension ride ;>

Similar Products Used: Demo rides on similar hardtails.
paul   Cross Country Rider [Nov 18, 2001]
Strength:

Price. Great bike for road or light off road use.

I ride pretty hard on it and just about everything on it has broken or just froze up.

Its a great bike if your only going to ride XC everyonce and awhile but it isn't built for racing or real hard riding. But now that I have replaced alot on the bike i am very happy with it but i would recommend buying a GF Sugar if your going to ride hard.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tassahara
A. Francis   Weekend Warrior [Nov 10, 2001]
Strength:

Amazing frame, very strong and light. doubble butted tubes and gussets on the down tube make it an intricate and hight quality fram. The componentry is not bad and works well. the rock shox jett fork is works well.

Maybe slightly lower spec components for the price but not bad. mine came with altus and alivio stuff.

i have used this bike for downhill in scotland and the lake district and it has not disapointed me at all. i also race it in local cross country events and it's pretty good for that too. it's a great all round bike which is comfortable to ride and can take almost everything that you can throw at it. i've upgraded mine to mostly XT stuff but i've still got the jett fork that is great for everything i do. the rims could be a bit weak as my mate buckled mine the other day but that's the first problem i've had since i bought the bike two years ago.

it's a lush fram for upgrading on or just a great bike for bombing around on.

Similar Products Used: gt outpost trail, scott peak, specialised rock hopper
G   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2001]
Strength:

REAL COMFORTABLE BIKE. CAN BE USED FOR A LITTLE BIT OF EVERY TYPE OF RIDING. I'M 6'6" AND THE XXL FRAME FITS ME PERFECT.

SEAT AND PEDALS NEED REPLACING RIGHT AWAY. IF YOUR NOT WILLING TO MAKE A FEW UPGRADES YOU MIGHT AS WELL SETTLE FOR A HUFFY FROM WALMART.

BOUGHT A ROAD BIKE TO RIDE IN THE CITY BUT WOULD RATHER RIDE THIS. IT REALLY PISSES THE ROADIES OFF WHEN YOU STAY WITH THEM ON A MTN BIKE.

Similar Products Used: TREK MTN BIKE.
Cortney   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2001]
Strength:

Price, nice colors

The seat was as hard as a rock.

I tried a bunch of different bikes within the same price range and this is the one that didnt make me feel like i was falling off. Im a beginner so Im not real sure what to compare it against. I ride almost everyday and I have no complaints except that the palms of my hands hurt the day after (Not sure why) and the seat. The dealer said this was a great bike for beginners and they were right. The price was great and I am completely satisfied with my bike.

Similar Products Used: This is my first mountain bike aside from my pink one from walmart that I got when I was 8
Gary   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2000]
Strength:

ummm...i guess it has some ok parts at least its brandname

basically everything. what can you even call the rockshox jett suspension? overpriced

i can't beleive i bought this bike! it blows. i mean i could have gotten a better bike at k mart for 300$ cheaper. this is not a real mountain bike. it is more like a road bike with knobby tires and non functioning suspension. seriously if you are gona get a fisher at least get one with genesis geometry and a functioning fork. this bike really is not a mountain bike.

Similar Products Used: my old rigid bike from wal mart
Calvin Cheung   [Sep 11, 2000]
Strength:

As everyone else said, great value for your money. The front and rear derailleurs are pretty good, although I hope to upgrade eventually. It's just a great bike for a beginner like me. For more experienced bikers, you might want to try a step up in the Gary Fishers, maybe the aquila or tassajara.

I also changed the seat and will either get my derailleurs readjusted or just get new ones b/c they're pretty noisy when the front is in 2nd.

Great bike, no real complaints. And looks cool. Just haven't gotten a real change to put it to the test just yet, mostly paved trails and road so far.

sean   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2000]
Strength:

It is light it has a strong frame, and it has a nice setup

The seat, and the Tires I would like to have wider tires, for those hills

It is a great bike I have done jumps, and many technical courses where it is really easy to turn. It also it just great, except for the seat and tires I will upgrade those soon, and the Shocks could be better but for the price it is a great bike

Edwin Cortes   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2001]
Strength:

Great stiffness, its light and can take a beating. The Genesis Frame is Awesome, Nice colors.

Saddle is to hard, Needs better Derailleurs and tires.

For the price it's a great bike for beginners, weekend warriors and even road riders. Very easy to upgrade.
All in all, I can't imagine a better bike for the recreational rider. I upgraded this baby and it's rides like a pro hardtail. So if you want a bike that’s cheap and plan to upgrade later in the future I recommend this bike.