Gary Fisher 2000 Mamba Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Sync 288, 2.5" travel fork

joe smoe   Weekend Warrior [Feb 10, 2002]
Strength:

Everthings great for the price of this bike!!

The frame is getting kind of bendy...
fork has less than an inch of travel for some reason???
left crankarm fell off after a 3 foot drop

Great price i paid 420 Can. looked around and this was the greatest deal.
i love this bike looking to upgrade to a norco saqswatch.
some parts a little weak.
great bike for beginers intermediate riders need something a little better. ive had this for 2 years and its mostly lasted.im hoping to break the frame and get one under the warrenty

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardrock
Deven   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2000]
Strength:

Sync suspension fork, v-brakes, sturdy cro-moly frame

the cat's eye pedal reflectors keep on falling out

This bike is good for people who won't do serious downhill riding. It is an excellent bike with good components for the price. I do a lot of XC riding and bike all over the place with it. It is a good bike for people just beginning to get into mtn biking. Out of all the bikes that I looked at in the same price range the Mamba had the best quality.

Similar Products Used: GT Saddleback ('99 & '00), Trek 820, Giant Rincon, GT Outpost, Raliegh M45
FERGUS LEIBLIER   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2001]
Strength:

Bullet proof frame, Awsom colors (yellow/black) good shifters, good stiff oasis seat, world class name..

entry level SR Suntour shock is ok to start with but will need to be upgraded once technique improves. probably to a manitou

Spent about 3 weeks comparing bikes for best bang for the buck and this Mamba won hands down. Awson hardtail frame that can easlily be upgraded to a world class bike. Only $$ stands in the way. Anyone who is considering going to a real bike from a cheapy should really consider this bike. Excellent place to start without cracking the bank.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, KHS, Giant
Craig Thomas   Downhiller [Apr 28, 2001]
Strength:

Definatly the price not a bad bike the only thing i put on was bar ends and "yello and red" Profile Desine Grips i love the rapid fire shifters also!

The suspention Although i just ordered new Rock Shock sid so that should make a nice diference!

Great bike Highly recomended!

Similar Products Used: none realy
Chuck   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2000]
Strength:

sub-$300 suspension bike.
Sturdy / jumps well.
Great beginner bike

Components aren't great
Shock is not adjustable

At first I was pleased with this bike and if I didn't start going off road alot I still would be. The componentry simply does not hold up to any off-road use. I have only 3 months on the bike and have already worn out the big chainring and since it doesn't have replaceable chainrings, I'm stuck with buying new crank. I had planned on buying this and upgrading as I learned more, but since I will needing a new fork and crankset soon, I will put the money into a real off-road bike.
In short: its great around town and in the country, but you will break it in the hills.

Peter   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2000]
Strength:

Fun as hell, not too heavy, gotta love the Gary Fisher Millenium Orange :)

The stock components are a little weak, chainring was destroyed early

Fun, fun fun bike if you don't trash it. If you're going to do some hardcore riding i suggest you at least upgrade shocks and crankset. Derailleurs are easily replaced as well, but not necessary. I trail ride all the time and this baby has never failed me, i just wanted to upgrade as an early christmas present. i love this bike, i highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great bike at a better price.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Specialized, GT
Patrick   Weekend Warrior [Nov 10, 2000]
Strength:

price-value ratio
solid frame
Oakland Raider paint scheme
Gary Fisher vibe

entry level componentry

My old bike is a 14 year old hybrid, and it does the job on the smooth concrete or asphalt triails, but i wanted to try some slightly more challenging terrain. The Mamba is a perfect entry-level bike for my needs. The bang-for-the-buck ratio is very high. Yes, many of the parts may wear out, but i've read reviews for bikes costing 3 or 4 times than this thing, and parts are replaced on those as well. I'll do the same on the Mamba when needed. A $1000.00 bike would not be 3 times more fun for me.
I looked at about a dozen bikes and bought this one.
This bike makes me feel like i felt with my blue Schwinn StingRay back in the olden days.

Similar Products Used: Univega 500
Specialized Navigator
Fisher Marlin
Greg Hopper   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2000]
Strength:

This is a 2001 Mamba not 2000. Great entry level bike, comfortable. Good value for the money. better colors than the 2000. Better value than Schwinn or Specialized or Giant.

Front forks, they shake and make strange noise. After 4 xc rides I have it in the shop to check the forks because they have become "jittery" or "grabby"

It's a great starter bike, the most bang for the buck!! If your just starting out this is the bike for you. Dont make the mistake of going to the "supercenter" and buying a Mongoose dual suspention like I almost did.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn, Specialized, Giant.
Fred Hernandez   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2000]
Strength:

Great frame, great tires, decent components, warranty, price, look and feel.

Plastic pedals and that's it!

Fantastic bike for $300. Fisher quality and feel, handles beatifully. As someone else mentioned frame has lifetime warranty, I'll probably just be upgrading components. Plastic pedals were first to go, propably next will go to Shimano XT or XTR. Fork is decent, but you may need to upgrade for serious XC (I'm thinking Manitou SX-R). I did a lot of research before buying and was on a budget, but this was best bike hands down for the price.

Similar Products Used: Other Front Suspension rigs
Bax   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

lifetime warranty on frame, tough, light, Rapidfires, Gary Fisher name, riser handlebar, lighter than my wife's GT Saddlback which is a much smaller bike

cheesy plastic pedals, lowgrade components but what can you expect from a front suspension for $300? needs wider tires also

nimble, tough, light, front suspension bike w/ lifetime warranty on frame for around $300. Good starter bike that you can upgrade since the frame is guaranteed forever. Thanks to Mark at Supergo for making my first mountain bike purchase hassle free. I highly recommend Supergo to anyone w/ a store in your area. E-mail me if you have any questions about the bike or my Camelbak Blowfish purchase which I also recommend

Similar Products Used: test rode Trek, GT,& Specialized. This bike impressed me the moment I rode it, hard to describe how it handles