Claud Butler Olympus Hardtail Bike

Claud Butler Olympus Hardtail Bike

• Brakes: Grimeca Hydraulic
  • Fork / Color: Rock Shox Judy XC, black.
  • Frame / Color: Easton Alloy main tubes, Brushed.
  • Frame size: 18” (45.7cm)
  • Drivetrain: Shimano XT Deore

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 09, 2003]
    tamlin

Strength:

forged alloy hubs, superb looks, amazingly light

calipers are cast and would be better machined like judy etc, falks are near bottom of rock shock range, sometimes feels odd when turning sharp.

superb bike but for the £600 I paid I could have got a magnesium frame, better wheels and cnc machined calipers and some change!

OVERALL
    [Oct 06, 2003]
    Mike

Strength:

This bike looks great with its wide Easton alloy tubes and Vuelta XRP Aero Plus wheels, bomb proof as described below. Its light and pretty quick with a change of tires and even handles those rough and technical downhill sections excellently for a cross-country bike. The frame is very robust, responsive and provides a very smooth and comfortable ride. Best of all this English hand built bike offers a lifetime’s guarantee, Priceless, although I reckon I won’t be needing it.

With its high frame and the Kore Lite 2 bars and stem the gear levers take huge gauges out the frame and almost cut through the cables when you need to bail out and the bars cross over the frame. There are a few simple and easy ways to get around this, although a change of handlebars solved this for me. The other choice would have been to change the stem with a higher reach, although, I would not ever compromise on the Thomson Elite.

I have great confidence in this product and with its lifetime guarantee I’m sure the manufacturers do too. It’s a great ride smooth, light, fast and very robust. With all its components it was a good buy and good value for money. However, like any bike you always want new and better parts than you already have so on reflection you might be as well buying the cheaper model with the same frame and lifetimes guarantee. I have so far replaced the Kore stem with a Thomson Elite and its non-descript seat post with the Thompson Elite also. I have also replaced the Kore Lite 2 bars wit a pair of Easton Pro Taper (up riser) bars to overcome the problem mentioned above. The folks are average and will definitely need replacing when you start taking the bike to greater extremes, definately my next purchase. The wheels, well what can I say, Surprised, these wheels are Bomb Proof after driving my car clean over them and with not even a scratch on them. I will inevitably change most of the components that originally came on the bike eventually but overall this bike has been a good purchase for me and would recommend anybody to give it a try. This bike carries The George Cross, very well and I for one feel honored to own a Bike with the Claud Butler name.

OVERALL