Gary Fisher 1999 Xcaliber Hardtail Bike

1999 Gary Fisher Xcaliber, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou X-Vert E, 4.0" travel fork

James Toogood   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2017]
Strength:

Quality, frame, forks

None that I have encountered.

Great all round bike. Extremely stable, light and every ounce of effort put into the pedals gets translated to the road.

Scott   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

Super lightweight Easton Frame and the Hayes Discs of course! The riser bar works for me too.

There's a pretty noticeable creak in the frame when I'm cranking hard uphill, fork is leaking fluid out the top of the right side stanchion.

A do-anything-once hardtail made for the trail rider who doesn't want full suspension. This bike is NOT intended to be a racer with its stock set-up, so if you come across this bike in the classifieds, please bear that in mind. I did Moab in the spring of '99 with my Trek and now wish I would've gotten the X-Cal in time for the trip. The bike has made me a much more confident descender, and with the slacker geometry and heavier weight, has also made my climbing style much more powerfully efficient. And it's also managed to go more than three years without any major rebuilds or repairs. I'll be moving on to full suspension in the near future, but the X-Cal will always be remembered as the catalyst for my "new-and-improved" riding ability. Four and a half flamin' chilis picantes for value since I did have to swap some parts and a full five for overall because it is so d*mned fun.

Similar Products Used: Nothing REALLY similar, but previous hardtails I've had include a '98 Trek 8300 and a '97 GT Karakoram
Halvard Avdem   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2002]
Strength:

The frame,perfect geometry,climbs like there were no tomorrow. Hayes brakes, bontrager stuff, excpt the wheels.

Manitou fork, Bontrager rear hub, I managed to bend the axle when i was way out in the woods, suddenly the freehub did not work. Bad paint.

Great bike superb handling both uphill and downhill,tioga really sticks to anything.The SID will have to go its to flexy, wheels will also have to go, as soon as i can afford it. Sram kicks ass never any trouble.Perfect for all day thrashing. A few minor upgrades and it would suit almost anyone.

Similar Products Used: GT Ruckus 1.0, 2.0, avalanche, Zaskar x. Gary fisher x caliber 2000.(better fork) Trek 8900, 8500 and many more
Rob Wilson   Downhiller [Nov 15, 2001]
Strength:

The frame has absolutely AMAZING geometry. For the most part the components spec. is great.

The fork - Can you say "pogo stick with blown seals?"
The saddle - Easily changed though
The wheels - What were they thinking?! these things look like they belong on a road bike! I cracked the rear wheel two weeks after buying the the thing.

Let me say this: I LOVE THIS BIKE! This bike is 100% sure footed in almost any terrain. With the 24" rear wheel it's a bit of a pig up the hills, but throw a 26" back on and BAM! You my friend, have yourself a billy goat on crack. I've done as big as a 7' to flat on this thing with absolutely no complaints from the frame. The landings are a bit harsh, but hey, its aluminum, so i'm not complaining on that. If they had just put on a better fork and wheelset, this bike would blow away most of the competition right off the show oom floor. Now...all I need are those Azonic 454 cranks, and the Evil chain guide...

Similar Products Used: None
Dave L   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame geometry, awesome brakes, excellant climber, good overall componants

bad tires, horrible seat, disk brake roter bolts come loose, seat post clamp had to be messed with a lot to prevent seat from creaping down

Super fun bike. Been riding serious single track trails since 1988 in Californin, Oregon & Washington and this is the most fun bike I've had. I'm a big rider, 6'1" & well over 200 lbs and this bike (large frame) handles awesome, from technical climbing and switchbacks to hauling a$$ downhill and everything inbetween. I've only bent the back rim & 1 spoke once and it trued up beautiful. Didn't like the bright color at first but it grows on ya. Nobody thats tried my bike didn't like it. Great ride!

