Gary Fisher 2000 Big Sur Hardtail Bike

Gary Fisher 2000 Big Sur Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

[Mar 23, 2010]
Eviltwin

Strength:

Weight, Geometry, Bang-for-the-buck

It's a HARDtail - get a comfy seat. Decals look cheesy.

One of the all time greats - a classic. Fisher's Genesis frame is awesome (mine is a XL). You will be hard pressed to find a better all-around, do-anything bike for a better price.

[Feb 03, 2010]
mikey

Strength:

Scandium, made in usa, Quality frame,fast,Committed to speed,Rewards Experienced riders,Light ,Fantastic Build Quality,Flaweless,Mavic crossrides Juicey 7,s ,,Huge satasfaction in every way every ride..

not suited to clumsy riders & slow riders ,, use as intended only.

My 4th mountainbike,, By far & away my best ,Buy a scanduim Hardtail fron fisher one of the Founding Fathers of our Beloved sport & i Guarntee if you use the Componets listed you will never change

[Jul 07, 2003]
Triolian National

Strength:

weight/price

?

I love this bike. Its light and strong, kicks ass on climbing. It had a few upgrades when I bought it, but I love it. The front end does get squirrely on climbs but I am light at 155 lbs.

trek 6500

[Jul 07, 2003]
Johan van der Heijden

Strength:

Genesis Geometry, Value for Money

Front Suspension Manitou SX, brakes

Great bike, I love the Genesis Geometry. Especially climbing becomes fun with this! I recently broke my frame, but it will be replaced by Gary. Great service!! The reason I bought this bike is the good value for money balance. It performed well in European Alps, Belguim Ardens and the dutch mountains (just joking).

[Sep 01, 2003]
Jeroen

Strength:

Geometry and quality components used

Not a real weakness but finding replacement parts for the Bontrager components is hard when most of the shops only sell Shimano (compatible) parts...

After riding the bike for well over two years and eating approx. 6000km of dirt with it I think I am entitled to chew on some minor details.
The problem with the Bontrager parts (crank, bottom bracket, rear/front hubs) is that it is hard to find substitute parts here in Holland and if you do you do not have much choice or variation. So, if I ever buy a new bike it will be all Shimano components (except for Magura brakes).
I changed the drive train twice since I purchased the bike. I think this is normal because there is not much left after 2 times 3000km :)
I had the bearings of the rear wheel including cassette body changed ones but that problem hasn't come back. And what amazes me the most is that the Bontrager RE1 pedals are still holding, the look awful but keep going!!

The bottom line is that I think that I will be riding this bike until the frame breaks!

Marlin '99

[Jul 05, 2002]
Stark

Strength:

Still a great bike.

Seat, brake levers, rear tire.

After two years, I still really like this bike. I also have a sugar 2, but actually prefer the big sur for trails with more down than up hill riding. It would be nice if you could lock out the front shocks for riding on pavement. The addition of a suspension seatbost is a great improvement.

Somehow I bent the heck out of the small chainring but it bent back and works just fine.

2001 sugar 2

[Oct 03, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

Genesis geometry, some stock components (XT rear, LX levers, re-1 clipless pedals)

Most other stock components (seat, bontrager rims, tires, bontrager crank , manitou SX fork. As someone said before ugly too

I bought this bike originally for fast commuting around the city but have been using and abusing it on trails. I like the frame very much but I had to send away the fork after 3 months because the steer tube came loose which wouldnt be a big deal but the service from manitous distributor or whoever fixes it was terrible and for some reason I ended up having to pay for it. Also if u wreck alot of chain rings the first thing you'll find out is that a regular 4 bolt ring wont fit very well on the bontrager comp crank, it will work but you could be in trouble if the chain slips off. The only chain ring that u can get is the racelite which is about 100 canadian loonies. Im slowly adding better and tougher components to this bike, and it is good for its money so im giving it 4 flaming poo's but overall with the bontrager components its only gets 3 flaming poo's.

Specialized, Rocky Mountain.

[Sep 16, 2001]
Dan K

Strength:

excellent price and excellent bike.

No weaknesses. I think it is so ugly.... that it's beautiful. So this isn't really a weakness.

Very good bike for a very very low price. If you can find it get it (by I doubt you will).

good luck

[Sep 11, 2001]
Jon Halligan

Strength:

Good parts for the price. Nice geometery fits me perfect.

Rims

Great riding and handling bike.
Strong frame, I need it Im 6'1" and 250 lbs. Bought the first one, Nov 99

Trek 7000, Specialized hardrock

[Oct 16, 2001]
Ross Anderson

Strength:

Good frame design puts over the rear tire for better traction. Pretty good components LX, 80mm. Bomber Air Shock. Good brakes (for V-brakes)

Rims bend easy

It's a good bike for the money if plan on riding for a while. It's not a hardcore downhill bike, but it can take a thrashing. If your an intermidiate mountain biker this is a good bike. (The shock kicks @*%)