Gary Fisher 2000 Hoo Koo E Koo Hardtail Bike

Gary Fisher 2000 Hoo Koo E Koo Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

[Jul 20, 2010]
flyingmoose

Strength:

This frame is just perfect and makes even some of the cheaper stock components not seem so bad. Heck, it outlasted 2 of my bikes so far.

I could not find one except there was no rear disc brake mount that was part of the frame, had to buy an adapter from GF, which was actually a good price.

Over the last 9 years this bike has been the mainstay of my riding. I have used it mainly for trail riding all over the east coast on any trail I could find. Never had any major issues, Like I said, great bike, good price (do not know what it is now) and it has outlasted two of three bikes (84 Haro Master).

Cake-3 which was basically the same thing sans the rear shock.

[Jul 02, 2002]
b smtih

Strength:

Genesis geometry, quality frame, climbs great, light weight.

Paint chipped pretty easily on down tube.

Bought the frame only from LBS, saw it hanging up in the shop, and asked if it was available.

Built with components from old bike - Miyata Elevation.

Love the way it handles, and climbs. Seems very nimble.
Would definetly recommend this bike to the pretty serious rider without a lot of cash laying around. It handles everyday riding on technical trails. Only had to replace the
derailler hanger.

Giant Iguana, GT backwoods, Miyata Elevation

[Feb 06, 2002]
KW BROWN

Strength:

Great frame.I'm 225 and I pound this bike.Good wheels,great geometry.Good components for the money.That 100 XC has been a great fork,and I like the bars.

Front disc is junk.Even after break in,no power.Not crazy about the Promax levers.Saddle has weak rails.

I really enjoy this bike.Tons of fun.The only things I have broken on this bike are 2 saddles a big ring and middle ring.I ride this thing alot,its just a tuff machine.This bike has been so good, my wife also rides a Fisher.If you want a quality hardtail,you need to check out Fisher.

Giant Sedona,Trek 930

[Mar 24, 2001]
Matt

Strength:

Killer paintjob. Frame geometry(!). Rock Shox Judy XC/100mm is a bump-soakin mutha. 'Trager wheelset/WTB tires get it done. Tight, tight bike. Climbs like a scared goat.

A wee bit heavy. Would rather have (at least) an LX crankset. Disc front is ok... not much power for a disc but it's aiiiight. Bar w/a cross bar is pretty much worthless and make mounting lights, comp., etc. a pain in the arse.

My red and yellow '00 Koo is a bad mamma jamma. I got a pretty good deal 'cause they wanted to make room for the '01's. The sticker was over 1K, and if that was the case I would have forked out a little more and gotten a Paragon, but this bike is awesome and I can't think of another bike in this class that comes close. Yes, the front disc could be better and the cranks will have to be upgraded eventually, but you have to keep in mind that this bike rocks as-is, and upgrades aren't NECESSARY. Plus, if it were perfect to begin with, what fun would that be?

The only thing I will 100% recommend is to get your shop to swap the cross-bar Crowbar from the get go. It has no purpose at all and makes mounting a computer next to impossible. That engineer should sober up and go design motocross bars. All five flamin chills for my rockin and rollin Koo.

Trek 6000 & Giant Iguana SE (both demo'ed). Old rigid GT All Terra that got me through college.

[Jan 22, 2001]
Gus

Strength:

Sturdy frame and pretty light, good front shock (Manitou Magnum R)

Rims a bit weak (Bontrager) and Shimano LX front derailer has some problems, back not so bad...probably will upgrade in near future, seat is pretty hard but you get used to it.

This is a pretty darn good bike for a mid-level bike, I lucked out and got it in place of a Tassajara that wasn't shipped timely due to a mix up at Fisher. I would recommend this bike to anyone not willing to spend a fortune on a hardtail and just wants a strong bike to get the job done!

[Jun 03, 2001]
gordon

Strength:

GREAT FRAME!!! Tight feeling in the curves, and nasty on the downhills. This bike has improved my riding style and confidence. A great buy.

Lots of componets that need upgrading. No matter what people say about the front disc brake. It simply does not stop the bike securely or quickly. The adjustment knob is only reached by going through the spokes, and the manuel is not worth the paper its printed on. Also, the crank is pretty low end as well.

