Diamondback 2000 Response Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281-R fork

bill white   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Strong rims for the price. Good overall value for the price.
descent part spec for the price

seat, front fork bottoms out (what do you ecpect out of a bike in this price range though).

This bike is a good investment for someone who is looking to try mountain biking. It can handle mild to moderate off road use, and has rims that will not need to be trued very often. However, if you are looking to get into serious off road riding, it will only last so long. For the money, it is a good value

Similar Products Used: GT aggressor
al kaholic   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2002]
Strength:

ummmm....thinking....lets just say... it rolls???

where do I begin??

If you are considering buying this bike, why don't you just go to WalMart and save yourself a couple of bucks?? For this price range you may as well buy a rigid fork instead of a "suspension" fork. If you are serious about riding, save your money and buy a hardtail in the $600-700 range. We all know its all about the rider and not the gear, but it sure sucks when a good rider is held back because of crappy gear. My reccomendation is a Mongoose black diamond series- either the hard luck or the deuce. For the price range, you can't go wrong with either of those bikes. So there you go Hue Jass.

Similar Products Used: mongoose hard luck
Bob   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2003]
Strength:

Fast, light, nice looking, comfortable

terrible components, rear derailer (I know theres a u in there somewhere) was destroyed miles away from home or trail, not to expensive to fix

Best bike I have owned, not bad except for some mechanical problems. Ever since it was fixed, No problems have occured yet

Similar Products Used: Roadmaster Mt. Sport, Fuji Nevada
hue jass   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2001]
Strength:

it is fast light sort of strong but good for money
very fast i can smoke anybody in neighborhood notice i am 13
and the funnest part is running from cops let me tell u take the nature trail your out of there its easy

oh let me tell u what i broke some things ive broke the hanger 4 TIMES bent the back rim got me some double walls ive also bent the front rim my gears screw up a lot off 3 foot drop offs and steps and picnic tables i also broke the pedals doing a drop off probly only like 2 feet also wore out bottom bracket got me an XT

buy the bike its worth the money not from keith he is evil especially dont buy pedals from the wheel FRANKLIN BICYCLE COMPANY all the way anyways buy the bike get u some water bottle holders go head and buy some hangers in advance get u a shock get u a thomson seatpost youll be hooked up
also learn how to run from police
in other words BUY THIS BIKE it kicks whoha
take it from stan the man burns
also somebody reply to this whats the best bike to buy for around 6 or 7 hundred im looking at specialized rockhoppers

Similar Products Used: i have a haro group 1 and i can kick your booty
Jack Gehon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

Over all a light , strong bike . comfortable and easy to ride under just about any condition.I find climbing steep hills a challenge and the bike perfporms well under load.

I have found that the stock brake pads are just not good enough. The free wheel let go after 2 months leaving me stranded . The cartridge on the cranks is one of the lower entry level models and did not stand up to the work load I gave it.

Either I got a lemon , or the mechanic that does the warrenty work is a little confused on how to do repairs . I would like to recommend this bike to all but would feel guilty doing so at this time .

Similar Products Used: Infinity
Verlyn Hays   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 2000]
Strength:

Shifting, Braking, comfort, lightness of frame, ride, value

None noted

This bike was a birthday gift from my wife because I wanted to get back into bicycling. Its the first nice bike I've ever owned and its great. The more I ride it, the more I like it. Shifting is smooth and effortless, adjustments (the few needed) are easy and its very comfortable to ride. I got the bike for all surface type use and it has handled everything beyond expectations. For a returning non-competition biker, this is a great bike. After this, I will never ride a cheap bike again. I would recommend this bike to anyone that wants a really good all around bike without having to hawk your first born.

Similar Products Used: Cheap bikes
Andy Piteo   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

A very competive price with many extras not found on bikes of similar cost. Easy to ride and become aquainted with, much lighter than I expected considering the durable construction. Welds at the joints look very clean and the finish is of a very high quality.

The pedals appear as if they came out of a generic parts bin, and take away from an otherwise sleek product appearance. Seat is a little uncomfortable.

I started riding consistently last year on a Department store Bicycle and just upgraded to this particular product. I no longer consider myself a novice, however I am somewhat intimidated by some of the terms and high tech jargon associated with this sport. I do recognize a bargain when I see one, and comparing many different models by several manufacturers led me to choose this Bicycle. I am very pleased with the ride, design, and construction, and would gladly recommend this product to similarly qualified enthusiasts. The contrast between this, and my sherman tank of a bike, is quite amazing, and with the deal I got, the cost differential between the two products was suprisingly low. I think this is a perfect choice for riders who are just starting out, or upgrading from a situation like mine.

Similar Products Used: Murray Mt. Rage II
eric lanstrum   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2001]
Strength:

nice ride,good gear ratio

lower crank bearings went bad in less then 20 rides ,might be do to improper assemby at manufacturer,no way of contacting from abraud,peddles are flimsy,replaced after 2 rides

customer service from germany much to be desired,bike baught at a us store, affes ,armed forces dealer,mechcanics
have little knoledge,buy from state side dealer next

Similar Products Used: hm
Morpheus   Racer [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

The DB Response is an excellent value for the money. Light, tough and nimble it rides very well and is a good platform for customized upgrades. I reccomend changing the stock seat out in favor of something more ergonomic and anatomically friendly; and possibly adding a good suspension seatpost as well. A better, stronger front shock is also a wise idea if any serious off-road riding is anticipated.

Replace the stock seat and pedals first, then add a suspension seat post and heavier duty front suspension.

The DB Response is a great mountain bike all-in-all. You can pay more but you won't get a much better bike. My advice is to find a good deal on a DB Response and then customize it to suit your needs. So far I have averaged 90+ miles per week (merciless, wicked miles) for the last three months on my Response and it has held up very well.

However, make sure your personal bike guru knows his stuff before you trust your bike to him. An experienced bicycle repair/maintance person can make all the difference in the world between good, safe riding and having a lame (and possibly dangerous) bike. Caveat cyclist: If your bike isn't tuned well, it won't ride worth a damn - regardless how much you paid for it.

The bottom line is that a DB Response is a fine bike for anyone interested in a very well built mountain bike that rides great and is easily upgraded. The DB Response can certainly be made into a competition machine, if the rider is up for it.

Anyway, if you can ride a DB Response down to a worn off nub within three years of purchasing it, you will have EARNED a $2000 mountain bike as your next cycling purchase,..