Mace   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Hayes Discs
Bontrager Wheels

None found yet

I'm a child of the 60's but this bike beats any trip I've been on! Fun is what I ride for and the X provides it in bunches. My local bike shop had to order one in from the warehouse for me to test ride and when I got there the mechanics were gathered around it like hungry dogs. I bought it right now. When I first saw the X reviewed in MB I bought into their line about it being too gaudy for the average person. But when you see this bike up close it reaches out and grabs you. The component package is outstanding for the bucks. I feel that a suspension post is a must to make this a complete package. We rode the Crest Trail last weekend, which is just a fantastic ride. The Hayes Dics are incredible, with none of the squealing I've read about. I did find some loose rotor bolts when I got home, but evidently Fisher got the message from MB about the Torx head bolts as my bike came with metric allens. These brakes take some getting used too because they require only a fraction of the finger pressure of my old rim units. They will put you over the bar if you get too frisky. I called Fisher about the change in Spec from the Bontrager Cranks to the Shimano's and they said that they pulled the Bontragers due to Quality problems with the chain rings. Makes no difference to a guy like me. This bike rides like a dream and turns heads out on the trail. Look no further if this is the class of bike you are considering. Break out the chilies boys and girls!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Moab Disc
Steve B   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Hayes disk brakes
Good drive train
100mm ssmmootthhee

Screws that hold rotor to hub came loose

Very happy with this bike. It is new to me after comming off of a Cannondale F2000. Man, this bike flows. I've only hit 3 good solid rides since my purchase - Man! I'm already as one with this bike. It's sort of wierd - the bike is like a body part or something. The rear end is solid but not abusive, and the shock eats roots and rocks well. I initially thought the x-vert to be a weakness (being a rock shock & Zoke fan) but after some rides, other then a top out here and there, the shock perfoms well. SSWWEEEETT!!

Similar Products Used: Trek 8500lt
Nate   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

Really handles rough handling well, can take big hit. The brakes are by far the best!

The fork and cranks. I, like Rob, am getting raceface cranks with the new ramped chainrings, and probably upgrading the fork to a 'zocci, the manitou keeps locking up.

A great all around bike, great for hard x-c, tough technical singletrack, trials, dual slalom, and some downhill... I'll stick to my full suspension for downhill though! This bike rocks!!

Similar Products Used: Fisher Joshua (had for 2 years)
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2000]
Strength:

This bike handles like none I've ever owned. It can climb, descend and is quick off of the line. And the disc brakes are truly outstanding

Add a suspension seatpost to smooth out the ride even more.

This is a fabulous bike, great frame, nice parts group and great ride especially if you can get it on a close out for @ $1100.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000
Cannondale F700
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2001]
Strength:

Frame, frame geometry, brakes, and fork before it breaks. This bike climbs what most riders only ride down. Descents are fast, precise and confident. The best at any price for hardtail free ride.

Fork when it breaks, LX chain rings, stock chain, rear hub, and paint. The fork is sweet before breaking. For 170-lb. rider it bottoms a couple times on each ride and eventually disintegrates. For my riding style, bottoming the fork a couple time a ride is good, I know I’m using all the suspension. I replaced the original fork with a 2000 Manitou Xvert (only $199 from Price Point) and after several adjustments (as expected) it works great. This fork is a little on the heavy side. Time will tell if it holds up. The LX cranks are supriseingly strong; however, the chain rings wear out fast.

This bike would be a good cross country racer, but not for the highly competitive. With Hayes disk brakes, long travel fork and other hefty components, it's about 2 lbs. too heavy. Go buy another bike for that, but keep this one for all around fun. You will beat the average rider up anything and pass up most FS bikes on the downhill. The FS riders will never keep up with you on the switch backs.

I have about 3000 mile of nasty mountain riding on the bike. The brake pads will last a about 1500 miles. When changing the pads, I change the break fluid also. It was suprisingly contanimated. There was no noticable change in performace, and that's good.

I run higher than average tire pressure (50-55 lbs.) so the wheels remain straight. The bearings in the Bontrager hub are weak. That's it for complaints.

This bike is a great ride and has taken me on many great epics. It has a certain flow to it, it's stable and comfortable at high speeds (38-42 mph) and can also handle tight technical sections like a trials bike. I've been mountain biking for 12 years and have had more fun on this bike than any other.