SUPER BIKE. This bike rides like a caddy. The fork and frame setup makes this bike fun to ride. I would recommend this bike to the "middle of the road rider" who wants to ride great, but can't spend a huge wad of bucks on anything.

Giant atx

[May 31, 2001]
Jason

Strength:

Great paintjob. Front disc brake works well for a mechanical disc. Climbs like a Jeep. Turns quick. Very solid construction. A lot of bike for the money.

A tad on the heavy side. My 94 steel Bridgestone MB4 is lighter. Has more lower end components than I'd like out of the box.

I've seen this same bike at other stores WITHOUT the front disc for well over $850. I'm very happy with it. It is the nicest bike I've owned so far. I have no real complaints with it. The front Rock Shox fork kicks arse. I guess I'm surprised at the amount of confidence a bike like this gives you when taking on harder stuff.

Heavily upgraded 94 Bridgstone MB4.

[May 26, 2001]
C Dawg Kella

Strength:

genesis geometry,avid disk brakes,front magnum fork absorbs well once broken in

heavy,components not all that,seat could be softer,drive train is not for extreme riding

This bike is a definite upgrade from what im used to however the drive train has its problems. When I lay on it hard it squeeks as if it is hurting i imagine its the crank but im not sure. Its a heavy bike but then again i went for the disk brake version(avid disk brakes)which pack on the pounds. Im happy with the frame and the disk brakes which stop on a dime as long as u have them tuned properly but i must say for the 1499 canadain which is what they were asking its a rip.I got the guy to drop the price 250 and it ended up coming to 1525 with tax but originally it was going to be 1750 which is a crazy price for this product.I do a lotta single track and it seems to perform good on easy trails once u start going crazy on it shifting and laying into it tends to display its weakneses its not a hard core racer but for the 1525 canadain with tax im happy. I plan to get some new components were needed like crank and drive train as well as a new seat and suspension seat post.Overall its a good value but im sure theres better bets for the money your suposedly paying for the genesis geometry.

test drove a few in price range used to have diamond back topanga as a kid

[May 23, 2001]
Lee Perin

Strength:

Great deal good components for the money. Nice paint job red-black. Strong frame while still being flexible enough to absorb shocks. Was asked to get to mountain bike by neurosurgeon (lower back stenosis).

Bad saddle. Could use better brake levers and front derailer.

I love this bike. The people at the shop sugested and let me ride many other bikes in the price range b4 I decided on this one. I kept coming back to the Hoo-Koo because of the BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK. I realy do not use it much for trail riding but the few times I did take on really rough terrain I felt very sure of how the bike handled in the rough. My first day of serious riding I was able to get this machine up to an impresive (I was told by fellow riders this was great I am 51 yrs old and have back problems) 35mph on a level road. I did not think I could get this much road performance out of a mountain bike. My next bike will more than likely be a Sugar my son has a Tasahara I will be getting my wife a basic no-shock Fisher. I recomend this one to any one having about a grand to spend. There are better bikes out there but for the money you can't beat it.

Owned many road bikes from Pugeot Px 10-e to Mondia Special full Campy equipped with Mavic wheel set. (used for 15 yrs)

[Mar 06, 2001]
L

Strength:

Excellent geometry, solid parts pick for the price, Hayes direct mount

Portly, could have shaved weight with little added cost at the factory -- i.e. Steel chainrings?

Good deal for $649. Honestly the bike handles really well. It climbs very well and the long travel fork and short stem make the descent plush and controlled. I wish that it weren't so hefty but as long as I'm not trying to throw it in my truck I don't notice the weight. The mechanical disk brake that came stock was adequate(loud, little power) but the $107 upgrade to a Grimecca was well worth it. Since all of your braking power is provided by the front wheel the V-brake in the back is a good idea -- it is cheap,lite, dependable. Riser bars are gay and riser bars with a cross-bar are gay and heavy so I dumped them. Better climbing with flat bars at the healm, plus you don't look like the wicked witch of the west riding around -- sitting upright(Toto?)

Cannondale, Specialized S-works