Diamondback 2001 Topanga Comp Hardtail Bike

2001 Topanga Comp

DJ   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing tires (kenda klawz), deore shifters, light frame,

suspension blows, the seat comes loose, get new pedals

Bottom line...the bike is really really good deal for the price. Even not for the price its a good bike. My only beef with this bike is that the seat comes loose after a good thrashing. It makes this incredibly annoying loud grinding/squeak but it can be cured with some allen wrench tourque.

second beef is that the suspension fork is a peice. The thing has NO adjustmenbt possiblilities and don't look at it for some good chatter bump action. Can't handle it. The screw adjuter thingies on top of the fork are nearly impossible to turn if you still want to keep youre fingers. Tip: use pliers. But i guess it works for a beginner.

I also didn't like the pedals but thats just personal preferance. I got some clipless instead cuz the stock pedals got bashed through kingdom come .

BUT...the tires are incredible. They can handle any terrain with ease and don't suddenly slip out like some do. YOu can feel everything the tire is about to do.

The drivetrain is unbraekable. I took the thing on the beach and left with most of the beach in my chain but rode 5 miles with it anyway and nothing happened to it. Unbreakable.

Rims are solid stuff. You ever flipped a 10 pound rock into the rim wall and 25mph? My last bike's rims cracked straight through from that. These rims left a with a small scratch.

I do fast downhills and long climbs, technical stuff, anything i can throw at myself. This bike does it all. Get it.

Similar Products Used: yukon
Marc Chabot   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2002]
Strength:

Great price, Magnum fork, Deore

I would've liked bar ends, but after market (Diamondback evn!) were easily found and added...

Well, I tried about 25-30 bikes. Shopped around and for the price, I couldn't have done better than the Topanga Comp. Even some of the closeouts I tried, which were originally priced much more buit were now in the same price rang, didn't feel as god. I'm very happy with my purchase!

This is a great bike for people on a budget (or who wouldn't be able to justify spending $1000 on a bike for various reasons...) I'm a clydesdale (6', 235lbs) and this bike has withstood some prety hairy rides.

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude comp
Couple of Cannondales
A bunch of others too numerous to recall
Derek   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2002]
Strength:

Good price, decent suspension fork, deore shifters

Stupid seat comes loose after a good ride and it makes a ton of noise but can be fixed in a second with a couple twists of the allen wrench. I guess they could've put a better fork on...maybe something like phylos ( did I spell that right?)

Cool bike. I take this thing on anything I can find and it does well, even in the extremely techical areas (I LOVE tech rides) but I recomd a pair of clipless pedals for this thing cuz the stock pedals get mushed up pretty bad when you start bashing the pedals on rocks.

Similar Products Used: Giant Yukon
gage   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2001]
Strength:

here is the thing.
i like this bike-it is my first foray into suspension rides. i have ridden a nil-suspension mb for almost a decade with no complaints. i am however getting older. the topanga comp(now my mistress)has been an amazing leap up in ride enjoyment. 90% of my comute is riverbank trail and this bike has performed admirably(i am currantley hooked up to a trainer this winter for the first time ever.)

seat post comes loose(makes noise) after big trails.

you cannot get a better(in my humble opinion)entry level mb with these components anywwhere else.
by the way, i have lost 47 lbs since i have started riding this great bike

Similar Products Used: none-the test ride and yellow paint job were too good
Kevin Pierce   [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

Just about everything!!

The seat comes loose.

I just started biking this year so I don't know a heck of a lot about bikes but from what I've done so far this bike kicks as*. You won't find it as cheap as I did because my girlfriend works at G.I. Joe's and Pro Formed it. I have heard of people getting it for around $450 though and it's worth every penny. All I can say is try it out and see for yourself.

Similar Products Used: NA
Jon   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

An awesome deal for $450! Magnum fork is very plush -- a big upgrade from the 2000 model. Great geometry for climbs -- does well on decents, too. Deore front and rear at this price is unheard of!

Paint chips easily, seat comes loose occasionally.

If you can find this bike for under $500, get it! It out-performs most $700-$800 bikes!

Similar Products Used: Giant Iguana
Ken Ferraro   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame,Geometry,Derailleurs,Cranks(Five Ds are as good as LX)Manitou Magnum is better than Rock Shi* Jett,The new metalic silver paint looks much better than the dumb ass orange,Comes with Geax Sedona tires in stead of Kenda Klaws

Seat,High rise stem,Brake levers,Bottom braket,

Thi bike is the best deal at 500 clams.You can spend more but you would just be getting hosed.Put $200 into this bike and you have a ride every bit as good as something that goes for a Grand.I am a large fellow (6 feet 220lbs)and this thing takes anything I can do to it.I had up graded from the regular Topanga to the XTS-1 FS/XC.I had liked the first Topanga so much I brought back the XTS and got the Topanga Comp and am in Love all over again.I highly recomend thi bike IT ROCKS